1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Liel Abada

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Valhalla, Jul 14, 2021.

Discuss Liel Abada in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    If theres a few interested club though then that changes things

Waiting For An Alibi likes this.
  2. TeesBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobo Balde
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Not down to Celtic why Abada feels he can't play. Externalities at play making it harder for the lad. Genuinely a sad situation all round.

BhoyFitz and martin_d like this.
  3. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    * him.

He agreed to sign for us knowing the fan bases politics and was happy to take the money for 3 years. I have absolutely no sympathy for him, we are paying him to do a job and he's refusing to do that.

4. oh bhoy

is the american transfer window open get him away to * anywhere else

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  5. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Winter break was on. Place was closed

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

6. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Simplistic and harsh a lot has happened since he signed that contract..

Extremely difficult situation for everyone.

Sween, Jeannie960, BhoyFitz and 7 others like this.
  7. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Brendan Rodgers admits troubled Celtic star Liel Abada could be heading for a Parkhead exit.

The Hoops boss revealed the Israel winger won’t be available to face Kilmarnock as he continues to struggle with the conflict raging in his homeland. Rodgers is giving the youngster his full support but can’t put a time frame on any potential return to the team. And there is a chance Abada could leave the club altogether.

Rodgers said: “It’s a possibility. But we’ll see. We will work together on it. I don’t think that far ahead. In my job, how I’ve always managed players and how I’ve worked with players, I’ve always tried to do everything I can and will continue to do everything I can to get him on the pitch for Celtic, because he’s a very, very important player.

"There may come that time later down the line where that might not be the case, but I will always have that empathy for a player and support, and if that’s just not enough, then you know…

“It’s things I’ve done before, and whoever it is I’ll be there for them, and take it from there really. It’s just about assessing each individual state and situation, and obviously through conversation with the player then of course we have to look at that. But him and I have communicated a lot, and it’s been very open and honest, so we will just assess that as we go along.

“He already did go back (to Israel) for a little period, and again, if that was something he wanted do then of course we would assess that. But I think he’s keen just to continue working and staying fit and being ready, and if there’s a change, then you can look at that.”

Rodgers admitted Abada is dealing with a lot of pressure in Scotland and from his homeland, with Israel involved in a * conflict with Palestine following the Hamas attack on October 7. Hoops fans have backed the player but also taken part in huge shows of support for the people in Gaza.

Rodgers and Abada have held discussions where the pair agreed the youngster would take a step back from the first team. He was allowed to travel home but has returned to Scotland an taken part in training.

But Rodgers said: “It was both of us. It wasn’t just me. I’ve had other situations where I’ve said to a player to go and look after themselves and make sure their mind is right. But with Liel it was both of us. There’s been regular communication and I’ve tried to read it as well. The attitude and mindset is so important, especially when you play for a huge club with expectations. It’s something we’ve looked at it together to try to find the best solution.”

Rodgers admitted the pressure coming from Israel has been tough for Abada with Celtic’s support of Palestine acknowledged around the world. He said: “You certainly have to acknowledge that. It definitely plays a part in it, it plays a big part.

“The perception of him playing here and playing at a team that some of the support base…for people looking in from the outside it’s different to what is actually here. You see the reception he had when he came on. The Celtic supporters love Liel and what he has done here, but this is outwith that.

“It’s still a challenge for him. He’s quite an insular boy anyway but he’s a real good kid. It’s just a shame through no fault of his or Celtic’s that this situation has arisen.”

8. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

UNSETTLED Celtic winger Liel Abada is a transfer target for three clubs in America’s MLS after Brendan Rodgers admitted he may have played his last game for the Parkhead side.

Absent from last weekend’s Scottish Cup win over St Mirren because he was not in the right frame of mind to play, the 22-year-old will also miss today’s home league clash with Kilmarnock for the same reason.

Rodgers conceded yesterday that the Israeli international could now leave Glasgow. Placed under sustained pressure from his homeland over the pro-Palestinian stance of sections of the Celtic support, Abada was a loan target for clubs in England, Germany and France in the January window. While a move to a European team is no longer an option, MLS clubs can request the international transfer certificate of players under contract in another country until April 23.

