1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Luis Palma

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Notorious, Aug 28, 2023.

Discuss Luis Palma in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Hope N Ur Heart

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone followed closely by Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Them all!!
    I agree he has a good delivery and shot on him,but i felt today that our build up play broke down a lot when he was on the ball,either he lost it or misplaced a pass.

2. Big C

It’s difficult to decide who is worse him or Kuhn!!! Both flatter to deceive and their final ball is generally pathetic. I don’t think either have the mentality to play for Celtic.

Hope N Ur Heart likes this.
  3. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    It's interesting to come across some of the comments on here about both Palma and Kuhn.

When scanning the 'new posts' noticed Paddy McCourt's thread was bumped once again and there are those that considered him such a wasted talent and is still regarded by many as something of a cult hero status, yet he actually onlyu scored 10 and 9 assists in 87 appearances for Celtic in total. Yet Palma has already surpassed that combined tally (12 gaols 13 assists) in roughly half the number of appearances.

Now, I'm not saying that Paddy McCourt is some kind of benchmark/yardstick by which all wingers should be measured, but it is interesting that there are those that have already writing him off.

Is Palma the finished article? No.

The truth is, very few players that Celtic sign will ever be the finished article, with impeccable passing, perfect decision making, lightning quick and deadly in front of goal. Quite simply, those that are will always be attracting bids from richer clubs in more glamourous leagues. Then again, few are all of those things anyhow, aside from the likes of Messi or Mbappe etc.

Wingers are by nature mercurial players, which means there is always likely to be a degree of inconsistency about them, because not everything they try is going to pay off.

But things can be coached and improved on, but 25 goal contributions (incl 9 goals & 7 assists in the league) in his first season is pretty * good, that only O'Riley and Kyogo bettered this season.

paulmcq1888, CH4, Moustache and 4 others like this.
  4. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I seem to repeat this a lot but I just can’t get it. He worked his * off today as well, and one of the labels he gets is selfish and doesn’t play for the team, and then the same people turn around and criticise him for being a bit more choosy about when he goes for the killer ball or difficult option.

Seen guys saying he was lucky to get a winner or else we’d be telling him to go, seen him thrown in as effective as Yang. Which is just flat out wrong, objectively wrong, like not something that can be labelled an opinion, just nonsense.

He has the 2nd highest goal contribution this season, his creative stats are insane, better than O’Riley’s. I’m excited to see what he can do next year after a year here, settled, a full pre-season with us having time to work with him coaching him.

His contribution this year seems to be dismissed, and he got 2 * Champs League goals, was so unlucky for a 3rd being disallowed. And this isn’t a comparison as players here with this comment, just to highlight how rare an accomplishment that is for us at that level - he equalled Jota’s return from the CL last year. He’s also halfway towards Henrik’s. He has a level of talent and unpredictable play, vision and quality that is hard to get at us. He just needs refined a bit, some rough edges shaved and for a bit more good decision making coached into him to make the most of his ability. Look at his passion celebrating on the bench the last Hun game, he’s not the selfish guy that he seems to have gained the label of. I hope to * we don’t chase him out the club, I fear it’s already too late with the change of agent. But watching him celebrating today, and on the bench against the Huns a game he was supporting his teammates on the bench rather than being a star, some comments of him reflecting on improving and demanding more from himself. I’m more hopeful we will have a star next season.

eire4, paulmcq1888, Moustache and 2 others like this.
  5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    IMG_2917.jpeg
    This is the stats for his ‘final ball’ and end product. I don’t understand how people can watch what he brings, his creativity and vision and think it’s pathetic. It’s not what I see at all, and it’s definitely not what is reflected when you look at the data.

James, Dannybhoy81, Hammy89 and 2 others like this.
  6. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I think he suffers from similar things to Sinclair.

He's a left winger, able to carry the ball, likes to cut in and have the shot.

None of this is a bad thing. However, the shots are more likely not to go in the back of the net than they do - consider so much of our play is wing play, people notice the misses and somehow forget about the good stuff that happens with it all.

I say this, as someone who actually likes him as well.

I don't think he's the best we've had, certainly doesn't help that he's basically replacing Jota of all people. But as far as left wingers are concerned, he's decent and something to work on.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Liam Scales likes this.
  7. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

I totally agree! For some reason he's a really hard sell for people.

Over the past few weeks he actually seems like such a happy guy too, he's been delighted in every celebration, even when he's not played. Walking around yesterday with his wee gopro and a big grin on his face. Seems likable enough to me.

Liam Scales and Crilly like this.
  8. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I don't get it. I genuinly can't take to him, he seems slow yet burst by that defender yesterday. He seems greedy yet sets every * up. He has a wicked delivery from corners. He's got a bit of flair.

Maybe he'll change my mind, his hard work yesterday defending and attacking did make me think well done.

Zander likes this.
  9. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

He struggles when getting the ball deeper or in packed areas as he doesn’t have that initial 5/10 yards burst but he still took the full back on plenty.

His corners were * brilliant as well, something we’ve missed when he’s not played. Should of had 2 goals as well and set up a nice few chances.

He’s not a starter yet but a very good squad player and has shown more than Kuhn for me.

OverandOver, honda and Crilly like this.
  10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    He’s been working hard all season. He’s won the ball back in the final 3rd more than anyone else this season.

More than Maeda. That’s mad.

Hammy89 likes this.
  11. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I'm probably just jealous he's got more hair than I had at 16 :56:

Liam Scales likes this.
  12. Andrew Robertson

There's a player there unlike kuhn

13. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Like a few players this season palma is probably one of the most guilty for it....taking 2 or 3 touches too many at the box.

Dan Breen and Hope N Ur Heart like this.
  14. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Was way better than Khun yesterday.
    His corner deliveries were really decent-way better than MOR's.
    He does seem to have ability, so would hang onto him but needs a lot of coaching.

15. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Wonder if we could play him in the 10 position with O’Reilly likely away. Could be an option in there and out wide.

honda likes this.
  16. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Sorry was watching the wrong game, silly me, I watched a game he scored the winner and was motm.

Not sure when the rerun was from, defo was St Mirren though and we won 3-2

17. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I don't dispute any of that, mate; but there's a reason Rodgers hasn't played him much in the period that coincides with our best form of the season. It's not really that paradoxical: he's easily the best winger at the club by some distance (sorry, Brendan, but he is); but we are a better team with Maeda and Forrest.

I've changed my mind on him, though FWIW. I think he can turn it round. The thing that changed it for me was seeing his heartfelt joy at how well Forrest was doing when he, Palma, was on the bench. That didn't fit with my narrative about him, so I've had to reconsider. I think all of his (very real) flaws are coachable and he does offer so much.

18. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    If he had a bit of pace he would be much better but he hasn’t which is a concern.

Again like Khun I will be ruthless and want better.

19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Definitely, not disagreeing with that. I’d have Maeda and Forrest infront of him just now, but just think people talk * about him. The amount of times I’ve seen his end product compared to Yang and him called lazy I just don’t understand. And him being first in the team for winning the ball in the final 3rd and highest chances created backs that up.

20. Hope N Ur Heart

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone followed closely by Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Them all!!
    Interesting comments about Palma(Half empty/Half full supporters observations).I certainly see weaknesses in his play,but will be looking for the 'positives' that others see.Hopefully coaching into next season will improve his performances for me.HH