1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. murphy88

Rodgers team in the CL this year was far weaker than Ange’s last season. I’ll refer back to it again, that team and bench we had away in Lazio was like a testimonial.

Morcombe and honda like this.
  2. honda Gold Member Gold Member

No chance was it easier. Ange got drawn against a team that had lost nearly every decent player due to the war ffs. The other team was in such turmoil they sacked the manager, albeit typically before they played us. Ange got rh easiest draw you could get with 1 glamour game that we got absoloutely horsed in. I get you like ange, but again I'd take Rodgers in Europe over ange. Prove me wrong? Afterall Rodgers won a game. Did ange?

Morcombe and AdamRS like this.
  3. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    His domestic achievements too. The one that still astonishes me most is that I've literally seen people claim that he merely got Rodgers' team over the line and then lost the league the next season (I'll post a quote below so you can judge whether my paraphrase is unfair). The next season we won a treble, won our EL group, and had the 3rd-highest points per game since MON left.

Morcombe and NakamuraTastic like this.
  4. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I think everything you wrote is true, but I still disagree with you. Let's park Real as we could have had Pep in charge for that and we'd still have got pumped. Instead, let's line the other games up as follows.

1) Atletico = Leipzig

We got absolutely dismantled home and away by Leipzig and got a draw against Atletico. Rodgers scores better there.

2) Lazio = Feyenoord = Shakhtar Donetsk.

These are all games we should be competing in and both Ange and Rodgers got 1 point per game. At best, you can say they are equal there; but I'd argue that Rodgers comes out on top even here for 4 reasons:

• Ange had better players.
    • Ange was in his second season and Rodgers was still in transition.
    • That Donetsk team were slightly worse than this season's Feyenoord and Lazio teams IMHO.
    • We were genuinely unlucky in 2 of Rodgers' games and that wasn't the case in any of Ange's (in fact, I'd argue that Ange was actually very lucky against Shakhtar at CP).

5. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

We're just ignoring shipping 6 goals to Atletico away then? :giggle1: that Lazio team was there for the taking home and away, not even sure how anyone thinks they were in anyway better than Leipzig who have far better players and scored good goals against us in both legs. I agree Ange had a stronger XI over the season but we also were missing CCV and McGregor in CL games that season too. He may have been in his second season but it was his first in the CL as was the case for the majority of the squad - that doesn't apply to Rodgers or those players who remained.

We were horsed in games this season too against Feyenoord and Atletico. I actually thought we played okay in games this season but my argument is that it wasn't an easier draw. Real and Leipzig are top sides at CL level whereas only Atleti really are in this seasons group. Lazio were dog * in both games.

You're the one turning it into an Ange v Rodgers thing, not me.

Last edited: May 10, 2024
  6. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Didn't Shakhtar miss an open goal at CP? We should have been getting 4 points from them and instead we were lucky to get 2.
    Leipzig were there for the taking too, yeah they came 3rd in the league but they weren't great and got less than 2 points per game.
    If we had Jota and Starfelt this season I think we come 3rd in this year no problem and possibly 2nd.

7. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    To be fair we had a man sent off early against Atletico and had a goal chopped off due to someones knee hair being offside against Lazio.

Imo we were too naive in Europe under Ange.

Random Review and honda like this.
  8. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Only a madman would argue that this season's Lazio team were better than last season's Leipzig team. I'm glad I never made such a claim.

Both managers had injuries; but to me it's clear that Ange had better players at his disposal overall.

Experience is a legitimate asset in a manager and a point in Rodgers' favour not something that has to taken out of the equation.

Finally, away in Madrid and with that scandalous red card to one of our most important players... better Celtic teams than this have been on the ends of scorelines like that in those situations.

It's like you didn't actually read what I wrote. Lazio were not great; but clearly better than last season's Shakhtar Donetsk.
    Which game were we horsed by Feyenoord? The one where we beat them or the one where we ended up with 9 men and still kept the score respectable?

I don't think it was an easier draw; I do think that Rodgers did a better job than Ange against peer teams or near peers.They are 2 separate arguments.

9. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Well again my original point wasn't a pro-Ange or anti-Rodgers one anyway, just on paper I think the teams we were drawn against were stronger last season to this.

The second part of the previously quoted post was in response to Honda.

10. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Yes, but I think we're in agreement there already. Ange had the harder group. That's not where we disagree. We don't even disagree on who is the better manager (it's Ange for me too). The only thing we disagree on is that if you compare games against similar levels of opposition, I think Rodgers did a better job (mainly because Ange massively underperformed against Shakhtar Donestk). I also think that, although I don't think Rodgers could have beaten RB Leipzig either, Ange's set up against them was naive.

Ah, no wonder I felt like you hadn't even read my post. :56:
    OK, that's my mistake. Sorry about that. :52:

JML67 likes this.
  11. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

All good mate, the debate around Ange v Rodgers has been done to death anyway and I wasn't trying to get into that again, just thought our draw this season was very favourable and we could and should have done better (as club, wholly).

Random Review likes this.
  12. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Agreed, mate.

13. Peter T. Lawwell Esq Chairman of Celtic FC PLC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Wonder how Ange feels about Spurs now. Clinging on to 5th place, players not interested in playing his style, his own fans celebrating a loss. Really is a miserable club where dreams go to die.

14. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

I think he'll be feeling alright about it tbh. It's been a decent first season.

Weird tonight though. Between a rock and a hard place.

15. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Looks incredibly unhappy there .. getting it from all angles from levy the players and the support

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  16. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Scratch that. He's raging at the mentality of the club.

17. Lewis Kerr

Ange has looked a bit rattled for a while and Spurs' form since that mad loss to Chelsea has gone to *.

But I can empathise with him tonight. Spurs' mentality is *, especially their fans. Just so incredibly small time. He must be feeling sick tonight. It goes against everything he stands for. You could feel it in the stadium, fans actively wanting their team to lose is wild, especially when they still had a shot of the CL.

I'm starting to think this job is too big for him. I love the man and would take him back in a heartbeat but this is his first experience of elite football bar his European campaigns with us. Ange isn't a miracle worker and definitely has his faults too. But he needs to rebuild the entire club and completely change their mentality. Tottenham are pretty much a nothing club in the grand scheme of things in terms of trophy's won and history, and with Levy in the background stifling them, a squad full of bottling prima donna's and an impatient, loser fanbase, I feel like he's on a bit of a hiding to nothing.

NakamuraTastic and FranceCelt like this.
  18. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

They only started singing when they were 2-0 down. Mental

19. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Oft all is not well there. His press conference.

Yikes

20. Lewis Kerr