1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    If we had really good players that could play the system then maybe it could work, eventually wear teams down but the fact is we don't.. the players he has currently at his disposal are not good enough to do that.

Again last night there was at least 4 players that are not, never were and never will be good enough for Celtic or a Rodgers system. He needs to adapt a system thats suitable for the players we have and he won't, still have Huns favourites for the league if these performances keep up

Wee Baldy and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  2. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    The board are going to blow £50m...idiots

theweeman likes this.
  3. cfcturbo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thomas burns
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Skibereen by wolfe tones
    Iraola is a bit of a * anyway

4. ladbroke8

There's just nothing exciting about him or the way his teams play football. This is the second title challenge in his career and he blew the first one at Liverpool.

Scoring 4 in 3 games, 2 pens 2 deflections. Scraping 7pts from 9. This is actually outperforming his average in the last 72 league games at Celtic. So this is as good as it gets

I just don't like him if I'm honest. Dont like his arrogance, his style of football, the way he was away down the road in 2019, the way it's never his fault.

He's beat Bread Man, caravan canine chaser and Murty and that's about it.

For those saying the 22m spent this season were not his players then just go back and see Hendry, Schved, Bayo, Morgan, Gutman, Compper and so on cant all be someone else's fault. Always the victim of the window.

I would have settled for the bag of cans on its own

5. belbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley...the shebeen version
    Team has regressed something shocking

bhroom and craigtheceltic like this.
  6. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He’s never been in a title race in Scotland because he’s been too good, particularly in games against them. It would take a very warped mind to make that a slight on him.

Random Review likes this.
  7. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

It absolutely will be. They’ll drop points, hopefully we won’t but it’s a distinct possibility - we will be within the 6 points those 2 games will be played for.

Random Review likes this.
  8. Sgt Neppers*

Shocking stats. Looking for Scales and Welsh to create...

craigtheceltic likes this.
  9. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Solution: punt the ball over the defense or onto Idah. Of course possession numbers won't look nice, but chances will be created.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  10. Sween

I feel like while the board have let the club down terribly and the level of player we currently have is not at a level we expect of Celtic, we nevertheless are playing teams that are a level off our worse players. Bernabei, holm, tilio, vata, lagerbielke, would all be playing for every team in the SPFL besides Rangers. Any one of our starting 11 would be a star man for most of these teams.

So while we can rightly moan about not spending to compete in Europe, Rodgers should still be able to get a squad like ours organized and motivated enough that we wipe the floor with teams like St Johnstone, Motherwell amd Ross county at home, and barring the odd slip up that we comfortable navigate most away games. But we aren't even doing that. That is a pretty low benchmark that he isn't reaching.

The problem we have created now is that we have wasted the transfer window so losing Rodgers now if he was to lose a few games on the bounce would be terrible timing. We would be back to short term manager punts to try and bring someone in to rally the troops but with no direction going forward. And no manager of similar pedigree to Rodgers will touch the job while we have this board in charge.

I think the absolute best we can hope for is that we dig in and grind out every result to the end of season, win the league in the narrowest of fashions, and figure out a better plan in the summer when there's a decent chance Rodgers will want to do in any case.

bhroom likes this.
  11. Twisty Champions Again !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Turned one of the most exciting teams we've ever had into one of the most boring. What a feat.

Lewis Kerr, Moustache, JML67 and 7 others like this.
  12. Paradise_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Not going to lie some of the football is terrible to watch. But what it highlights for me is how limited technically a lot of the signings Ange brought in are and the recruitment team no versatility no real great technical ability just good at one thing that suited a particular style of football.

where Rodgers has traditionally worked with technically good footballers which means you can be more flexible and adapt more to a style of play this is just my take from the outside looking in on the situation

The_Bhoy likes this.
  13. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    The problem is we have signed 9 players and how many of them look technically good.

14. Belgian_lad

Or have a cm fall back and help out the defence. It creates space in midfield too. What happens now is everyone hides on the midfield and lets the defence sort the passing/opening up out. No movement whatsoever. Its pathetic. So easy to defend for opposition. And Scales/Welsh/… should be nowhere near our starting lineup.

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  15. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    That CM would be McGregor, and he's too good of a shooter to waste in build-up. Speed and brute force are what good attack needs.

16. Paradise_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Bernardo looks technically good could argue a couple of others which makes my point even more our recruitment team aren’t identifying players that are of a good technical quality

17. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    A controversial opinion…..but I actually think if rodgers does go at the end of this season Kennedy will be the perfect appointment. The players all appreciate the work he has done so far and talk highly of him.
    But the main thing; he’s seen over his time here the styles of managers that do and don’t work and can take from those the best aspects of each.
    It would of course be a risk like any new manager is, but might be the new lease of life we need.

however this all only works if our player scouting is spot on and the manager agrees to using the players he’s provided. Or at least working well with them to also give his own achievable targets.
    Which this is where rodgers and the board don’t work right now.

bhroom likes this.
  18. Sentinel

He looked genuinely checked out not long after their equaliser. Slight smirk on his face and a realisation that he's getting emptied soon. I've not been too for or against his reappointment - probably more against as coming back rarely works and I feel he is a DD appointment once again.

These last few weeks however. The terrible football and complete unwillingness to change it up. It's disgusting that it's come to this.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  19. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Kennedy's problem I don't thinknis his knowledge, more his lack of character. I don't think he's suited to being the main man. He'd need a good team of coaches around him and a DoF above him I think.

Tim-Time 1888 and The_Bhoy like this.
  20. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Which I think is the perfect system in modern football and one we should be striving towards… say Kennedy worked and he left after a few years. The system is there to just replace the face of it, but the overall workings are there for continuation

Double Dutch likes this.