1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Luis Palma

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Notorious, Aug 28, 2023.

Discuss Luis Palma in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Forrest, Maeda, M Johnston, Yang and Abada have got 17 goal contributions between them according to your list there. Says it all really.

2. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Depressing side note to this.. Barisic has more goal contributions this season than all our full backs combined, nevermind Tavernier. Horrific.

Liam Scales likes this.
  3. FrankMcCallum

He’s got good numbers, fair play. But at the same time he’s a forward player in a team that has 70% possession every game and whose wage bill dwarfs most teams in the league. At the risk of sounding ungrateful, that’s whats expected.

He’s not great, but he’s our best winger by a mile, which sums it up really.

I’ll reserve judgement on his overall play until he gets a competent left back overlapping him to create space. Something that was unfathomably neglected in January. He’ll probably thrive if we ever get round to that.

Fontaine likes this.
  4. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Yeah this is it really.

9 assists in the league. Blair Spittal at Motherwell has 8, and do does Daniel Armstrong at Killie. It’s not as if it’s an outrageous tally.

FrankMcCallum likes this.
  5. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Guy is *. Reeks of someone that tries more for himself than for the team.

Would happily get shot of him asap. He isn't the only one in that team that is dog * tbf.

6. MynameisEarl

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA

Aye, hence why I said there is probably a player there, but stats aside he’s an incredibly frustrating watch just now.

The team will benefit a lot from him learning how to beat a man and put a ball in the box quicker, far too often he relies on cutting back inside and trying to find a perfect pass. The one time he did actually beat his man and put one from the byline we actually created a good opportunity.

His decision making from a 1vs1 perspective and his set pieces are also wildly inconsistent …

The Ross county game for me was also a good example, their full back was on a booking for the majority of the game and he barely had a go at him.

7. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Seemingly become the whipping boy despite being the only winger who's contributed this season..resulting in his reliance as a creative outlet.

You have * in our support defending Yang, on the basis of his proposed "technical ability" and Maeda, for his workrate.. despite doing * all the entire season..

8. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    He's quickly becoming the new Haksabanovic

9. henriks tongue

Palma has been our best wide player this season, by a distance.
    Maybe that's not too hard but there is a decent player in there, plays with head up, has a decent cross and shot and isn't a headless chicken like Yang or Maeda
    He badly lacks pace though and that's a problem as an out and out winger.
    Bring him into a more mobile front 3 that's isn't glued to sideline and he'll improve.

10/4 Kemosabe likes this.
  10. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/ Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    He is easily our best wide player but far too often cuts inside. Opposition teams have wised up to this and don't allow him to get his shot off. Needs to start going round the outside more and getting crosses in.

Is very lightweight at times, has problems holding the ball up and decision making can be poor but still offers more than the headless robo chicken, or any of the other wingers.

11. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Part of it also is the winger on the other side is actually doing nothing.

Someone said before he only has 1 goal in his last 11 games but it's not like we are delivering from right right and you are thinking that this stupid * isn't getting into the box to finish these.

Either he gets the ball, beats men and cross or beats men and has a shot or nothing else happens. He doesn't even really get overlapped or play his way in from the wing via Taylor or Bernardo or Kyogo/Idah theres no inter play.

Theres no supply coming from anycunt else to anybody.

Look at the goals Jota/Abada/Maeda used to score at the back post from the other winger supplying it even the full-back or whoever, actually O'Riley used to get into those areas, under Ange I feel like O'Riley probably set up about 10 goals from the left side of the box, now we never see him on that side of the pitch. Mooy also set up chances from the inside wide areas of the box.

You never really see Bernardo or O'Riley in those areas now and there is no getting in behind the opposition to square a ball along the box for the striker/opposite winger.

Bernardo and O'Riley are either outside the box in the corner areas or in like the penalty spot area in the box, they are never down the wing area.

So you never see like O'Riley/Bernardo on the left side inside the box recieving a pass from Palma for Palma to run in and get the ball back for a shot.

Palma only ever gets the ball on the touchline and then it has to be a solo effort on your own either to cross or shoot.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
  12. PaddyBhoy-1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    Maybe it’s just me but I feel like he always does a wee step over and always goes to the right side when trying to cut inside when entering the box from the wing areas. He’s so predictable for a player who’s main purpose is to be unpredictable, which Jota was a master at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Big C

Not got the mentality to play for us yet. Hate how he laughs everytime he * it, which is often.

Mince.Charming likes this.
  14. Foley1888

He wasn’t good enough by a long way but still put a perfect ball in on Idah’s head 7 yards from goals and I can only assume he shut his eyes. See if we had a striker who actually could head a ball and attack a cross Palma would have double the assists he does.

Our wing play is rightly getting hammered of late but it must be frustrating getting the ball out there and having nothing to hit, even if there is players getting in they are static and often in poor positions not to mention physically outmatched.

15. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    This wee * LAUGHING every time he * up is doing my head in. Someone needs to tell him handing Sevco the Title and £60 million isn’t funny.

16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Only guy sticking his head above the trenches, trying to make * happen, taking the responsibility on.

That invites attention, the ones playing it safe, not doing much are much less obvious

17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    He’s done so much more for us to be in a position that’s even close to them than most. 2nd only to O’Riley goal contributions.

And that’s just assists counting, how many times he’s set up an easy chance to finish, that’s not put away, it’s mad.

He grimaces when he * up, don’t think it’s a laugh. More baring teeth, frustration

18. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Wasting your time at this point mate, so many can't take to him at all.

Totally agree with you though.

19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    It’s genuinely baffling to me but :56:

I’m like the exact opposite of what I’m hearing, I don’t give a single * when he misplaces a pass trying to thread it threw 3 defenders and overhits it a bit or something, because thank * someone is trying to do something unexpected.

The only frustration I have with him is he tries to hit every run off every player but hasn’t clocked Kyogo’s early runs and gelled with that yet. He’s done two belters dropping deeper over the top to him earlier this year I can remember that Kyogo *, which was frustrating.

But * me, the reliance on him to be the creative outlet and how much he has actually provided that, it’s * impressive, and unfair on Palma him needing to take that responsibility on before he’d even settled in here at all.

Honestly, if it’s not Palma or O’Riley, who is the guy who will be supplying the pass for us to score? More hope that somebody else will, than expected for others to do it

Zander and ILoveTheCeltic like this.
  20. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Even then O'Riley has completely dried up as we don't even get the ball around the box much now.

O'Riley got a few of his assists earlier in the season from being in the box and laying it off or playing it through or cutting it back while actually in the box on the ball. Recently O'Riley has very few touches of the ball in the box, Bernardo either, we aren't even really getting that high up the park to get guys involved in good areas.

The past 5/6 games it's mostly been Palma or nothing. Maeda and Abada can't be relied on to create, Yang I have actually barely seen even attempt a ball into the box or shot - Yang seems to always dribble past 1 or 2 players to the byline and get into the box where he hits the ball off the next defender for a corner as defenders already seen him coming with the ball from 30 yards away and closed off the space, Kuhn we've barely seen but he's not really done anything. Mikey Johnston was doing more than them.

Since the break the team looks even slower in possession and less creative than what was already * to begin with, players probably depressed playing.