1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Ange done it with Kyogo and the difference is it worked, he scored two, we won silverware, then he was out for longer due to it and GG stepped up very nicely.

Everychance, he doesn’t score due to not being fit, and GG doesn’t step up and then Ange would have been getting slaughtered for it… because he was injured in the first place due to being brought on against Betis in a dead rubber, that Ajeti started because we didn’t want to risk Kyogo. Ajeti got injured, Kyogo came on and so did he. If not for Turnbull and Rogic stepping up in that December and grinding out results for us, then GG coming back from injury doing the business when he largely hadn’t done so before hand. He’d have been getting ripped to shreds, a lot of those edgy things fell in place for Ange. It’s good management when it works, bad when it doesn’t.

I was harsh on Rodgers on Sunday because I was raging, couple days reflection on it, we’d have all done the same as BR I think, match sharp or not, Calmac has shown anytime he’s needed to go straight into the thick of it he’s usually done it to a high level. Didn’t happen this time.

Random Review and Pogues like this.
  2. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I said the same about if we'd have won it would have been different.

True 1 - 2 years ago. Not as true now. And it'll be less true the next time too likely. If we are counting on it happening next time that'll just be stupid. People talking about who's replacing O'Riley but we need a similar view on McGregor too longer term.

3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    This is the first time since the last time, when he appeared Super Mac with the mask on, and dominated like *, that its happened. It was a step too far and too early for him. He was already ahead of schedule to even make the bench, hindsight it was a bad decision, but it’s one I agreed with at the time and a guy I would also trust to come on and do it for a half hour with minimal time on the training pitch. Think even seeing that in training, he’s proven before that when it comes down to it he’s usually one that will rise to it.

Gamble didn’t work, and it’s not down to Rodgers the mistake he made, he wasn’t fit but you’d also expect unfit rusty Calmac not to try that pass, when he had easier options on as well (Bernardo I think it was, was in space for him an easy option). He’s experienced enough and usually trustworthy enough that even when he’s gubbed, he’ll take the option that he knows will work rather than risk it, especially when the games in a pivotal time at 2-1, us reeling from the penalty decision.

I was angry directly after the game on Sunday because the way it went, but it’s a gamble that just didn’t go our way when we thought odds on it wasn’t much of one. It happens

4. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Been too many players playing when unfit this season.

Carter Vickers probably half the games he's played he's not been fit, Hatate also was sluggish when playing early in the season, even now unfit but not as bad looking as a few months ago when he first had a few games. Johnston also when he started playing this season took about 10-15 games for him to look fit, sharp and energetic, Kuhn's early few games in hindsight from what we seen since he shouldn't have been on the park.

That big Phillips diddy as well, although partly just a big stiff clown of a player he'd barely played in years before he joined and looked off the pace.

5. murphy88

I think we have been forced to play guys that haven’t been totally fit because the squad for a lot of the season has been shocking.

6. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

His overall record against the manks is absolutely exceptional. Game at a time but it’s hard not to focus on that home game against them.

Let’s beat St Mirren and just tick off the wins. It really is as simple as 4 home games and 2 away, win the 6 and we win the league. That is easily, easily, doable.

7. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Aye, it's not been great at all. Not helped by having one LB all season. Makes me super nervous that one.

8. murphy88

I couldn’t believe we didn’t bring in a left back in the summer. To then ignore it in January as well was unforgivable.

9. henriks tongue

Rodgers still has it all to prove in my mind
    It's been a very poor season in terms of performances and majority of results, when the only serious rival is a mediocre rangers team, and we lose twice to teams like Hearts and Killie and are (likely) 2 points behind despite taking 7 from 9 in old firm games and added bonus for us of them having Beale as coach early on.

It's an absolutely huge 6 games incoming for him.
    If we do it it will be so sweet, but make no mistake there is a huge amount of work to be done when the dust settles on this season.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2024
  10. murphy88

Our squad has been mediocre for much of the season as well though. The last few weeks have been about as strong as we’ve had available all season. People were vastly exaggerating the strength of our team earlier in the season.

