1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Aye he definitely was, did he not get MotM in one of the write ups? Sky maybe? I thought it was BBC match report :56:

Berny and Ralston were our best players the other night, and got to give Idah a nod because scoring two penalties, one a winner under extreme pressure, along with a probably average performance that if he took chances that came along would have been a great one…. He gets a nod for mentality at the penalty at the end, after already putting one away. That impressed me.

murphy88 likes this.
  2. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Bernabei and Taylor are totally different players in so many ways; but one thing they share is that they both offer something genuinely interesting going forward and they both give me the fear when we are defending.

bhroom likes this.
  3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Something interesting I’ve noticed with Bernabei, defending on the front foot, high press defending and nipping infront of a player to win the ball he’s quite good at. Which makes sense under the way Ange would have us play, last couple games with some of what I’ve seen of him makes a bit more sense to me why we signed him. Still don’t think he’s good enough, but the plus sides he has to his game and what he can build on, I can see why we looked at it and thought we could make that something better.

Wllm and Random Review like this.
  4. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    The team really is only missing jota from last season in regards to outgoing the fact mainstay centre back and mainstay midfielder along with mainstay on Abada being injured has seriously affected Celtic firms what that means is the back up projects are not in same league as their predecessor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Billy beane of money ball would disagree

6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I’d be surprised if he had an opinion on Alan Morrison stat breakdowns on us :56:

littlekennie likes this.
  7. NoContextCelts

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    We have not managed to find a winger remotely close to Jota's creativity over the past 2 windows. It has seriously killed us in attack and is one of the main reasons I feel we are struggling to break down teams atm

Ryanm1984 likes this.
  8. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Jota, Starfelt and Mooy have all been missed in terms of outgoings, especially the first 2; and it's a bit arbitrary to only count outgoings when so many key players have missed so many games and Hatate has hardly kicked a ball for us all season. Also, I don't think "only" can be used when it's your best player from last season.

9. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    You will actually see that in saying injuries have hampered us more tbh I think the momentum really got sucked out the team when the board pulled the stunt of * the fans off and banning some team seemed to recover and beat rangers then the break came and sucked right out of them especially with the transfer window being poor

10. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Yeah, I think that's a good point about momentum.

11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Mooy is a bigger loss than generally gets acknowledged, him hitting form was short lived, 20 games or so but it was * crucial and a major part of how well we done last year.

His experience and football IQ was something I couldn’t see us replacing, and we haven’t, talented youngster in Holm and Bernardo instead but the experience and calm quality is something we don’t have outwith Calmac.

12. Slaw

Huddersfield fans regard him as their best ever player. Guy was a total class act. Shame how it ended

13. Guchi Gucci Gold Member Gold Member

Mooy, Starfelt, Jota would be huge losses for any team. But when you add in CCV, Hatate injuries then it's been pretty brutal season for us. Half of last season's treble winners not there.

Morcombe, jimbobers and Random Review like this.
  14. murphy88

Same team but

Guchi Gucci likes this.
  15. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

BRENDAN RODGERS says failing to land a trophy in his first season back as Celtic boss is NOT an option.

The Parkhead gaffer takes his side to St Mirren this weekend chasing a place in the last eight of the Scottish Cup.

Rodgers won seven trophies in two-and-a-half seasons during his first spell in charge — but has already lost out on the Viaplay Cup after a shock Hoops loss to Kilmarnock in August.

Rodgers insisted: “I’m here to win. That’s not just my view because of what happened when I was here before, but because of my own mindset now in being here.

“It’s not what the supporters demand and it’s not what the club demands.

“And it’s certainly not what I demand.

“By the time I do leave here, I hope I’ve won a lot.”

Rodgers, who will take on countryman Stephen Robinson in the opposite dugout, saw his side cruise past the Buddies 3-0 at the SMiSA Stadium just six weeks ago in the league.

But this time they’ll be without defenders Alistair Johnston and Cameron Carter-Vickers, while left-back Greg Taylor is also likely to miss out.

Adam Idah is in line to start again after scoring twice to earn Celtic a victory against Hibs in midweek.

The Irish striker is on loan until the end of the season and many a Hoops supporter was far from thrilled at his arrival.

But Rodgers is tipping him to go to the top and told him he’ll be IDOLISED if he becomes a Celtic star.

He said: “I spoke to him on Friday morning and told him he’s had a great start, and well done.

“But always remember this is a game where a pat on the back is only about ten inches from a slap on the a**e!

“A clever guy told me that success has many fathers. When you’re succeeding, everyone’s there for you.

“But when you fail, you’re an orphan.

“If you want to succeed, it’s that humility - along with consistency - which keeps you there.

“So the message was, ‘Well done, you’ve scored two goals in your first start - two big pressure goals with everything involved - but don’t get too carried away’.

“Adam’s only 22 but he already has around 25 international appearances. He’s played against some top players and scored in the Premier League.

“So he’s clearly got the talent, it’s just about getting the consistency.

“It’s fair to say I’m excited about working with Adam and trying to take his game to the next level.

“I had seen him live in the Premier League with Norwich and I saw a young player with real potential. Him being Irish obviously caught my eye as well.

“It just hasn’t quite worked out for him yet, but when you see someone with that physicality, speed and technique, it excites you.

“You saw on Wednesday night how he took those two penalties. It was with authority and composure.

“When I see all of that, it always excites me. He’s got all the tools there.

“It’s now about trying to help him get the mentality you need to be a top player.

“People will ask me, how far can he go? Well, he has the talent to go to the very highest level.

“But it’s about what he does with it.

“There are players with the same talent as Adam but they’re playing on local pitches on a Sunday afternoon."

16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    But always remember this is a game where a pat on the back is only about ten inches from a slap on the a**e!

Bet he’s been practicing that one in the mirror all season, waiting for the opportunity to say it :56:

BR always gives me the impression that he sits down on a Sunday and writes out witty and philosophical sayings for a couple hours, and consults the notebook before he gives a presser

17. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Rodgers is great at saying the things we want to hear via the media but in reality he stands at the touch line totally clueless, he seems to have lost the dressing room as the majority of performances are mediocre bordering on poor, he makes great statements about getting quality into this team, yet the last 2 transfer windows have been dissapointing.
    Do I trust you Rodgers?
    Sorry but the answer is no.

18. KuhntryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Matt O'Riley
    Fav Celtic Song:
    We're on the road again
    "failing to win a trophy is not an option"

Naw Brendan. Failing to win the league is not an option.
    Lose the league and win the cup, then you've won * all

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  19. Twisty Champions Again !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Be better spending time showing players how to hit a shot :84:

You're probably about right as well.

Liam Scales likes this.
  20. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    Not sure he's actually lost the dressing room. Don't really get that impression at all. Just don't think he's got a clear team shape and tactics communicated. Probably because he doesn't know himself, which is telling. We are pretty shapeless now in most our games and I don't see any evidence of anything in particular being worked on to improve us game to game.

Yeh, Kyogos not particularly happy and Abadas unsettled but I just don't see the egos in that dressing room to not go and play. It's the constant uncertainty and lack of direction from Rodgers that is the main issue for me.

bhroom likes this.