1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    To be honest, I think he'll be in charge next season if we win the league, but I could very easily see him walk.

If he wins the league, and only the league, it won't be too damaging to teams down south. The likes of Bournemouth, West Ham and Crystal Palace could all take a punt on him.

However, if he stays another season and loses the league, that would damage his reputation, and I don't think he'd allow that.

Next to no chance he leaves this season, and I think he'll stay on if we do win the league, but him walking isn't too much of a distinct possibility.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  2. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    His style reminds me of Van Bronckhorst at the Huns.

I remember the biggest issue they had with him was the respect he gave other sides in the league whereas they looked across at us and saw Ange doing the exact opposite.

Very slow and ponderous stuff which is easy to nullify.

Difference is they were playing with 2 natural CDMs still most of the time whereas Rodgers is playing with midfielders who can all comfortably attack and still we look to lack ideas.

The squad overall really lacks a creative no10 type.

3. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    I don't want to compare to Angeball because it's not helpful, but * me sideways, what a downgrade.

In 90% of the games domestically under Ange, home or away, we suffocated the opposition to the point where they could barely get out of their own half. Compare that to this season, where SPL dross are playing entire halves of football on even terms with us, trading chances and putting themselves in a position to draw or even win games.

4. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Angeball is sadly just a passing memory now

5. Jo-Jo-Buffon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    walk alone on a champs league night
    Will.never happen but once Hatate is back would like to see a 4-4-2 with a diamond

6. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He got off the hook tonight and it feels like he’s constantly scrambling for solutions this season in game. However, he’s been there done that and all we can do is rely on him to get us over the line now.

The 2 hun games will be pivotal in deciding the league, I’m more than happy he’ll be leading us into both those games with his record.

Crilly and Guchi Gucci like this.
  7. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

We dont have the full backs to play like this for me.

8. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Nope or a 3-5-2 either as is often suggested by people.

martin_d and Zander like this.
  9. Melb Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Personally think we need a 6-6-4 formation to guarantee the result!

The_Bhoy, murphy88 and NakamuraTastic like this.
  10. Lewis Kerr

Has he though? He's never been in a title race in Scotland.

Bottled the league with Liverpool and bottled 4th place (twice) with Leicester though.

I don't trust him to get it over the line at all.

11. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

The way we're playing I'm not even even convinced any more that this is the case.

Twisty and martin_d like this.
  12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    We look all over the place under him x

13. Slaw

I might be well off the mark but I think Maeda would make a good wing back. Shades of Agathe? Granted, I’m too young to really remember him

14. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    He effectively won three treble in a row against all of them but for some reason couldn’t win at the Easter Broad place with far better squads

It’s an overall positive tonight

Last edited: Feb 8, 2024
  15. Sgt Neppers*

I suggested the 352. More as a try something different. Madness to keep doing the same thing, when it's not really working.

Maeda could do it, but nobody for the right. Don't fancy 3 slow CB either.

The balance of the team is wrong. GK needs addressed badly as does LB. CB has been Scales plus whoever is fit. AJ miles off it this season. And out current 3 in the middle are very 1 dimensional. Desperately need a fit Reo in there. Wingers are completely off it as well. Their chance creation opposed last season is appalling and Kyogo is a shadow of himself.

All very messy. 352 isn't the answer. But neither is what we're doing now. Really think Iwata would give better balance currently than what we have.

Needs addressed pronto though whatever as it's barely working.

16. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Agreed mate xo

Mr Shelby likes this.
  17. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Brutal football.

Looking at last years corresponding game, we won 4-0 at Easter Road with 20 shots to 6 and 70% possession.

This year we have 67% possession and we win 2-1 with both goals as penalties, 8 shots to their 12 ( yes we had less shots and effectively that’s 6-12 if you minus our penalties). 6 shots from open play in 90 minutes plus stoppage time!

If we break that down, in 60 minutes of possession we’ve popped off 6 shots… 1 every 10 minutes! Hibs had the ball for 30 minutes and had 12 shots… a shot every 2.5 minutes they had the ball.

Pretty * dreadful is all I can say about that.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  18. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    This.

When his appointment was imminent, too many fans were gobbling down the memberberries.

His first season we were fantastic, second was poor, and his last go around was unbelievably dire.

This is a stronger Sevco than he's had to face , albeit still *, but and we're struggling to beat manager less Aberdeen and dire Hibs sides.

As another member referenced, 67 percent possession and ONE, yes ONE SOLITARY shot on target, if you exclude the 2 penalties.

That's a stackable * stat imo. Any Celtic manager, with any Celtic side, producing stats like that in Scotland should be binned.

We were only flagged offside once too! Once! * is this idiot watching that he's persisting with this?

I can't believe there's still some fans defending him, as well as others thinking we're winning this title.

Again, the board and Desmond have shafted him, but with the players at his disposal, the opposition in Scotland should still be a formality.

He's got to go.

I'm sure the board can afford to pay his severance with the savings from 2 non windows.

Hasenhutll, Garcia, March, Glasner, Lopetegui, Favre, Villa-Boas.... Scores of managers unemployed right now. Throw one of them 2m to see out the season, with 5m bonus for the title, and start the succession search NOW to get ready for next season, league champions or not.

19. Lewis Kerr

Hibs lost 0-3 to St Mirren at home the other day as well, with St Mirren having more shots and more shots on target than we did.

We were hanging on against Ross County a few weeks ago who just got pumped 5-0 off Motherwell last night.

When you look at other team's results against the * we continuously struggle against, it puts the "players aren't good enough" argument to bed. It was never really valid to begin with, we're playing in one of the worst top leagues in the world. But that's three games now in the league since the break where we've been abysmal and been lucky not to lose.

As you said, it's unbelievable that some have been/continue to defend him.

20. Slaw

Naw we’re not