Crilly likes this.
  11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I’m stuck between the two extremes with this, we have had horrendous luck with injuries, we all have been guilty comparing last year to this one… but one thing that was agreed on last year pretty much from 100% of our fans, last year when we had CCV or Hatate out we struggled without that as well.

We’ve had all season pretty much without them, the times we’ve had has been all to brief and not enough for them to build up match form. We’ve had guys come in at times and look like that’d be an answer, Iwata earlier this season, then he was out. We had 5 CB’s injured at one point, two fit wingers at one point, had the Asian Cup to deal with that took out more players from the squad, anytime we’ve built up a head of steam those that made a difference have picked up knocks and they were already replacing the main choice usually.

Then other times we’ve clicked, and then went into International break or the winter break and it’s interrupted the flow. * I was thinking that with the last break just there but it was the only one that actually done us a favour and we got guys back in who were injured, guys returning clearly gave us a shot in the arm and kept up the form that was building. It’s been unlucky as *.

But with that, there’s also the fact a lot of the times we’ve been so far below what we expect I think we still had a good enough team that we should be able to grind it out.

There’s been two things that have happened to get us to a stage I’m enjoying looking forward to watching the next game instead of forcing myself to and being nervous, Rodgers changed the style to something that’s a lot more suited for our players, gave the player a bit more freedom on the pitch, a bit more directness, and we have had players coming back that have made a difference and gave a lift. Infact, the third one is Idah and Kuhn have also done that, made a difference, and that shows you how important the windows are because we had such an underwhelming one and the two guys who came in are a major difference between still being going to the wire with they * and not. BR’s got more to come, win or lose this league, and I’ll probably let out a string of raging anger at Br at the latter, we need to back him with everything we can in the summer and give him the tools to be the best he can be.

Because we haven’t done that, and he’s been a frustrated figure when that’s coupled with the horrendous injury issues we’ve had.

12. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

13. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

He is exuding confidence at the moment..

Looks ready for the run in.

14. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    for me Rodgers should never have brought CalMac on, Rodgers points out why himself below, Rodgers talking about CalMac,

“But seeing him in training earlier, he looked really good. But it's also recognising that he had been out quite a long time and, no matter who you are, if you've missed five-odd weeks of training, you are not obviously going to be at your best level of football fitness-wise."

so why bring CalMac on at the bigotdome?

The big Viduka likes this.
  15. Martybhoy53

Agree. Poor management. Should never have played. Clearly not fit for such an important game.

The big Viduka likes this.
  16. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Brendan Rodgers has revealed he’s playing a major role in reshaping Celtic behind the scenes with a revamp to the recruitment set up underway.

Parkhead chiefs are looking to replace out going talent spotters Mark Lawwell and Joe Dudgeon and the manager will have a say on the new appointments ahead of a massive summer for the Scottish Premiership leaders. Recruitment has been a major question mark among supporters since Rodgers returned to the Celtic Park hot seat - and the boss has now lifted the lid on the plans for the next window

Rodgers said: “Yes, absolutely. I am part of that process of course. Listen you are always thinking short, medium and longer term, especially if you want to be here for that longer-term. I would love that opportunity to help shape that because I have a lot of experience in the game. The game is moving and changing all the time and I want to offer opportunities here for more of our younger players.

In order to do that you need to plan that. You need to have everything in place below that will give those guys the opportunity. We need to take greater focus on our own players. We will have someone in a role that will come in and work specifically on that, with those young players and others out on loan – helping that pathway to the first team. So, yeah, I am part of that

Rodgers fears running man Daizen Maeda could miss a chunk of Celtic’s Premiership title run in. The Hoops attacker – who was a star man in last weekend’s 3-3 draw at Ibrox – is facing a hamstring fitness strain.

