1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I think you misunderstand the source of people's discontent. It isn't that we're moany bar stewards and it isn't that we aren't winning 3-0 every week. There is a bit of (understandable!) nostalgia about Ange's team; but that's not the main reason either. It's the breathtaking regression over the past 9 months, the obvious fact that it was totally unnecessary and the feeling that neither the board nor Rodgers seem to have taken the massive decline seriously.

Morcombe, bhroom, robbiek and 3 others like this.
  2. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Thank you for introducing this interesting site! It really is an eye-opener. Among the things I've learned in the last 10 minutes is that of the players with the highest xA for Kyogo, the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th have either left or missed most of the season. That's mental and certainly puts a different spin on his performances this season!

Guchi Gucci and Liam Scales like this.
  3. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
  4. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Its the article @Sgt Neppers* posted mate

The Celtic way is a decent site

5. Peter T. Lawwell Esq Chairman of Celtic FC PLC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    I didn't misunderstand anything. I already said being a moany * isn't going to change the * transfer business.

At this point all the huffing and moaning does is put everyone on a downer and hands the title to the huns.

We're top of the league, still got two trophies to play for, and a tough cup tie on Sunday. And all you * are doing is make everycunt want to slit their wrists.

6. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Brendan Rodgers has joked that FIFA's proposed new blue card rule for sin-bins would not work in Scotland because of the colour.

The idea for an additional punishment for offences sending players to a sin-bin at the side of the pitch has been discussed this week.

It could be signed off by IFAB as soon as next month when the football rule-makers meet in Scotland.

If approved then domestic leagues can sign up for a trial scheme but Rodgers is not impressed with the potential new rules.

As well as joking about how the colour of the cards could cause problems, the 50-year-old also made clear it would simply "complicate" the game.

"As soon as I saw it, I thought, I work in Scotland so I'm sure as a blue one or we might be in trouble!

"Just don't complicate it - make a decision. Whether it's red, yellow or no decision - we don't need a blue card up here, that's for sure.

7. Sgt Neppers*

Cheers bud.

Random Review likes this.
  8. henriks tongue

Interesting but stats, while important, can only tell you one part of any story, for example if we 'quickly' pass sideways and backwards then it's easy to look good on that front 'statistically'.

My eyes and brain tell me that in the final third we look slow, are risk averse, inaccurate in forward passing/crossing and can't shoot to save our lives.
    It's also clear to me that we are lacking confidence, have low energy, poor body language - none of which will ever show up in Opta stats.
    Combine that with many first team players not having even the most basic of footballing skills, it's not a pretty picture - regardless of the statistics.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
  9. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I think it's a bit harsh the way you have put it as we're only human and, quite frankly, a little bit of moaning is more than justified; but I guess if I think about it, you have a fair point about it not achieving anything and about the need to get behind the team unless and until the title is safely won.

10. KuhntryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Matt O'Riley
    Fav Celtic Song:
    We're on the road again
    We are top by the narrowist of margins. 3 points and two goals, and they have a game in hand. They win that by two goals we're level.
    I support Celtic because I was born to support Celtic. I've lived in England a lot and from time to time I've have taken an interest in English teams, they only other team I support are St Pauli.
    In fact you could say St Pauli are my first team, as I was born to support Celtic, but I CHOSE to support St Pauli.

I have often had cause to be unhappy with the people who run Celtic, but I have always supported the TEAM.

So my message to Rodgers is simple. "We are behind you. If you lead we will follow, but if you don't lead, we'll * trample you into the ground.
    So if you're not going to lead you need to stop being in the * way.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  11. KuhntryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Matt O'Riley
    Fav Celtic Song:
    We're on the road again
    Do you remember that Aberdeen manager who said "stats are like a mini skirt, they give you a good idea but hide the important stuff"?

robbiek and henriks tongue like this.
  12. Sgt Neppers*

Alan Morrison (Celtic by numbers) on Twitter is worth listening to. Data driven, but laid out simply to follow.

bhroom and Random Review like this.
  13. murphy88

Your point wasn’t lost on me, I just disagree with it. Abada between pre-season and the first few games of the season was as producing good numbers. Ahh BBC player ratings. That’s you proved your point then. That BBC that had Bernabei as one of our worst players against Hibs the other night going by their ratings.

14. murphy88

Ebbe Skovdahl

15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Not with the ‘pack passes’ point in the end, passes that take opponents out the game. However, that’s also one that has a further explanation of how we build the play - we would have the midfield into the final 3rd aggressively going more direct and passing to take players out the game further up the pitch last season, this season those passes are mostly done by Liam Scales.

16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    And stats wise, he was one of our best :fear:

I love a good stat to back up a point or to give insight of what you see on the pitch yourself to give a bit more insight, on their own they are useless though

17. KuhntryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Matt O'Riley
    Fav Celtic Song:
    We're on the road again
    That's the fella

murphy88 likes this.
  18. murphy88

Bernabei was one of our better players the other night. BBC had Welsh, Maeda, O’Riley all better than him.

19. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    It's exactly what I didn't know I was missing. :giggle1:

Thanks. :50:

bhroom and Sgt Neppers* like this.
  20. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Christ, he'd lose his job for saying that nowadays.