1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Cringer67

I loved this from him. Its exactly the fighting talk that is needed at this stage. Say what you will about him, but theres no denying he's backing himself and the team to get this over the line.

honda likes this.
  2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Aye there's been no panic it's like he could see this coming..

The players don't look nervy either to me....even when it was goalless half time..

He's changed his tone big time lately..

3. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    If we win this league he would have changed a good number of fans mind about him having that dog in him when the * hits the fan, I’m including myself in that cause I would have been happy to see him go a few months ago when we looked terrible and looked hopeless.

We win this league he needs backed, I can’t see the fans standing for it come the summer if he’s not properly backed.

4. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Agree with you, if he wins the league with the group he inherited he should be given the wiggle room to put his own stamp on the team with quality this summer. No doubt about it..

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

neilly1987, bhoy81 and bhroom like this.
  5. Guchi Gucci Gold Member Gold Member

Got to believe bagging Mark Lawwell means some acknowledgment things arent right. If he stays, I do expect a change in strategy. Fans absolutely see through it now.

neilly1987 and bhoy81 like this.
  6. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    It's the hope that dies last.

Mark lawwell was shown the door for the same reason his dad was originally as well.

To keep the heat off the club.

It's not because the club actually are changing how things are done or that they've seen issues. It's literally to keep the heat off them.

On the back of the last two windows, the recruitment team was the main focus of attention. It's an easy sacking - in fact gardening leave, so still paid without doing the work. With no one really hard done by.

What's worrying is that we've actually not replaced the two that have been shown the door, yet we are continuing to do some recruitment tasks it seems. Who's doing that work?

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

murphy88, Artorias and bhoy81 like this.
  7. PaddyJamieson

He's done very well recently, not just in terms of team performance but his whole demeanour and creating a collective, getting fans onside.

8. elbhoydo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Still needing a big improvement on style of play if he's here next season. For me it'll be more the huns bottling it than us moving up the gears winning this title.
    Still not settled on him as manager as majority if season has still been meh..

neilly1987, Doogs., NomDePlum and 2 others like this.
  9. Guchi Gucci Gold Member Gold Member

Look like a different side now our best players are back - what a surprise!

10. Sween

I can't see Rodgers himself sticking around for another season if he isn't backed. He deserves credit if we do win the league this year but I doubt he will want to stay for another season to try and grind another league title without support from the board. Especially given we will be losing Hart and most likely OReilly.

neilly1987 and Guchi Gucci like this.
  11. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Yeah I see him going as well just like the first time.

he hasn’t been backed at all, this coming summer he needs to be given money to spend on real quality the two main areas we need to bring in ASAP are GK and LB.

we can then tweek the other areas like the wings.

12. saltire78

Look, I'm far from thrilled, but as I previously had said... He's surprisingly enough got 80% of available points, alongside some shoddy recruitment, bad injuries and mental international duties playing against him. Difficult watching, but still actually good on paper. I can't imagine any situation he's NOT here next year, unless he walks/gets poached. The club won't blow the money to pay him off.

And a lot of our dropped points were * draws or dropped unfairly due to refs, as usual. And don't even start me on professional players not being able to score a penalty...

Artorias likes this.
  13. Sween

Without sounding like we are getting ahead of ourselves, if we assume for a moment that we win the league this season by a few points and we don't massively spend in the summer I think Rodgers would be right to go. Even after likely settlement costs for the court stuff we are sitting with over 50m in the bank and through winning the league Rodgers and the team has banked another 50m minimum. On top of that we are likely going to lose OReilly for a big sum and it's not unthinkable that CCV or Hatate have their heads turned.

If ever there was a season to commit to a real strengthening across the first 11 and the whole structure of the club it is this season. If we win the league and still don't do this I think Rodgers would be well within his right to move to a club with a bit of ambition. Trying to stay a tiny bit better than rangers as cheaply as possible is hardly a reason to stay at Celtic.

14. cfcturbo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thomas burns
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Skibereen by wolfe tones
    Bringing in idah was an absolute masterstroke

TESLA, Rydo1888* and neilly1987 like this.
  15. Pacific Ocean Blue

He earns his money in the must win games, 2 wins and a draw against Rangers as well this season

neilly1987 likes this.
  16. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I'm not convinced either but if we win the title he will be here next year. Probably will be regardless tbh.

A better transfer window hopefully makes a difference. I still think that we don't have some of the type of players he'd look for. Particularly in full back and wide areas.

I still feel that we did improve in Europe under him this season compared to previous. Even if it didn't result in anything substantial I noticed a difference in our style of play and we looked generally less vulnerable. Barring the Atletico game away.

If he can find a way to consistently break down the stuffy sides we face then it'll be fine. As I actually have faith in him in the 'bigger games' more so.

I would also say that I don't know how the other targets we were linked with last summer would have faired with a similar couple of transfer windows and not having had the experience of managing us before. It could potentially have been a lot worse.

Hindsight ofcourse but who's to say whether a rookie would have had us even 4 points clear at this point, largely due to 3 games undefeated against the Huns.

PaddyJamieson and neilly1987 like this.
  17. JamesM09

I feel like we’ve seen this before.

Just before he * off to Leicester last time, I’m sure we lost to the Huns to go behind just before the break.

He clearly wasn’t trying.

He came back and we didn’t even concede a goal for like 7 games or something before Motherwell scored a goal by not giving us the ball back when we put it out.

When he puts the work in he can get results and performances but I feel he often can’t be bothered until things get tight.

18. Mr Hoopy

If Brendan delivers us the league this season then he has in my opinion earned the right to take us into a new campaign to build his own team :ynwacelti

Artorias likes this.
  19. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

The way we were cheating at Tynecastle and his response seems to have galvanised everyone..

Artorias, TESLA and PaddyJamieson like this.
  20. PaddyJamieson

This, and evidence he can be smart and effective in the transfer market. If he manages that I'll get fully onside.