1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. vortex666

I think he has to go last night was brutal .we have been * for ages under him(don't even get me started on his European record) .he has also given a * sevco side hope * should be kneeling over there grave ready to be buried but no how the * have we got so bad. My opinion if Rodgers still here until end of season we not only loose league but will loose by 10 /12 points . As of replacement Kennedy was * last time but has worked under ange so maybe go back to his tactics under him .I'm just scunnered like everyone else just want him oot now

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  2. Paradise_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    One thing I did see from him last night and my mate pointed it out when we were in the crowd was after the game the first time he really showed any emotion and passion after a win.

hopefully it can spark the team into life seeing the gaffer get his hunger for a fight looked like he enjoyed that one.

football was honking but hope it can spark something from us for the rest of the season

Ryanm1984 likes this.
  3. BigManSmalls

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I hope to * that is a turning point now. If we dropped points yesterday the league would be in doubt for me.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  4. murphy88

We actually look better when we play through the middle. Which shouldn’t really be the case because that’s where it’s often congested and then you need to move it wide quickly and get the winger one v one. The issue is, we have wingers that don’t beat their man. Our wingers are offering nothing. A diamond would suit the personnel we have from middle to front, but we don’t have the full backs to play it. I’m really not sure what tue answer is. I suppose that’s what will happen when to have a scattergun approach to recruitment.

I think we are very similar to Man Utd just now when it comes to signings. We are bringing players in with no real thought process behind it. The players doesn’t seem to be getting signed to play in a specific system or in a certain way. It’s just chucking boys in and hoping it works. I think this is where a director of football working alongside the manager would solve a lot of problems. We are stuck in the dark ages and need gutted from the top down.

5. Mr Diggler

All this talk of sacking Rodgers or getting rid in the summer. Madness. Guys need to calm themselves. The bottom line is that Rodgers has not been backed. We had two options in the sunmer- bring in a continuity candidate who would play the same type of football as Ange so minimal change and no need to rebuild.

Or bring in a big name who plays a different style but you will need to back him. Keep guys like CCV, Johnston, McGregor, Hatate, O'Reilly, Kyogo and build the team around them. Pay decent money for a good left back, goalkeeper and winger. We were unfortunate to lose Jota but replacing him with Palma? Atrocious recruitment. I doubt the Board will ever open the chequebook the * but we are in a dogfight now and if we manage to come out the other side with little or no investment in the summer then it will be the end for the Board. They must know it.

HoopyT likes this.
  6. cfc_kenny

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    While I agree that the root problem stems from the board, I don't think it's madness to suggest he leaves in the summer if the league isn't won.

As you say, he hasn't been backed, and I think that explains the lack of improvement. However, it doesn't explain the rapid decline in the team's style of play. It doesn't justify being knocked out of the league cup so early in the season. And it doesn't explain why individuals such as Kyogo, Abada, Johnston, Mcgregor have regressed at an alarming rate. He doesn't appear to be getting the best out of anyone, except O'Riley for a spell, but even that has subsided.Yes our squad is a lot weaker than it was last year, but it's still stronger than the (domestic) competition, yet you wouldn't know that when watching the majority of our games this season. Rodgers has to take responsibility for that.

It's complete conjecture, but based on watching the rest of the squad, I honestly think if we brought back Jota (for example) he would also look 1/2 the player he did under Ange. I'm absolutely not justifying the risk averse approach taken by the board; it's scandalous, but Rodgers position is tenuous if this dross continues.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2024
  7. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Nail on head this post.

NakamuraTastic and The_Bhoy like this.
  8. murphy88

There has been a lot of players regressed agreed. I think it’s unfair to include Abada in that. He started the season really well and then got injured. Hasn’t come back the same player after the injury granted, but that can happen to any player after a lengthy time out. It’s also fair to think that other things might be impacting on him.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  9. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    The football has generally been poor but the quality of the Rodgers team v Anges team is night and day.

Take Starfelt, CCV, Hatate, Jota, Juranovic and to lesser extent Giakoumakis out of Anges team and they likely would of struggled.

