1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. oh bhoy

i can mind that * rodgers saying that how ange played was very similar to how he set his teams up and would only be making a couple of tweaks, the difference is like night and day .he needs to change it up right away whatever the * he thinks knocking the ball backways and sideways is achieving its not. its * shocking that our last 4 pts have been gained from 2 deflected shots ,nowhere near good enough in the final 3rd and its been like that all this season

2. PaddyJamieson

Just get him to * at the end of the season. We're obviously not gonna bin him now but I'll be absolutely spewing if he's still here come kick off next season.

MagicBallBhoy and johnfife1959 like this.
  3. Lecs

As a few of the guys have mentioned, our board are a * disgrace.

I defended Brendan Rodgers for as far as our European campaign is concerned, signing guys from the second division in South Korean football is hardly going to get us a 3rd place in the champions league group stage.

European football aside, I can't defend Brendan Rodgers one iota. He is paid around 80 grand per week to manage us. He can't seem to figure out how to break down St Johnstones, Motherwells, Kilmarnocks. Yeah, our squad is pretty * compared to seasons gone by, but this is why he's paid so much money, to figure it out.

He and his backroom staff get paid a * fortune to optomise what we have. If Kyogo, our talisman who scored 34 goals last season isn't getting service, that is a Brendan Rodgers problem. We're halfway through the season and he hasn't * came up with any answers.

Get him to *.

4. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    It's tough to argue with any of that.

bhroom and Lecs like this.
  5. Thomas67Kearno

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Out of Europe, knocked out league cup by Killie, already dropped points to St Johnstone, Hibs, Motherwell, Kilmarnock, Hearts, Aberdeen. Transfer window disaster. Our football is boring as *.

What exactly is the point in him at the club? Tony Mowbray was sacked for less.

Sgt Neppers*, Lecs, Morcombe and 7 others like this.
  6. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    I think everyone needs a break from this forum.

7. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc
    Well said, if we at least would win I could somehow get over it but now we don't even get the results.

Iraola, the guy that later took over Bournemouth had Rayo Vallecano play in a similar style to Ange. But we went for the lazy option and I guess that's better than ruining a manager like Iraola through our useless recruitment.

Mystic Penguin likes this.
  8. James Mc

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    So many of our players have regressed under this *, elite manager that gets the best out of players my *. O'Reilly and Scales aye but looks at the rest of them compared to how they were under Ange.

Lecs and johnfife1959 like this.
  9. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Brendan Rodgers says that the Celtic players cannot allow supporter discontent with the club’s board to distract them from their title bid, after the champions spilled points against Aberdeen at Pittodrie.

The travelling support unveiled a banner and repeatedly chanted criticism of the Celtic board both before and after the 1-1 draw, with their anger sparked by the lack of signings during the January transfer window.

One of the two new players, Nick Kuhn, did score after coming off the bench, hitting the equaliser after being teed up by fellow new arrival Adam Idah.

The fans nevertheless made their feelings clear throughout the afternoon, and Rodgers says that his men can’t have their focus affected by what is going on in the stands.

“I can only concentrate on the players and what we do on the field,” Rodgers said.

“You always find that winning games and playing well can ease those situations and that’s what we aim to do.

“Supporters pay their money and have every right to say what they want to say.

“But for us, we can only control what we do on the pitch. If we do that we’ll be OK.

“The key thing is not allowing it to become a distraction for us. That’s really important. Whatever goes on outside, you have to be able to deal with it.

“At a club like Celtic, at the biggest clubs, there will always be that pressure there. I don’t need to add any more on to the players. They understand that playing for Celtic brings that.

“My job is to give them the confidence to find the results we need.

“There’s still a long way to go.”

Dylan1996 likes this.
  10. James Mc

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Someone needs to tell the * Tiki Taka doesn't work anymore

oh bhoy, johnfife1959 and Morcombe like this.
  11. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/ Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    I have a feeling something is going to be announced tomorrow or Monday.

12. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Doubt it

johnfife1959 and bhroom like this.
  13. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    As someone rightly said a few pages back, Ange is all about ball pressure. Rodgers is all about ball possession.

