1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

What’s our scouting and recruitment plan?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Liam Scales, Feb 20, 2024.

Discuss What’s our scouting and recruitment plan? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    So a guy, who's worked with us since circa 2019 according to some sites. Is being paid circa 150k a year, happens to be Scottish and already worked for us, is now being announced as a new scout.

So just more of the same in-house appointments then Celtic.

* all is changing this year again

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

oh bhoy likes this.
  2. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    It appears that despite him working for us and recommending a good few players we have never taken him up on any. The only 1 we actually signed from that part of the world was a dud that he was very much against.

So hopefully the difference is Rodgers values his opinion more than others and we may start taking up some of his recommendations

martin_d and Peej like this.
  3. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Fingers crossed.

But I just find it very questionable that yet again it's an appointment dressed up to impress, when reality is, he's already worked for us.

Not sure what changes from his or our side.
    Does he now become more forceful in his recommendations? Putting more work in to his suggestions to be taken serious?
    Or do we (the guys above him) suddenly take him more seriously now?

There must be a reason we've never taken any of his suggestions before, why would it be any different now?

Edit to add. Obviously the reason we haven't taken him up before is down to financial reasons more than anything. So again, what's gonna change there.

Ryanm1984 likes this.
  4. Foley1888

That was the two I remember him mentioning Valverde and Santos.

If we are going there we need to realise it won’t be £1-3m it’s going to be a bit more than that in Brazil and Argentina but what you can get back is also significantly higher if done right.

I can remember listening to a podcast that I think it was Cooper done, talking about talent in Chile, Ecuador, Uruguay, Paraguay etc so knows those markets that are probably not as well scouted as well.

Peej likes this.
  5. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    A monkey with a list of FIFA players taped to his forehead with a * typewriter could do a better job.

That's not a shot at you mate, that's just how bad it is.

It would appear Celtic Football Club is mired in a "do we know the *?" mentality, obviously directed by Desmond. Once again... Penny pinching. Refusing to risk a wage over severance.

Imagine you applied for a job and the employer told you "I don't know any of your references".

Did you call them?

"I don't know them."

But... They're professional references... That's why I listed them. They can attest to the content on my CV.

"But, aye like, don't wanna gie ya tha job unless I've a mate says yer ok like"

That's the ENTIRE * club ethos right now.

"Don't know them, don't wanna know them".

A * closed shop, packed with leeches, dinosaurs and idiots.

martin_d, Hammy89 and Peej like this.
  6. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    From googling him earlier there was a story on kds where he was apparently told by a high up member of staff he didn't like signing players from Brazil due to Rafael *.
    Now normally that would seem completely ridiculous and unprofessional but then you think about the * on our board, and one particular * in particular and it's probably plausible.

I dunno what will change other than hope that if he's a Rodgers appointment then perhaps him and Rodgers will be working more closely than he has with previous managers. Most of his previous recommendations probably never made it as far as the manager given those comments about Brazilians

Peej and Lewis Kerr like this.
  7. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Bit of a weird one for him to come back after publicly slating our recruitment.

But also, could be a good move as he knows how * it's been and by all accounts claims to have recommended some good players previously.

Need more than just him though. Need a proper restructure and someone who has experience to lead. Can't see it happening though.

Sgt Neppers*, Peej and Lewis Kerr like this.
  8. Bangarangura

I like Mark Cooper very much, glad he's getting more involvement..... hopefully

9. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    He may turn out half decent at his job. It's just a scouting position as far as I'm aware, so not the worst position to give someone who has some knowledge of a market we would like to tap in to.

Pointless though, as you say, if we aren't gonna tap the market he knows best.

The concerns aren't necessarily over him, personally, more the same closed shop, job for a pal situation we always do.

Why is it so * hard to just go hire someone who's a fairly experienced professional in his field that isn't tied to the club in some way already?

Ryanm1984 likes this.
  10. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

A DoF is required whether, Brendan wants one or not, Ange should have been made to work under one too.. as guess what when they * off like Ange did, there's zero continuity and we're back to square one..

The trouble is we'd probably go for someone like Gordon Strachan 'who knows the city' rather than someone with a successful CV in that role..

So, depressing..

Lupis and Peej like this.
  11. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Struggling to see that in all honesty mate.

In all walks of life there are plenty of ppl who will walk into a position at an organisation that they publicly admonished for financial and professional gain.