Ccv missed last 5 league games last season and we conceded 9 goals and looked a * shambles for most of those games.

Losing 4 players of the quality of those who have left coupled with * poor recruitment has massively diluted the quality of the squad. Losing our most creative and dynamic midfielder on top of all that has made it a million times worse

10. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Seen the below posterd on Facebook. Whilst I think Rodgers could do better with the personnel we have right now, I don't think any of the below could be argued with. Brendan has to do better but when you look at the below, he has been screwed over, no doubt about it

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

See all this nonsense
    It's the same Team Ang had

Brendan has destroyed the team

No it's not , no where near it

If we go back to the winter break 2022/23 season

Juranovic sold and replaced by AJ

Giakoumakis sold and replaced by Oh

Starfelt sold and been replaced by Nawrocki/ Lagerbielke

Jota sold and replaced by palma

Mooy - RETIRED and replaced by Holm

Ccv injured missed most of the season

Hatate injured missed most of the season

Maeda injured missed a lot of the season and away to the Asian Cup

Scales was on his way out the door- only because if injuries is he still a celtic player * that said he's took his chance well.

Abada been injured missed a lot of the season
    Turnbull - sold

That's 9 or 10 players who would have probably been first team starters

Oreilly hasn't kicked a ball since the bid by athletico madrid been knocked back

Now he didn't sanction these players, these deals were all done prior to his arrival

The board haven't backed the manager, they've hung him out to dry

Give rodgers a break and get behind him and his team

If you've want to vent your anger , vent it at the celtic board

11. cfc_kenny

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I'm not sure what you're basing 'he started the season really well' on. There was a degree of optimism that Rodgers' coaching might bring out the best in him, but the general consensus amongst most fans before his injury was that he was playing poorly in comparison to the last two seasons, albeit the season was not long underway. Whether the reasons are the aftermath of his injury, or the conflict in Israel, he has still regressed. He went from being an impact sub with a solid goal return and plenty of assists to a player who looks lost.

12. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Agree he has to do better but that post highlights who much it's not the same team.

Only 4 of the players last night were regular starters under Ange. A massively regressing, ageing Joe Hart, Mcgregor, O'reilly and Maeda. Not 1 of the other 7 are an improvement or even close to the level of those they've replaced.

4 windows of * poor recruitment under Lawwell Jr are hitting us incredibly hard

stubhoy07 likes this.
  13. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Succinct and accurate summary here.

Its how I feel. I've defended him for a while but we are 6 or 7 months in now and I've yet to see consistency or improvement so there does also need to be a shoulder of blame on him for that.

The recruitment, at least this time around I dint blame him for. I fully believe, rightly or wrongly who knows, he is asking for a better level of player and not getting it. I also think he acknowledges we need to buy low and sell high now and again but it's clear he wants us to show a bit more ambition and that's no wrong thing in my book.

He's been up against it with many fans from day 1, though. That's one thing I was worried about when we did first bring him back, the toxicity and the potential it had to cause a rift within the fanbase or for it just to turn entirely against him if things started to go wrong. I think that's happened to a degree.

With a fresh, completely new manager I think in many cases they'd have been given a bit more leeway. Again, though, rightly or wrongly Rodgers has had more eyes on him from min 1. Which I did expect.

We need to push on from here though. Imperative. If we can knock a few good wins together we will do it. We still have the better squad, we still have the better level of experience, in what is still a young squad. Just get through these 13 or so games and reassess in the summer. Please.

Anymore performances like yesterday though and we can forget it.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2024
    cfc_kenny likes this.
  14. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I think up until the break, the above is/was my view too. It really frustrates me when people still talk like this team has anything like the players Ange's had. I think up until the break, Rodgers had done OK under the circumstances and I often argued this until yesterday.

Since the break, I'm not sure I can argue that anymore. We don't have the players to play with the same quality as last season and that's not on Rodgers; but we definitely have the players not to be so poor against midtable SPL opposition and that has to be on Rodgers.

He needs to sort it fast or we won't win this title.

15. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    I'm sorry, but no. Just no.

I don't mean to sound cruel but I'm sick of this utter nonsense.

Everyone agrees the recruitment has been shamblolic. But there's still zero excuse for the level of performances we're seeing. Stats don't lie, neither to actual line ups.

Ppl keep listing the players we've lost and presenting it like it's a starting 11, which simply UNTRUE.

Let's look at the Hibs game then, in isolation.

Last season , on Dec 29 we lined up with only 5 different personnel. With Hatate forced to play RB, CCV and Starfelt at CB, and Taylor available.
    Leading the attack was Kyogo, Maeda, and Abada, all available for Rodgers last game out. McGregor and O Reilly in the mid, with Mooy being the only midfield option unavailable to Rodgers. No Jota.

We won 4-0 away, against a far stronger Hibs side.

Fast forward a couple of months... Same away fixture to Hibs.

Rodgers' outliers in this one are Haksabanovic... Who was utterly pish. Kobayashi.... Who was utterly pish, Starfelt and Hatate playing on the right of midfield, again, no Jota. We got beat 4-2, after Maeda got sent off on 65 mins. A Hibs shocker took it to 2 a piece, followed by a Nisbet penalty to 3-2, then a Bernabei OG to 4-2.

We had 5 percent more possession, 10 more shots, 7 more blocked shots (one blocked shot for Rodgers side... One) and passed the ball over 70 times less. Hit the woodwork, and 6 more offsides against us.

See the REAL difference here? It isn't * Jota. It's tactics.

In comparison with that disgrace we saw the other night, the only real outlying differences is that in the 4-0 victory we had a stronger CB pairing. In the 4-2 defeat, a weaker CB pairing than the other night.

How can Ange play with Ralston and Bernabei at full backs and have stats far surpassing Rodgers?
    How can Ange play without CCV too and still have a better defensive intercept count with Kobayashi?
    How can Ange have Kyogo playing Infront of MoR and CalMac and have him performing like he can?
    How can Ange play without Jota and use James * Forrest?

Ppl need to cut this * out.

The major, IMMEDIATE problem is Rodgers. We're struggling against pish that are getting horsed by SPL sides who would chop their * arms off to have at least 1 player out Rodgers available first 11.

If we lose the title (and I believe we will) it WILL be down to the board. But appointing Brendan Rodgers was and is catalyst for this * show we are witnessing.

He's done. Past it. Teams are lining up to face us, smelling blood.
    And it certainly isn't because we lost Jota and Aaron * Mooy.

bhoy81, JamesM09, cfc_kenny and 8 others like this.
  16. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Exactly.

Can't blame him for defeats to Atletico and Lazio but FFS we are making Hibs, Ross County and Killie et al look like CL sides.

17. murphy88

Two assists against Yokohama, assist v Wolves, assist v Ross County, goal v Aberdeen. He was a threat at Ibrox as well and unlucky not to have a goal and an assist that day. Then he was injured a few games later. He undoubtedly started the season really well.

Ryanm1984 likes this.
  18. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Whilst this piece above is well positioned, do you not think your point crumbles a little bit when you say - 'Last season , on Dec 29 we lined up with only 5 different personnel.'

5 players is very significant, another way of wording it would be - it is 50% of outfield team!

You can't base your entire point on it being virtually same team and quickly point out that there was a difference of 'only 5 personnel'.

The_Bhoy and Random Review like this.
  19. TIART Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wee Callum
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Bernebei was doing that. Coming inside to drag their wide man inside to allow Scales a direct pass to our winger.

As soon as the ball was released, Bernebei ran on to underlap the winger for the pass.

JamesM09 likes this.
  20. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Do we tho?

None of that back 4 that finished the game are any better than Spfl level.

Ralston, Welsh and Scales have all had loans to clubs and Scotland over last few years and none of them stood out as being any better than those around them and Bernabei is just pish

Further forward we do but as others have pointed out, the midfield is playing far more cautiously due to the fact they know 1 miss placed pass is gonna allow teams to counter attack our bang average, slow defence