1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Matt O'Riley

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Notorious, Jan 20, 2022.

Discuss Matt O'Riley in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. murphy88

We’ve got fans who will have you believe that.

Officer Doofy and Dublin Celt like this.
  2. john2061

Is that you Peter

Dublin Celt likes this.
  3. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    2 top 6 prem clubs in talks with us about him apparently.

https://www.tipsbladet.dk/nyhed/generelle/hyldet-matt-oriley-i-dialog-med-engelske-tophold

(Translated from Danish)

Matt O'Riley has had a phenomenal season at Celtic and he was praised for that too on Sunday night.

Here, Celtic held a ceremony to, among other things, choose the club's player of the year, and in that connection Matt O'Riley did as good as a clean slate.

The Danish star took a total of three awards - namely Young Player of the Year, Players' Player of the Year and Player of the Year. It appears from Celtic's website the following day - and here it also appears that the national team's assistant coach Morten Wieghorst was present.

The fantastic season can also very well throw off an impressive summer change.

According to Tipsbladet's information, Matt O'Riley's home team is currently in dialogue with two unnamed top six teams from England's top tier, the Premier League, about a possible transfer ahead of this summer's European Championship finals.

In the past, 23-year-old Matt O'Riley has also been a hot topic in Atletico Madrid, who - as Tipsbladet could reveal - had a bid rejected in January.

Inter have also been mentioned as a club with a good eye for the Dane.

Matt O'Riley has scored 16 goals and assisted 17 times in 46 games this season. Impressive numbers for a midfielder to say the least.

4. Crilly Hakuhna matata

Aston Villa and either spurs or newcastle. Good move for him and good fee for us. Top 6 prem club would have no problem spending 25+ million

Last edited: May 14, 2024
    craigtheceltic and HoopyT like this.
  5. PaddyJamieson

Villa, Newcastle or Spurs would be great options for him. He'll go with my blessing - been a sensational player and never kicked up fuss. Hope we get £25m+.

neilly1987 and Crilly like this.
  6. calmac23

If he were playing in England the fee would be £40m+. We should be asking for £30m at the minimum.

Young, homegrown, intelligent, and well-rounded player who can fit straight into most teams in the world. There’ll be lots of interest.

TESLA and neilly1987 like this.
  7. Bangarangura

No reason why he shouldn't be 30 plus. Wharton at Palace being priced at 60 and he's only been there since January....

8. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

He's such a classy player. We should get quite a wedge for him but probably won't be as much as it should be or used to adequately bolster the squad but don't want to sound like too much of a downer. Anyway, been great for us.

9. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Nae wonder, by the way. That Wharton is unreal.

I'd be asking for a minimum of £25m with a large sell on, though.

10. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Id want to keep him for one more year to be honest.

A fully fit trio of Hatate, O'Rielly and McGregor will be brilliant for next season and a European push. Specially if we get a true equal for CCV to partner. Think the squad would be in a good place to get some results.

Losing MoR though, that'll be a big blow to the middle.

All said though, if Spurs, Atlético, Inter are the calibre that come in for him, it's a hard one to reject, specially if the bids are our highest yet.

Villa he would do well I think, but you run the risk they'll be further down the table next season and he gets brushed with a poor brush. Similar to Newcastle, too much to a transition going on there climbing up the levels. It could be hit and miss.

Those other three though, he walks in to their side and looks good and stays at a high level I think. Villa or Newcastle, a poor season (not on him) could see him fall down the structure. He seems sensible and ambitious to surely want to see a better pathway to the top.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

11. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

He'll definitely be punted, let's be honest..

He's the type of asset that we've done well to harness. Shows other players we are an excellent pathway too.

Would I love to keep him, aye but this is where we're at, the realist in me says we cash in now

TESLA, snails67, Jeannie960 and 3 others like this.
  12. elbhoydo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Aye, this summer is the time to sell him after those numbers this season. Plus he'll be in the Danish squad at the euros so if he plays then defo over 20m easy I would say.
    Just pray we get a similar payer in to replace him..not price wise tho!.

13. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Wouldn't surprise me if villa or spurs were looking

14. celtic warrior

It is a lazy link but one I think still thinks way too much sense not to at least look at is that he goes to Spurs.

If they can find the right defensive minded midfielder and then sign O'Riley then thay midfield of O'Riley Maddison and a defensive type would be far better than what they have now

15. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    The thing that's mental about Spurs is they have so many players there who are * rank but could still get a really decent wedge of cash from selling them on. They could easily get £15m for Lo Celso, £10m for Skipp and £10m for Hojberg. These guys are clearly not going to fit into Ange style of play but that's £35m on players who aren't good enough for them. Then bringing in someone like O'Riley, for say £25m. It's a no * brainer, in my opinion.

I still think O'Riley will go abroad. He just seems like the sort of player who would flourish abroad and really adapt well. Italy and Spain, I can just see him completely excelling over there.

greengrocer likes this.
  16. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Would probably prefer if he went to Europe- Spain, italy or Germany tbh rather than that circus down the road. Hefty sell on a la frimpong and we should see even more money down the line.

17. Foley1888

I think you can say similar for Villa. They are going to be in Champions league next season. Have a shortage of top centre midfielders and home grown players, O’Riley is both.

craigtheceltic likes this.
  18. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I wasn't sure how home grown worked with O'Riley, given he's Danish. I obviously knew that he had been in Fulhams academy and that but wasn't sure how it worked. If he does count for their HG quota, that's another £5m onto him price tag, in my opinion.

19. Foley1888

Nationality doesn’t come in to it with HG for UEFA competition, also I know he has decided to represent Denmark but he is English, he was born in London and lived there for most of his life.

He was in Fulham’s set up between 2016 to 2020 so will have done the 3 years required and also done a year at MK Dons too.

So he ironically would count as a home grown player for an English team but not a Danish one.

20. MynameisEarl

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    No less than 30 million, Infact given Fabio Silva was 35 I would say we should be asking for more.

Hammy89 and johnboy19 like this.