1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. John Bhoy79 What chance have you got against a tie and a crest

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Spot on mate. I said myself in an earlier post that he's done as much with that Spurs squad as can be reasonably expected. The way some people are talking you'd think they'd finished 5th bottom instead of 5th top. Far from being 'found out' Ange has proved that he can cope with the demands of the best league in the world. How many other managers would be deemed a failure by getting 5th place in their debut season after losing(and not replacing) their best player and not having the luxury of dirty foreign money to spend? The negative press he's getting now is hardly surprising though. It's what they do in England, they build someone up just to knock them down. Some of the flak is clearly just arrogance because Ange hasn't come to Spurs from Spain, Italy etc. The odious Jonathan Liew is especially priggish in that regard with his unconcealed disgust that Ange should have been given a job in the precious Premier League bordering on the edges of actual hate. If Postecoglou is backed properly then he has every chance of getting into the CL places next season.

2. murphy88

Where they have finished this season is about right for them. The problem is, since matchday 19 to now, their form would have them 9th, behind Newcastle, Crystal Palace, Man Utd, Chelsea and the top 4. That’s why there is scrutiny on his managerial capabilities down south at the minute. That’s the nature of football. It’s a here and now sport. Look at the pelters Rodgers was getting back in February time, then compare that to plaudits he is getting now. That’s football for you. Spurs have been struggling for a while now, and with Ange taking a pop at the club as a whole and falling out with fans in the stand, I can only see it ending one way. I think he has a harder job on his hands now compared to at start of the season.

NakamuraTastic and bigmac7288 like this.
  3. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    The job he has at spurs is a thankless task, i doubt he'll be allowed the time to build anything there.

NakamuraTastic and seanm like this.
  4. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    It's not like he didn't know that going into the job. I like the guy, but I have little sympathy for him just now as it was obvious how things were going to pan out at spurs. They are a basket case of a club.

NakamuraTastic, seanm and The Prof like this.
  5. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    A few of you writing Ange off here. I dunno, I have faith in him. I think he's got this.

6. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    I tend to agree, he is a stronged willed and very clever person, if he gets the chance to sign who he needs he will make a success of it 100%

7. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    He's had a good 1st season by all accounts. He had to take that job. I believe if it was a bottom half type side he turns it down. But it was too good an opportunity.

First season after losing Kane and he's had them in the top 6. I'd say once the dust settles people will see the job he's done.

8. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Him and his agent were working hard behind the scenes for months to get it though. Wasn't just like he was just offered it and couldn't say no. That was the real dissapointing thing. He was desperate for it

NakamuraTastic and honda like this.
  9. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Is what it is mate.

Its the biggest job you could get after 2 years managing in Scotland having been a relative unknown most of your career.

I don't blame him one bit.

10. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    Is there amy evidence of this? Not saying it aint true, I could imagine Ange planning ahead, he did so whilst manager for us

11. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I wasn't really talking about the job he's done so far, it was more in reference to him unlikely getting the time, or resources, needed to build something there. He must have known that before taking the job, as everyone else did, so I have little sympathy for him with the flak he's getting just now as it was pretty inevitable he'd not be able to deliver the frankly insane expectations of the spurs fans with the tools he had, or would get. But he went there anyway.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  12. BigDoggyWoofWoof

If you're a guy like Ange, you're going to back yourself to effect the turnaround at Spurs. Bear in mind he came into our club and wasn't even allowed to bring his assistant manager and within minutes had convinced our skinflint, control-freak board to let him buy a boatload of anonymous Asian players. If you pull that off, you probably reckon you can turn it around at Tottenham as well.

The problem he has isn't just Levy, it's the club culture extending to the support. They expect to finish 4th every year and that's about it. Anything short of 4th a disaster, anything beyond it pie in the sky. Trying to convince him to throw the game against City is just a loser's mentality, it's like something the diddy clubs' support up here do. Mentality isn't something you can easily change, as clubs like Spurs and United demonstrate. Once a losing attitude seeps in, it's like in the grain, there's * all you can do.

13. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Wonder what the media and fans will say about their league when city get to 6 or 7 in a row?
    They are always quick to call the french league a farmers league. Laugh at us for having no competition.
    Look down on La lIga for being a 2 horse race.

I mean, they're already there anyway, but how far down a sequence of wins would City need to get before that penny drops.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

NakamuraTastic and Avatar Daizen like this.
  14. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Never. Man city could be on 7 o 8 in a row and they'd still be calling it the best most competitive league in the world.

15. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Yeah he was getting interviews for it before we had even won the league last season. If it wasn't Spurs I reckon would have been off to another team last summer. Once your heads been turned like that there's no going back

16. aliceinsound

It was reported his agent, who is based in London and friends with Daniel Levy, was trying to orchestrate the move for months. But he was only offered the job after Arne Slot turned it down around this time last year

In his defense Ange may have been completely happy, and planning to be staying here, but that doesn't mean he's going to tell his agent to not get him in the running for a job like spurs. I imagine agents are doing stuff like that all the time.

17. Twisty Champions Again !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Think Pep will only stay another season or two then they'll start sliding down the table. His contract is up at the end of next season I think.

seanm likes this.
  18. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    And yet he made them wait until he got a Treble over the line for us instead of snatching their hand off, going right away, giving himself more time to assess the squad and a running start going into the summer. And a chance to manage for a while and maybe convince him to stay and that he’s the real deal to bring success to Harry Kane. Might be an English * but he’s one of the best players in the world. As much as it hurts me to say it probably by far the best striker in the world despite Halaand’s numbers

JML67, Random Review and Hammy89 like this.
  19. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Records after their first 35 premier league games stat on sky sports;

Arteta 35 games: 50 points

Klopp 35 games: 58 points

Ange 35 games: 60 points

The job he’s done so far in his first season with an injury hit squad and below par players. Add to that losing Harry Kane; a 40 goal+ striker is nothing short of amazing. Take into consideration too like he said last week, a fragile club in and out. A set of fans who would rather lose out on CL than see Arsenal get an advantage in the title race.

Because he started so well and was top for so long he’s been the victim of his own success this season

20. murphy88

I don’t think Kane would have suited the way Ange plays anyway. Selling him was the right thing to do. The issue at Spurs though is the same issue we have. The money doesn’t get reinvested as it should.