And Rodgers admitted he cannot give any guarantees over how much a part the Japan ace can play in the reminding games of the season. Celtic will also be without Liam Scales for today’s league clash with St Mirren at Parkhead while captain Callum McGregor could be wrapped in cotton wool ahead of next week’s Scottish Cup semi showdown with Aberdeen.

Maeda is out of today’s encounter and could be sent for scans next week to discover when he can get back for the final push for silverware. Rodgers said: “Daizen will miss the weekend. We’ll just need to see. He picked up an injury high up on his hamstring, his tendon

We’ll have to see what that looks like over the coming weeks. He’s certainly not available for the weekend. It’s something the medical team will look at. We’ll see where it goes over the next week or so. We’ll understand then what inclusion he’ll have between now and the end of the season.”

Rodgers has suffered several injuries to key men this season with the likes of Cameron Carter-Vickers, Reo Hatate and McGregor spending spells on the sidelines. But the Hoops boss is refusing to see it as a huge setback as he said: “Not really. He’s done great. He’s been fantastic for us and he did very well last weekend

But if it is to be and he is out then there will be an opportunity for someone else to come into the game. What he brings in terms of intensity and pressing is big for us. But it’s an opportunity for others to step up, bring there intensity and individual brilliance to the game

It’s not something you can dwell on too much. We’ve had a lot this year with key players being out. But you have to continue. I am just liking what I am seeing with the team at the moment with the focus, the energy, the quality we’ve shown. We’re looking to do that, starting against St Mirren

Rodgers admitted he needs to tread carefully with McGregor after he came off the bench at Ibrox following five weeks out. He said: “He’s come through well, we’re still clearly managing him.

“He did absolutely incredible to be available for the game. The timeline was beyond Rangers. But he worked so hard to put himself out there. He only trained a few days leading up to the game.

This week has been another good week for him. He’s not out the woods at all and we just have to manage where he’s at.”

17. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers reckons his team are "coming alive" at the right time after claiming a 3-0 win against St Mirren that moved them four points clear at the top of the Premiership table.

The hosts were frustrated by some sturdy defending from St Mirren in the first half, but came flying out the traps after the interval to net three goals without reply to pile pressure on rivals Rangers, who face Ross County in Dingwall in the early kick-off on Sunday. The Irishman believes his Celtic side are in a good place going into the final five post-split fixtures but admits that there is still a long way to go

Speaking to BBC Sportsound, he said: "We showed immense courage at Ibrox last week and did that again today. I think this is where Celtic come alive as a club. We have five leagues game to go and obviously a trip to Hampden next weekend. This is the part of the season we are excited about.

There is still a long, long way to go. We will have to see what the fixtures bring. But I am pleased that we have found this level at this time of the season.

It was a tale of two halves at Parkhead, with the Hoops responding from a below par first half to run out comfortable winners. Reo Hatate opened the scoring with a superb touch and finish from just inside the area before Kyogo doubled their advantage with a close range header from Alistair Johnston's fine delivery.

The points were then wrapped up four minutes from time when Adam Idah pounced on a rebound to claim his seventh goal in green and white since his January loan switch from Norwich. Ex-Liverpool and Leicester gaffer Rodgers admits he didn't have to come up with a rousing half-time speech to kick his side into gear and praised the impact of the players who came off the bench in inspiring Celtic to a big three points in the title race

He added: "Nothing overboard. I thought we were a little bit passive with our pressing in the first half. We arrived into the final third on numerous occasions but didn't keep it well enough to sustain the attack.

Getting that first goal was critical. The players were outstanding after that. You saw that injection of speed and tempo.

I was really pleased with the subs, who kept that energy and momentum in the game. Cal (McGregor) came in and looked like he had never been away and Welshy (Stephen Welsh) and Luis (Palma) did really well too. We played against a really good team who have had a fantastic season but once we got that first goal, we were really, really good."

Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
  18. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

We need to put in full 90min performances..

Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
    neilly1987, NomDePlum and singer61 like this.
  19. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

20. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Needed that all season. It's a huge issue.

neilly1987 and JC Anton like this.