1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    It’s weird because he does change it when we concede… keeps idah on with kyogo. Then twice we’ve now scored after that. But I can’t understand why he doesn’t do that from the start and put the pressure on from the get go

bhroom likes this.
  2. Thomas67Kearno

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Rodgers isn't going anywhere this season. The board would look like absolute fools if they sacked him after bringing him back. Rodgers won't walk either, he has nowhere to go but down.

He'll see out the season, hopefully win the league and then they will sit down and have a discussion.

I just don't understand why the footballs so *. It wasn't this bad during his first term.

3. jvalin

Let's face it, we were lucky to win yesterday. In a vacuum, BR is a talented manager, but I don't think he can maximize the effectiveness of our current squad. The way I see it, we have to either rebuild from scratch or replace Rodgers. Realistically, it's far more convenient to replace 1 guy than replace half the squad.

Hopefully, we'll flip a switch and start playing better somehow. Don't see it tbh. We badly need creative players, especially at the wings. Losing Jota was a massive blow. As great as he was last season, I fully believe he would have been even better in BR's system. We also needed a target man. Hopefully, Idah will fill that need, although I doubt he's at the level of Dembele or Edouard who were our strikers during BR's first spell.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2024
    Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  4. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

That’s 3 games on the bounce that have been terrible. He can’t surely keep trying whatever he’s trying.

The_Bhoy, bhroom and Sgt Neppers* like this.
  5. theweeman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Murdoch
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the Old Brigade
    You're right about one thing - its a controversial opinion

The_Bhoy likes this.
  6. theweeman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Murdoch
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the Old Brigade
    He has better players first time round: Rogic, KT, Moose, Brown, Sinclair, Edouard. But don't get dewy eyed about the football played then, the last year he was here it wasn't up to much....

7. Pearse67*

No amount of chest bumping fixes this, tactics are mingin

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  8. themouth1888

If he does go then realistically who would want to take over?

Sell 20mil to spend 3mil. Unbelievable pressure to win every single game despite every chance year after year you're * into the wind.

Until a new board come in we are not an attractive prospect.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2024
  9. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Maybe another J-League manager or even K-League. They operate on budgets smaller than ours.

10. sabzz1888

Needs to take his entire football philosophy and scrap it.

Guy is a dinosaur and is trying to put round pegs into square holes, both him and the team along with the tactics need changed to suit the players we have and their strengths.

I want him gone but you just know the board are keeping him there as a first line of defence when the s*** hits the fan.

11. horseshoe

Sorry but him never being in a title race here last time wasn't because he's just too good, the huns were too * to put up a challenge, they were struggling to finish second when he arrived and that can't be ignored. We won the league with 82 points his second season, that isn't good enough to beat them anymore.

12. ladbroke8

We spent 22m this season

13. PaddyJamieson

This the crux of it. And because we're struggling to create and score we look vulnerable every single game. * *.

14. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    There’s no getting away from the fact at the moment we are *. We don’t look like scoring and we look like conceding when other teams get into our third, all the marks of a poor team.

I’m not confident we’ll win the league at the moment. The win agains the Huns before the break gave me hope but we followed it up with a poor January window.

I’m feeling almost apathetic about the situation at this point. I’m not sure what the point of getting Rodgers back was if we weren’t willing to give him money to push this team on, and if we get rid of him I struggle to see a huge improvement.

15. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He won an invincible treble and 3 trebles in a row, please don’t try and downplay that achievement. It’s an historic one, by any yard stick.

If anything all this season has done is highlight how relentlessly excellent we were during that period, 1 single slip up was all it would have taken to lose a cup game or a pivotal game against the knuckle draggers, he won every single one of them.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  16. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

We've got trips away to Fir Park, Tynecastle and that plastic pitch at Livingston before we play them again. Their toughest away game is Kilmarnock.

It's down to us to show some consistency but with us creating so few chances from open play, players off-form and key players out injured it's hard to see us not dropping more than them before that game at Ibrox in April.

17. Slaw

One game at a time man. We just need to keep winning and hopefully they blink first.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  18. Sween

In 2021 he beat Chelsea to win the FA Cup and Man City to win the charity shield, not to mention what he did with celtic and Liverpool previously. There is nothing to suggest his tactics of 2021 are so outdated he is now a dinosaur. And we have to be realistic that whoever we replace him with will not have the pedigree or experience that he does.

Not defending how awful we look at the minute but managers don't become useless overnight.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  19. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Jon Dahl Tomasson just quit Blackburn. Bring him home.

[​IMG]

20. horseshoe

I'm not questioning the historical significance of the trebles, but you're rewriting history a bit here, in the league we were far from 'relentlessly excellent', after the invincible season our form in the league was very similar to what we're seeing now, lots of dire side to side stuff and bore draws dropping points all over. Just saying HE WON TREBLES is ignoring the football that was actually on display for a large chunk of his time in charge, we don't win the league now with his second and third season form.

We could get away with it then because they were so far off it the league was basically a free hit, he doesn't have that luxury anymore, and pretending that wasn't the case does nobody any favours.

Lewis Kerr and NakamuraTastic like this.