Concerning the the two, it's ball preasurre that constantly fed Kyogo. And Rodgers' boring a * ball possession that has seen Kyogo languish, drift backwards, and trying to get involved to no avail.

This "style" of play, as @James Mc says, has seen the likes of MoR flourish. Whilst the rest of the entire squad has regressed into absolute *.

As a professional manager, if he can't see that, he's not fit for purpose. A * monkey can see his possession based football is NOT working with this squad.

There's only 2 cures for this ill. Recruit the players to play your system. Or switch it up. He's done neither.

In fact, he's woefully ignored both. Defended two utterly disgraceful transfer windows, and persisting with this pish "system".

Right now you can see he's blaming the players in his head. In his head, going by his comments, the game should've been put to bed in the first half, and then the players didn't come out second half.
    True enough.

But it's his * job to mitigate that. His * job to make appropriate tactical tweaks and subs. His * job to understand that he doesn't have the time to wait for it to click. Not anymore. Times * up. The league is being won or lost... right * now.

Not according to Rodgers though. We haven't handed Sevco anything apparently. But he's doing his best. And we, yes WE, should be careful who we blame. Once again, putting the boot into fans.

I was disgusted he was appointed. Now I'm just heartbroken.

Mr. Slippyfist, Lecs and johnfife1959 like this.
  14. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Tell him to * off back to the scousers, then we could get drawn against them in Europe and knock them out

johnfife1959 likes this.
  15. JamesM09

Talking about blaming players..

The one that gets me is he said 2 or 3 games in a row before the break that Callum McGregor was doing the job of multiple midfielders, implying others weren't doing their jobs.

There's just so much wrong with him saying that. It's like a weird 'divide the players' thing to say. Like pure favouritism for an 'old guard' player or trying to take a dig at certain players.

It's also * bizarre to make that type of complaint. He's the manager, he's the one picking the players. 6 months in he can't get them to do their basic jobs and the captain needs to run around doing it? You'd think he inherited some dysfunctional loser team the way he said it. They won a * treble Rodgers, what the * are you talking about?

And then when the window comes around he doesn't even look at it? Just signs a winger and a backup striker?

There's something definitely not right. He's not really 'here' in my opinion. He's doing some other job than managing the team. This is all so different from the first time round in terms of approach and attitude.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2024
  16. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

He should never have been reappointed in the first place. A lazy appointment from the board, again based solely on personal connections, completely lacking in vision and ruining everything Ange had built the previous two seasons. Continuity should have been the goal.

I’d much rather have taken a risk on someone like Maresca, but people were almost unanimously against taking any sort of risk and bizarrely for Rodgers instead, even when we knew his sides had played eye-gougingly boring football at the end of his last tenure.

17. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Regardless if he wins the league or not which I don't think we will(I have the huns as firm favourites)I want a new manager next season.

I honestly can't see myself tunning in much next season if he's still here, I doubt I'm alone either. I know we are seeing lots of posts saying "I'm done" "can't be arsed" "don't care" but its seriously getting that way.

Yes we all support Celtic but football is about entertainment too, lift ya after a * week in work or whatever, go out and have a few beers and hopefully watch Celtic put on a show..

Watching Celtic this season is an absolute * chor.. I mean its actually mind numbingly boring and brings zero * joy right now and that's on BR..

I'm invested this season now ha but if he's still here next season I'm not sure how many * will be given. Checking results might be it

18. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    There is the issue of Maresca having been the Lawwells' idea. I'm sure Leicester are a better run club than us, and that Maresca wouldn't do so well here.

johnfife1959 likes this.
  19. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

This.

He had his time, a * appointment. No matter what people think of Rodgers overall career, he's on a downward trajectory.

Lecs and johnfife1959 like this.
  20. Bangarangura

There's no doubt about it. Regardless of the board, Rodgers should be doing better. Ange had the team playing better with Dane Murray , uroghide and Montgomery playing. Watching back highlights of the last couple seasons, and even watching highlights of other games has reminded me how football should be played. Rodgers style is ponderous and not suited to us.