1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. wulliebad

Maybe the board didnt want him back after the first time round but DD put his footdown and the lack of players is their way to fight back.
    But i still think the money is being held back for some reason,its maybe getting spent some place else or going to be spent by different manager in the summer. But its a huge gamble because that other club is getting their * together and if any of their signings are usefull we could be in trouble this season.

JC Anton likes this.
  2. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

If DD wanted him and the board didn't and are cutting their nose off to spite their face, then things are even worse than we all fear, if that's possible..

neilly1987 likes this.
  3. PaddyJamieson

I genuinely don't care about how Rodgers left the first time, from the moment he was linked my problem was his style of football, recruitment, and the toxic atmosphere that tends to come with him. Whether we fully blame the board or not, those three things have come to fruition. Results aren't the whole story. If, as you say, Maresca had us top under the same circumstances but had us playing the same football Rodgers has, I am certain people would be complaining just the same.

4. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Nail on the head.

murphy88 likes this.
  5. Mince.Charming

It would be funny if they get danny mcgrain to Sack him.

Tim-Time 1888 likes this.
  6. murphy88

There are plenty who just can’t get it over him leaving though. You can go back to the thread in the summer when we were discussing Ange’s replacement is needed. Some folk were carrying on like it was their ex.

There would be very little complaints as all the focus would be on the board and how much the new manager isn’t getting backed. You would have the odd complaint, but it would be nothing like it is the now with Rodgers. It was always going to be hard for Rodgers to change people’s opinions. Again you saw it with some on here. We all know he isn’t getting backed though, and the squad is diabolical. I think all things considering he has done well to have us top. Albeit the football has been stinking to watch I agree.

martin_d likes this.
  7. wulliebad

Its * strange indeed because even if we spent 30 million we would get that back and more next season in our CL mauling. Or are the board under instructions from DD not to spend.:fear:

8. wulliebad

Being honest i never wanted him back, mostly for what he done but its also his personality i find him cold and up his own *. But i accepted he was here and moved on with it all.

NomDePlum likes this.
  9. JamesM09

I go back and forward to be honest, but fundamentally it's difficult to judge a manager that hasn't been allowed to bring in his own players. To what extend that's his fault will always be a bit of a mystery.

One small subtlety I want to mention - while he escapes some blame for the football since he hasn't been allowed to bring his own in, it absolutely does not give him any right to sit there and lecture us about who we are booing, or what we should expect from transfer windows. You're allowed some leeway on that if you're producing good football, but while your output is dogshit keep your mouth shut with regard to the support, regardless of whether it's entirely your fault or not.

10. James Gold Member Gold Member

11. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Where does he actuality say he’s goes with supporters? He never said that.

From what i gather is we will keep just going in the £1-4m players in the hope 1/5 players we can double or triple our money spent on.

Think Julien, Barkas, Ajeti etc stopped us shopping in that bracket. Only willing too pay these fees if we have them on loan first (Eddy, Jota, CCV)

12. James Gold Member Gold Member

21 seconds in he literally says it word for word.

He's been flip flopping all season with his stance but now the window is closed you sense he is frustrated with our business but is trying not to fan the flames of division as it could all unravel very quickly if that was to be the case

13. JamesM09

I got the vibe he doesn't even care that much.

He's just positioning himself for what's coming if we struggle the second half of this season.

14. James Gold Member Gold Member

His use of the word "fix" as well so he thinks our recruitment model is broken. I think he pretty much thinks what we all do currently he just obviously can't say it the way we do

15. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Ah my bad.

James likes this.
  16. murphy88

I said this in one my group chats the other day. I don’t think he has the same drive as first time. Deep down I think he will know his race is run in England now, as it probably is. He had to leave Leicester after the second season to progress, but stayed too long.

I think him wanting to take a year out is probably accurate, but we have obviously said enough to him to get him back. There’s no way at the conversations he had with us over the summer though that he would have anticipated the two transfer windows that have then followed. I just can’t believe that. It wasn’t about money either I wouldn’t think as if it was he would have went to Saudi probably.

I think he is off in the summer, regardless of what happens.

JamesM09 likes this.
  17. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    * me, just back the guy....stop fuking moaning and get on with it.

He's not the problem.

martin_d likes this.
  18. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Brendan Rodgers has told Celtic fans he understands their transfer frustrations and admitted: 'We could've been a bit braver.'

Hoops fans have been left fuming by the club's business in the January window having only signed £3million winger Nicolas Kuhn from Rapid Vienna and Norwich City striker Adam Idah on loan. The champions failed to recruit a left-back which was made a priority by Rodgers and were left scrambling around the loan market in the final hours of the window.

Rodgers accepts the January window could have been better and wants the club to show more ambition moving forward. But the Parkhead boss refused to throw the under-fire recruitment team - headed by Mark Lawwell - under the bus and called for unity from the club's miffed fanbase.

He said: "You can't just purely label it on the recruitment team. The recruitment team clearly had a job to do like we all have a job to do. But this is a collective responsibility and what I would say is that I understand where we were at in the summer. I understand now having been here, the structure even more and where we're at. And yeah, I would go with supporters thinking we could maybe be a bit braver in terms of bringing in another level of player

But that's something that's up to me to try and fix that over the course of my time here. Listen, you look at the strategy here at the club and you have to be careful because in some ways it has worked. You bring in players for maybe a minimal fee and then they go out and make the club a lot of money. Okay.

"What I want to hopefully try and balance in my time here is that we can hopefully still do that, because that is an important part of the modern game - bringing in a player that has still growth left in him. But we always want to be brave enough to hang our hat on a player who's a ready-made player and someone that can come in.

Slaw likes this.
  19. leeso-ardoyne

Football is a big part of peoples lives and we invest so much emotions into it. Especially for a team like us where it's generational! What he done on us was * disgusting so stop trying to sugarcoating it like it was nothing! All he had to do was wait since something like 8 weeks I think it was, win another treble and walk away a club legend with everyone's well wishes! The * decided to do a mo Johnston on us and * all over our emotions for a very handsome signing on fee and great contract somewhere else. Yes there where a few issues with him and the board but ffs, 8 * weeks and walk away a legend. I actually know people who personally know him. It's all about Brendan, always has been and always will. I don't fall for all this * He's back for the fans . He's back to try and take that stain of his name. He let the mask slip last week when commenting on the fans after the riss county game. He's a *, always will be a * in my book. I can't wait till he gets to * away from our club. He showed his true colours when he walked out on us and last week with them comments. The sooner others realize this the better!

20. King Kwon Gold Member Gold Member

Is it fair to think he's not the problem but also think he's a problem? We should have a better squad for him to pick from but also he should be getting performances out of the squad that he has.