Celtic have yet to receive any offers, but Mail Sport understands that a trio of unnamed US outfits are interested in handing him a permanent exit from the Scottish champions.

Despite holding a series of discussions with the player, Rodgers acknowledged last week that the situation had been ‘challenging’ for the player.

Speaking yesterday, he admitted there were no guarantees that Abada would play for Celtic again.

‘It’s still the same situation,’ said Rodgers. ‘I have had lots of conversations with Liel and I am really empathetic towards the issue he has.

‘It’s more than football. It’s at a human level, so I have to respect that.

‘He is training, he is working away, but this period is all about the mind. If you’re not quite right or ready, firstly, I can’t take any risk with him, because we will always support the player, and, obviously, I also have to protect the squad as well. It’s ongoing, we will just assess it and see where it’s at.

‘It’s my job and I will take the human aspect, like I have done with numbers of players before, and look after him. And when he’s ready, if he ever is ready, then he will be able to give us everything.’

Pressed on whether he saw a way back for the player at Parkhead, Rodgers added: ‘I don’t think that far ahead.

‘In my job, how I’ve always managed players and how I’ve worked with players, I’ve always tried to do everything I can and will continue to do everything I can to get him on the pitch for Celtic, because he’s a very, very important player.

‘There may come that time later down the line where that might not be the case, but I will always have that empathy for a player and support him and, if that’s just not enough then, you know…

‘It’s things I’ve done before, and whoever it is I’ll be there for them, and take it from there, really.’

Asked if a move could be an option, the Northern Irishman replied: ‘It’s a possibility. But we’ll see. We will work together on it.’

Keen to stress that the decision to sit out another game was arrived at jointly, Rodgers said: ‘It was both of us. It wasn’t just me.’

9. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    McGowan linking him with move to MLS

10. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

It would be best for all concerned.

Might even be essential for squad harmony.

This must be having an effect on the squad.

As much as I loathe the actions of Israel, his head must be spinning.

Believe me I have fell out with family over it due to family of family being Israeli and me either not towing the line or more often than not, challenging their views.

Regardless of his personal views, he must have family in Israel and it will be tearing him apart.

Just get him out on loan. If nothing else he might find some form and we can move him on at the end of the season.

11. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    We miss a trick buy not singing this, can imagine the orc perplexity

12. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Sign me up Dermot

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

13. Sentinel

Nice one Green Brigade.

14. Sgt Neppers*

Now the suits move quickly...* sake. Talk about being outta touch.

He's done at Celtic. I don't envy his position in the slightest. But I won't be fooled to thinking when he leaves for good, there won't be a few interviews slamming Celtic and more than likely the fans for their position, be it from his agent or Israeli national set up.

In football terms, he can be improved upon. I have no worries there. But we should be the best we can and support him as the person, as best and empathetically as we can meantime.

BhoyFitz likes this.
  15. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Are you * serious?

The blame lies with Israel and to a lesser extent, Hamas.

Sure 300 Scotsmen with a banner forced him out.

Give yourself a shake ya numpty.

16. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Mind when we all thought the internet might be a force for good?

Turns out it's fostered a generation of complete imbeciles who think if they get more than 10 likes they're some sort of sage.

Embarrassing.

Dannybhoy81 and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  17. jvalin

Raising awareness about the genocide in Palestine is infinitely more important than winning football mathes. If Abada doesn't like it here, so be it. I would never want us to change who we are to make players happy.

BhoyFitz and Crilly like this.
  18. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Get him to *. End of.

19. Liam Scales

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I’ve always said the same, when they realise it’s complimentary, which may take a while it’d be hilarious. Plus, it’s a * belter of a choon as well.

Dannybhoy81 likes this.
  20. BigWilly Free Palestine and Ukraine Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Willy
    He is between a Rock and a Hard place, the Israeli national team manager basically said he needed to choose who to play for, add in his injury and its no wonder he is unsettled, he has been great for us but if can't commit 100% every week then it is best he move on

BhoyFitz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.