1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Matt O'Riley

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Notorious, Jan 20, 2022.

Discuss Matt O'Riley in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Crilly Hakuhna matata

O’Riley, Bissouma,Maddison…… ooft

Bangarangura likes this.
  2. Foley1888

It sounds like this could be done pretty soon after the end of the season.

3. Guchi Gucci Gold Member Gold Member

Be surprised if it's more than 25 which is incredible business.

4. Morcombe

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo, Jota, Abada, Taylor, McGregor, the whole team!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing, This Land is Your land, Over & Over, Green, White & Gold, Hampden in the Sun, E
    33 goal contributions this season, that's almost 1/3rd of our entire goal tally this season.

They better spend well and properly replace him.

5. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Honestly we better not be taking anything less than 30/35 million with a 15/20% add ons.

He is classed as homegrown down south so they need to * pay a premium for him, simple as that.

No more * about with these * in the Premier League.

craigtheceltic, cidermaster and eire4 like this.
  6. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Brendan Rodgers has broken his silence on speculation over a Celtic transfer exit for Matt O'Riley this summer.

The Parkhead boss was quizzed on O'Riley's future at Celtic after reports this week claimed the 23-year-old had held talks with two Premier League clubs.

Defiant Rodgers insisted Celtic don't need to sell the standout midfielder as he brushed off a question on whether "serious consideration" would be required over transfer interest.

An Atletico Madrid approach in January for O'Riley was thrown out by the Celtic board, but it's expected interest in the Denmark international will continue into the summer.

Inter Milan have been credited with an interest alongside the claims of discussions with two top six Premier League clubs.

Rodgers, though, insists Celtic do not need to cash in on O'Riley as he insisted he won't lose sleep over the speculation

No, not at all," said Rodgers when asked whether there would have to be serious consideration over O'Riley over the summer transfer window. "We don't have to sell. We are not in a position to do that.

"But of course, if there is something that comes in then, like it happens at Celtic, it will always be looked at.

"There is not a need to sell.

"Matt has had an absolutely brilliant season for us and it is great testament to his professionalism and how he has developed as a football player.

"Then naturally, those players will attract attention. If you have done well, and done well at a club of this status and pressure then naturally the attention will come.

"But it is not something I lose sleep about

7. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I think we get 30 million easily for him.

8. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    If he does leave this summer I will be disappointed if its not a new club record selling fee which I think currently is 25m.

9. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Think it's a certainty mate.

eire4 likes this.
  10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Probably be with some add ons but deffo will be a record I'd imagine..

Rydo1888* likes this.
  11. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    He's the kind of level headed guy you might expect to think would stay that extra season for developmental reasons, but you just know the board will be throwing him into a taxi like a drunk punter when the EPL megabucks come crawling

12. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He’ll bide his time until after the Euros which he’ll be hoping to make a mark in.

Then we’ll make around the 25 million mark for him IMO maybe more if it becomes a bidding war. He’s a superb footballer with excellent stature and whose curve is sharply up the way who’s tied down to Celtic. We have all the aces.

13. Paradise_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    I personally don’t think he joins spurs after the way he spoke about Ange etc. clearly prefers Rodgers man management and you can see that in his performances

14. Lewis Kerr

£25m for him is too low. We got that for Tierney 5 years ago and I think MOR has a higher ceiling, plus he was our best player in the CL this year. He's absolutely carried us this season.

When you add in current inflation, his homegrown value and his international career taking off we have to aim for £30m minimum.

These prices are pennies for EPL teams.

15. DonnyCelt

Spurs apparently in for him. Can't see it.

16. BigDoggyWoofWoof

If we break £20m I'll be amazed. It's not that I don't believe he's worth that, it's just it is not the norm in our market for players to command big fees. Clubs come to us to a certain extent for a bargain. Is what it is.

17. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Your probably right. But I am still holding out hope that with the expanded champions league as a lure and hopefully proper backing for Rodgers in the summer window that maybe O'Riley stays for one more season.

cidermaster likes this.
  18. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Gutted that it seems inevitable that we're gonna lose him but understand it also, he has the talent and attitude to get right to the very top and I wish him all the best if he does move. For the vast majority of his time here he's been an automatic pick each week and rarely failed to deliver, fantastic consistency for a young player and looks like we'll make a very hefty fee from him.

All the best Matt, now lets finish the season with a real bang. :50:

19. celtic20

Aw I've well settled with the fact he's off in the summer.

Just wanted him to keep committed to the cause and help us secure the title and UCL millions next season. He's done just that and done it with passion too. He doesn't sulk, always celebrates goals passionately and not just the ones he scores. Can tell playing for Celtic means a lot to him.

Not to mention he signed a new long-term deal whilst he was being linked with other clubs to help us reap maximum value for him when we do sell.

Huge love and respect for O'Riley for his behaviour and performances this season.

BhoyFitz likes this.
  20. Damnati

Disagree, I wouldn't say anybody has had a bargain from us in a long while. I think our prized assets have generally been increasing in value for each big sale.

Suppose "bargain" is relative.