1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    An unfit McGregor coming on as a sub doesn't count, mate; but we are getting close. I agree that it's a squad game; but to literally never have the strongest team available all season, I don't remember seeing that before (probably the John Barnes season comes closest with Larsson's injury. The defence is an extreme example. Yes, CCV is the best defender in the league; but at times this season, we've been forced to play back 4s that wouldn't look out of place at a mid-table SPL club.

I don't think this has been normal.

2. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Agree on McGregor and it being particularly bad. My point was more it's not something you can expect to happen.

Random Review likes this.
  3. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    One was a penalty that should t have been given

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. murphy88

Bingo. We have a section of fans however that simply cannot get over the way he left. So any negative spin they can put on things, they will. It’s been apparent since the opening few weeks of the season.

McKagan, Big C, Bayern Bru and 8 others like this.
  5. limezer

Weird booking, Beaton pointing all over the park and I think that was his first foul and a soft one at that.

Lecs likes this.
  6. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    Maybe I don't understand the rules but I don't see how it was a penalty either. He plays the ball.

7. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    Another example of underhand cheating.

He wanted us down to 10 men no doubt.

Peter T. Lawwell Esq and limezer like this.
  8. 7-1

Exactly that.

I have to say the man’s a genius when it comes to these games. Huge point today for us granted could have won but let’s not pretend they had chances too to win.

murphy88 likes this.
  9. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

10. cammy07

In fairness it’s easy saying we should’ve went for the jugular but in reality it was never going to happen. There’s not enough of a gap between us and them for us to just absolutely rattle them for 4 or 5 at ibrox anymore and as good as we played first half, they were absolutely abysmal and were always going to make changes.

Also have to factor in the cheating from the officials. If we managed to ride the storm that was always going to come first 15 minutes of that second half we’d have won that game no question, but as has been the case all season when they’re in desperate need they’re gifted penalties and decisions go in their favour.

On his subs, I think the majority would’ve wanted Yang on so harsh to blame him too much for that, he couldn’t have possibly known he’d have been as bad as that. McGregor was nowhere near fit, so should’ve been nowhere near the bench to even be an option but as he was I can see why he brought him on.

bhroom likes this.
  11. Big C

Having listened to quite a few of Brendan’s post match interviews I am super confident we will win the league. He is so up beat and confident. It’s not a show, he really is convinced we will win it. Get behind him and the team, * the board.

charlietully likes this.
  12. Turnbulls right peg

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and over
    Brendan showed up Clement first half the way we set up he had no answers.

Dissapointed as much as the next how he left but players do it all the time and are still loved by many amd welcomed back with open arms, Jota being the latest example.

He's a top level manager who i think were lucky to have and he wanted to test himself in a better league and although Leicester were not a massive club he probably was sold a dream about winning titles Europe etc.

To be fair to him he did have a good go and was successful with Leicster until the downsizing commenced.

Keep the faith!

13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Calmac was nowhere near fit or ready to be anywhere near a pitch, I was screaming for him to come on when he did, on reflection should have realised if he was anywhere near fit it wouldn’t be the bench he’s on he’d start.

BR * that.

14. Paradise_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    BR didn’t make him play loose passes or anything like that. He takes advice from the medical team if he was passed as ok to play it’s a sensible decision to have him on the bench

15. murphy88

McGregor and the medical team have both obviously declared him fit enough to take part.

Random Review likes this.
  16. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

We're definitely playing well and have the better players..

However, we do struggle to put in a full 90min performance at times..

Palma back and we're full strength for the run in which bodes well, bench looks mostly strong.

Rydo1888*, bhroom and TheHappyLoss like this.
  17. murphy88

His subs were actually spot on to be honest. We weren’t getting out so brought on Idah to allow us to go long. We were losing midfield, so brought on our captain who usually controls games, especially these ones. Kuhn on a booking and Hatate was only ever going to play the time he did. What more could he do?

It’s fantasy to think we would dominate the second half like the first. That was just never going to happen. Prime example was in the Liverpool game later as well. Away team and absolutely annihilated Man Utd first half. Should have been out of sight. Second half, different game and they nearly lost it. That’s not because Klopp isn’t a top manager. It’s the nature of football. The home team in they type of games are always going to have large chunks of the game. The most frustrating thing was that the huns were gifted back into the game because of a decision that was outwith our control. Which was blatant cheating.

18. Dubliner1

Some people on here are so anti Brendan. He seems to get the blame for a lot of things. Get behind him for the last 6 games. We have the title in our own hands. We know what we need to do. That is how simple this is. It will be even better when Dundee take points off them on Weds night.

McKagan, murphy88 and Big C like this.
  19. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Rodgers definitely has some responsibility but McGregor has to take responsibility for his part in the decision definitely. Particularly as captain.

murphy88 and bhroom like this.
  20. murphy88

I’d be amazed if Rodgers put him in the squad without the nod from both medical team and McGregor to be honest. I thought it was the correct sub, it backfired though.

Artorias, Dannybhoy81 and NomDePlum like this.