1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Slaw

You heard him promise to stay for 3 years and then bounce?

2. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    I think fans will always back the team (unless they visibly down tools) so hopefully they know that the noise of protest coming from the stands is directed solely towards the board

3. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Really resonates with me this. Everyone he saying Brendan should stand up to the board and kick off, blah blah blah. Simply doesn't work like that in the real world, you go to war with your director then you will lose and the operation will continue in the same direction that the director or directors choose to take it. Absolutely nobody below a director within a company will win a war with the directors, it just doesn't happen, clue is in the name, they direct the rest of the company.

I have no doubt Brendan is saying something similar to the fans in these meetings, we needs more quality, we need to cover x,y,z and the board are either telling him the same lie "we are working very hard on that and January is a tough window" or alternatively they are flat out saying, work with what you have. Either way, what's Brendan to do from there, threaten to kick them in? It would change nothing. I fully believe Brendan will walk at the end of the season, whether he leaves as a league winning manager again remains to be seen

BigDoggyWoofWoof and Mr Shelby like this.
  4. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    I would honestly have more respect for him if he * walks after this window and say I’ve been * over once again.

I was promised X,Y and Z it’s not happened this is the second time it’s happened and I will not standby and it gets worse.

But he won’t he will * sit there and talk utter *.

5. Slaw

Call me crazy but I would rather he stayed and won us the league

Shauny, Smithy, Random Review and 7 others like this.
  6. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    I think we all would but he will come out and just chat some utter bullshit about not the best time etc like a puppet.

I hope tae * he wins the league but look at all the points dropped, the chance we had to make sure they couldn’t come back and they have.

Aye he has their number in Derby games but he is dropping points against others which will cost us the league.

We are weaker coming out the window so it’s a massive gamble.

7. BigDoggyWoofWoof

The guy's a professional, he's not going to outright come out and say that the board are this and that. I think he will begin to let his displeasure be known, albeit more subtley. It was clear in his third season last time he wasn't happy with things behind the scenes. But it's never going to manifest in direct criticism of specific individuals. If he was going to do that, he'd have done it while the window was open and when it could actually make a difference. He's just got to tough it out now.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  8. TheHappyLoss

The football is a bit * and he’s not been backed remotely in the transfer market, but I think he will win the league. Be good to know the real story of the last two transfer windows.

9. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    What time is his presser ?

10. James Gold Member Gold Member

Prof you're better than that

'presser' jeezy peeps

murphy88, Random Review and The Prof like this.
  11. Slaw

Annoys me that people get annoyed at “presser”

want me to type out press conference? :giggle1:

johnboy19 and PaddyJamieson like this.
  12. James Gold Member Gold Member

Yes that is exactly what we want :giggle1:

Slaw and PaddyJamieson like this.
  13. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Mixed feelings about him at the moment TBH.

On the one hand, I don't think he gets enough credit for how he has kept us in this season TBH. If you had told me the day the summer window closed that this would be our team, that at times we'd be playing Forrest or Johnston as our wingers, that in addition CCV would miss a fair chunk of our season, Abada would miss nearly half the season and that Hatate would barely kick a ball for us all season and that the Huns would get their act together, get a good coach in and go on a long winning run, then frankly, I would have expected our season to be over by February.

The fact that we are somehow 2 points ahead and got 4 points (very unlucky not to get 5!) in our CL group and our first home win in a decade in spite of all that is something he deserves immense credit for. With a lesser manager, this season would be over already.

On the other hand, someone needs to call these windows out. I know that he doesn't have the political skill to do what Ange did; but all he has to do is refuse to answer questions about the window. Everone will know exactly what that means. But he won't, because he likes the sound of his own voice. His characteristic mix of waffle, BS and occasionally outright lies is really not helping and his unpopularity serves as a kind of shield for the board.

14. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Mon noo anyone know whit time his pressy wessy is at ?

15. murphy88

He walked away during the season after not being backed and some folk still haven’t gotten over it. But now folk want him to walk away for the exact same reason as they would have more respect for him. Doesn’t add up. He left because he wasn’t getting backed when he got another job offer, it didn’t make one bit of difference, and most of our supporters aimed their anger at Rodgers instead of the board. The same would happen this time if he left. We have too many in our support who have well and truly bought into the Lawwell way of thinking, that’s the problem. Acting as if it’s their own money, it’s pathetic. We’re football fans. We should want to see the best possible team on the park with the money we have available. We’re no getting that with this shower of * running us.

Slaw likes this.
  16. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Not that brazen, are you being serious here… this is the * that invented a conversation between himself and Danny Mcgrain purely to make himself look more important :99:

17. paulie walnuts Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    You really think he deserves more credit for the job he’s done so far this season?
    The hun game at Ibrox is the only time I’ve thought he’s come close to looking like a manager worth the salary we’re paying him.

Lewis Kerr, NomDePlum and Belgian_lad like this.
  18. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Yes, I do. Absolutely.

martin_d likes this.
  19. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Appointing a manager who's such a divisive figure in the first place was always going to be a risk, not much margin for error..

But, then not to back him in his first two windows..

I just can't get my head around it..

20. murphy88

See if we had appointed Maresca or whoever in the summer, and then they had to face the two transfer windows we have and they still had us top, I can guarantee there would be no anger towards the manager and it would all be on the board. It’s only because some people are never going to forgive Rodgers for him leaving first time. You seen it when he was getting linked in the summer with some folk.