And AGAIN, everything, and I mean EVERYTHING will go through Desmond and his proxy's.

For example; I work in a school which treats it's expat teachers with the most utter indifference I've ever known. To the point of mass walkouts.
    At the beginning of the year they hired a new dude... He was SOOOO over qualified. BA education, CELTA, DELTA, Masters etc... he lasted 2 months.

Not because of the wage. They paid him his worth. But Because he was wasting his time. He couldn't the job he worked so hard to be able to do. He was reduced to a language centre teacher who was being lecturered on his lesson plans by an unqualified idiot who had never spent a minute in a classroom... But wanted him to be "team player". Ie. Eat this * and smile.

We could hire some super duper uber scout or recruitment head who foresaw Messi being spunked out of the tip... Doesn't matter a jot of we can't sign him for under 3m, at a 7k a week wage and he hasn't been cosigned by Dudu * Danan.

Change happens from the top down.

Not from the outskirts of the middle.

Peej likes this.
  12. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Mate, this is a board who put a bunch of applications for the most important job at the club in a drawer and gave it to a guy who knew the city.

They want to do the bare minimum while picking up maximum bonuses.

I suspect it's bcoz they are so out of touch with modern football and they wouldnt have the 1st clue how to go about properly recruiting the right people

martin_d, LectersLuncheon and Peej like this.
  13. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Fully agree. I'm trying to be less harsh on the board at present, not because they deserve any sort of relief of it, but because I don't want to be doom and gloom too much with these last few games of the season.

But you're 100% right.

They do the bare minimum in almost every aspect of the club.
    They release sound bites and make lipserviced decisions to keep the fans at bay. See Pl and ML sackings.

This scouting appointment, so far isn't announced as the head guy, isn't a big manor issues but it does further highlight the same choices this board continue to make.

Lazy, cheap(ISH), internal appointments with no real growth. No ambition.

They've realised they can market this guy as someone who knows an exciting market, it's also lazy.
    The concern is two fold here, that it's lazy and job for the bhoys and that we also wouldn't sign the players he suggests anyway.

Usual list of perhaps 5 players and we will no doubt ask for a shittier option and sign that. Rather than the first choice option.

Leone Naka Fan and Ryanm1984 like this.
  14. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Aye take your point but that feeds into what I said at the end of that post as well, in that we need a full restructure.

Under no illusions that one South American talent scout is going to solve our problems, but if we can appoint others similar to him focusing on other parts of the globe with an overall recruitment/DoF lead that's the only way we can hope to change things.

If ir doesn't happen from the top down then Rodgers will go and any other modern manager won't want to come in. So they really need to alter it now.

Time will tell as ever.

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  15. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    The problem is our scouting and recruitment plan has bee * for so long that the majority of us are cynical,we seem to get it right quite often but we totally screw it up just as frequently, how many 3 million projects have failed and the * mindness of managers with the attitude that I didn’t sign him so he is not getting a chance.
    We need a competent team that can recommend players for this club so we can nurture them and move them for a very healthy margin.

16. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Hear me out, under better circumstances and owners of the club, a different board, would we take Rodgers in 2 years time as a DoF?

Personally I would.

I get the feeling he may have had enough of management to a degree by that point, sees Celtic as a project he wants to be proud of.

Id imagine he would entertain the idea at least.

But absolutely not under the current board setup and issues we have.

As someone else says change happens from top down.

17. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Is he astute enough in the transfer market to structure our scouting and recruitment, I'd say no.. if we went down that road we should be looking at someone who's been successful and has experience in that role..

Who works effectively and efficiently in the background, again that's not Rodgers.

Peej likes this.
  18. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Nope because he's honking in the transfer market. And he's been at every club he's been at btw so its not just a celtic board thing

Tim-Time 1888 and Peej like this.
  19. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Quote from Cooper a few years back about how to improve.

“The only way clubs like Ajax, Celtic, Anderlecht can do it, is by having about 100% transfer profit and year on year, almost like compound interest, when you’re reinvesting in ever-increasing circles and selling again at a higher level, reinvesting at a higher level, selling at a higher level.”

Someone needs to explain to this poor guy how the fat account's bonus works.

Leone Naka Fan and Peej like this.
  20. Sgt Neppers*

The plan...hire 1 guy, hope he has decent contacts and then pray it works.

Rydo1888* and Peej like this.