1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. James Gold Member Gold Member

He spoke all week about tempo and speed of passing and it was still miles off it. We got away with one tonight but we have been dross for the majority of the season tonight has to count for something we need to look much better at the weekend off the back of that tonight

2. Lewis Kerr

It really isn't.

You're living in fantasy land if you don't see the problems in this side.

This current iteration of Rodgers is garbage, much like his football. We have no redeeming features or qualities anywhere on the park.

We're only top because Michael Beale started the season managing Rangers. We shouldn't be in a title race. We should be out of sight.

We've been extremely lucky in so many games this season, today more than any. It's nowhere near good enough and that's on Rodgers.

We won't replace him, but a brave, well functioning club would. Regardless, whatever happens this year, I'd be devastated if he started next season as our manager. His football sucks the life out of you.

NakamuraTastic and Wee Baldy like this.
  3. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

He's going to be a huge part of us going from being a treble winning team, to a team that's most likely going to win nothing.

Half expecting us to get knocked out by St Mirren at the weekend.

mayo and DonnyCelt like this.
  4. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc
    The problem is, we have seen the team scrapping wins and what happens if you do that long term in the covid season. If the performances would be more promissing no one would call for Rodgers head but if the performances are repeatetly dire and sooner than later you lose points if you play like that. So why wait till we lose more points? Atm there is more evidence that we'll lose more points than promissing signs for us to perform better in the next games. Rodgers would have to chance his tactics massively and I don't think he has the modest enough ego to do that.

But you can also question Lawwell's ability to find a more suiting manager to save the league. So it might not even matter if Rodgers stays or not.

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  5. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    That’s just demonstrably untrue.

There seems to be a great deal of revisionism with regards to the Aberdeen game. We were all over them and missed a boat load of chances. Second half, we were equal. We could, and should have won that game.

Tonight was extremely poor. Hibs had a couple of big chances and so did we. We got the luck we needed.

6. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Bit of context required.

We're top at the moment because the huns have a game in hand on us. We'll be second on goal difference after next week because they'll batter County.

This is in a season where the huns have sacked a manager. Look at the points tally of the last 15 games. We're behind Hearts for * sake.

If he sees out this season, he needs to go in the summer.

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  7. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    "I made changes, offensive changes in the game, to win the game, and thankfully they paid off for us"
    - Brendan Rodgers​

He actually said that. Those words out of his mouth in regards to tonight's game. I had to replay his post match interview on BBC radio, 4 or 5 times there to make sure I got the quote 100%. What in the actual...?

PaddyJamieson likes this.
  8. Twisty Champions Again !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Just scunnered with it. Imagine feeling that way after the manner we won that game.

He's taken all the fun out of our football. Been wanting him gone since August. It's been so obvious from the start that it wasn't going to work.

9. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I do see the problems. I’ve never once said there isn’t problems.

I just think calling for a manager to be sacked because you don’t like the style of football, while we are still top.. it’s never going to happen.

The performances are worrying but if you can find me a football club in world football who has sacked a manager halfway through their season, while they’re top of their league because fans don’t like the style of football, I’d be astounded.

No football club is sacking a manager in that position and it’s ridiculous to suggest so.

10. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Be a bonus if we do, less games to sit raging bored out your *.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  11. John Bhoy79 Stop the world I want to get off!

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    He can't even seem to get the team doing the basics right yet alone implement major tactical changes or turn a performance around mid-game. What played a big part in the success of his 1st season here before was the confidence and feel-good factor that came from his arrival. He was a big-name, successful coach from the best league in the world and it gave the players and supporters a huge boost. The effect was much less this time and no-one now looks on board. The players, fans or even BR himself. I shudder to think who this board would ever get to replace him though.

12. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I think that's actually true to be fair; but it's not enough. Did he say why we were so poor in the first place?

13. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I don’t think he will be at the helm at the start of the season and I think that would be the correct call for both parties.

I don’t think it changes much, to be honest. Regardless of the manager. We might play high, heavy metal football like we did under Ange but we don’t have the players who are good enough to do that.

Ange did but I’d be astounded if we find another manager like him.

14. CountyDownFaithful

Can we reignite the Brendan Fraudgers thread.

15. Lewis Kerr

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-their-teams-were-top-of-the-league-knowledge

Plenty of managers have been sacked with a far bigger "lead" than ours.

JML67 likes this.
  16. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I'm in the camp now that he isn't gonna turn this around. In terms of the style anyway.

I think if we sack him or he was to walk this board don't have the vision or the proactiveness to secure the right appointment in such a tight amount of time and with so much pressure on it.

It would be Kennedy till the end of the season. And for that reason I'd rather we just somehow try and see this out.

I'll say it till I'm blue in the face but if he goes now or in the summer, that's only part of the issue. I don't have a single ounce of trust in those in charge to get the right person in charge

17. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

* transfer window(s) or not, this guy is taking us backwards.

18. apevrak

Even David Brent would blush from that quote.

Moustache, Taz and Sgt Neppers* like this.
  19. henriks tongue

Listening to post match interviews tonight, never heard BR sound so nervous and disjointed talking - he's clearly rattled.
    Good too see a bit of passion in the celebration tho.
    Hopefully he can turn it into passion and energy on the pitch.

20. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    We'd essentially be hoping that the board get lucky again like they did with Ange.

I know he went to China, but it wouldn't shock me if we go for Muscat when Rodgers leaves, either that or they give it to Kennedy.

Ideally we scout a proper replacement, but we won't.

Sgt Neppers* and Mr Shelby like this.