1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

2. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Aye, noticed that.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  3. Big C

We’d all have taken a draw prior to the game. Yet another example of BR’s class as a manager.

4. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    I would have killed for a draw before the game. He's supposed to be an "elite" manager though, we should have been able to hold a two goal lead.

bhroom, neilly1987, singer61 and 2 others like this.
  5. Jo-Jo-Buffon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    walk alone on a champs league night
    If Khun never got a mysterious booking still don't think he would've been there at the end though, if so after the 3rd and injury time wad saying to shore it up, bring Nawrocki on for a winger go 5-3-2 or 5-4-1 and hold on

limezer, neilly1987 and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  6. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Individuals will always make mistakes. I think sometimes we have to look at them and not the manager

7. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    True, but we are not winning or losing this league based on these games as things stand. His record is remarkable (P16 W12 D2 L2) but a lot of those were against a pretty sub-standard Sevco side, back during his first stint. Not taking anything away from being undefeated this seaosn, but the overall issues have been elsewhere.

Celtic have dropped far too many points elsewhere this season. He has a pretty * ordinary overall record in Edinburgh against both of the clubs there, for instance. BR has literally won once at Easter Road over his entire time as Celtic manager, his record at Tynecastle is not much better.

This season specific, we've lost twice to Hearts - incl the first at CP since 2009 or something, McInnes has schooled him repeatedly with Killie. At the start of the season we dropped points at home v St J, who at the time had yet to pick up a single point and everyone, media, fans etc, was pretty much of the consensus that they were odd-on favourite for the drop. Motherwell were 9 games without a win when we dropped more points against them. Dropping more points v Aberdeen had just sacked Robson after a dreadful run of form etc.

There may be others, but they are the ones immediately come to mind. Is it complacency? Thinking of other games rather than focusing on the game at hand? Dropped points from winning positions far too often.

Winning even a single one of those games and we are sitting at least 3 points clear tonight, if not more.

Only twice this season have we won more than 2 games back to back, across all comps. From mid-Dec til the end of Jan, when we won 6 (5 league, 1 Cup) on the trot, and then coming into this game we had won 3 (2 League, 1 Cup) on the bounce.

Now we have to do something we have not come close to managing all season, where Celtic have to win 8 consecutive to win the League and Scottish Cup. Yes, we finally have close to a full squad for the run-in, but it's far from an easy ask given what has gone before this campaign.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  8. FrankMcCallum

People just dislike him and that will never change.

We’re a few minutes away there from people labelling it a masterclass etc.

He can’t legislate for that penalty decision or the individual faults in the other two goals.

No goal we conceded was down to team shape or set up.

McKagan, Big C, bhroom and 13 others like this.
  9. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

I’m at the stage now where I’d take the league and not even care about the cup.

Shows how standards have slipped I guess.

neilly1987 and Random Review like this.
  10. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    I get your points but he has been let down by the board and a few of our players need clearing out. These things need to be factored in when looking at the bigger picture.

neilly1987 and Random Review like this.
  11. Captain Brown Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Advantage Celtic!!

Well done BR. Just need to find the right tactics to win the rest of our games and we win the league.

Their fans and especially their managers reaction at the end (beating of his chest) tells me all I need to know. They are not getting full points in the run in to the league. * shat it first half and end up celebrating a draw at home against your biggest rivals. * bring it on.

12. Pogues

Exactly mate. Very close to winning all 3 Glasgow derbies, 2 away from home.

Tactics were fine, individual errors cost us.

13. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Agreed, if asked right now, 100% would take the 6 League wins, but my point is that it highlights how inconsistent we are that we have only managed to win more than 2 games back to back across all competitions twice, and even just in the leegue we have only once won 6 on the spin, and that was in Sept-Oct.

Also we are currently on a run of only kept 2 clean sheets in 11 games (1 in 9 league).

Talk about not making things easy for ourselves.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  14. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I don't like him but I think it was a decent performance. Only real criticism of today was playing McGregor, which wasn't just him.

He's done well against them. Think we'll win the last match. It's seeing out other games that we need to improve at.

15. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Normally, the likes of Hearts and Kilmarnock don't cause massive trouble for us. This year though...beating them is our graduation thesis. A very difficult exam, but no pain, no gain.

Let's get it done.

bhroom, neilly1987 and singer61 like this.
  16. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Kilmarnock have always been a thorn in our side, as have Hearts. That's a weird thing to say. Postecoglu managed to kinda wipe the majority of that away but even Postecoglu was beaten at Tynecastle.

17. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    Absolutely. I blame the board more than him but he is being paid a lot of money and he does have the best squad in Scotland.

bhroom, neilly1987 and Jeannie960 like this.
  18. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Yeah well we have some players who are simply not good enough but by and large we have some really class players and I would say we're edging it at the moment. Either way the best team overall will win the league.

neilly1987 likes this.
  19. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    To be fair, though, have we ever been able to play our strongest team from that squad? I know you can't always expect to be able to play your strongest team; but I literally can't remember a single game this year when we could. For most of that, it's been more than one player missing too.

And that's not even mentioning some of the horrific back 4s we've had to play at times.

Crilly likes this.
  20. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Modern football has been a squad game for at least a decade for exactly this reason. It has been particularly bad this season but it would almost be more of anomaly to have all first picks available. You could argue today that was actually the case if you count McGregor today.