1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. CountyDownFaithful

I've said it before but he's part of the problem.

The football he is serving up with the players at his disposal against opponents with a fraction of our budget is unacceptable.

First time around he was the right guy for the job. Something doesn't feel right this time.

The only way I see him gaining respect and trust from the support is if he comes out and explains what has went wrong with the transfer window.

Rodgers set the expectations of supporters when he (and backed up by CalMac) kept saying we needed quality and he wanted 3-4 signings ready to compete for first team.

There is no way going into this window that we planned to sign a third choice striker from Norwich on a 6 month loan.

All of this on the backdrop of us having £70m in the bank and being in a title race with our biggest rivals who have strengthened. Also, Rodgers came back under the pretense that he wanted to make us a force in Europe again - how does signing someone on a 6 month loan deal with no buy option prepare us for being more successful in Europe next year?!

We need answers.

I won't be surprised when it all goes * up and he leaves. He'll sign a NDA in exchange for a payout and we'll never know what's went on.

johnfife1959 likes this.
  2. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Bizarre that he would come back with no promises of a decent budget to renovate the team.

To be on record multiple times about the need for extra quality and be sitting with a Norwich reserve and Kuhn - who didn't come with a glowing report - should have alarm bells ringing.

We may just scrape by to another title win but it won't be down to our planning & ambition, it'll be in spite of the lack of it.

If he's been made promises and let down again, why would he stay beyond the summer?

McChiellini.., Slaw and Random Review like this.
  3. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

His previous success, as I gave him a lot of credit in him making such horrendous tactical changes and subs on purpose rather than he's suddenly became a rookie manager for a day.

4. murphy88

So was McGregor just saying it for the sake of it? Can he not be taken at face value when he says we need more quality? I mean, we as fans can all see it, so I think it’s fair to assume our club captain can also see it no?

Why are we carrying on like we are and putting the league at major risk then? Whey have we not addressed the goalkeeper and left back positions? Why have we not addressed the defensive midfield position? The board are undoubtedly causing division in the fanbase.

Why should he pack his bags and walk away for nothing? If he has been promised whatever and isn’t getting it, he is quite right to be staying put. He is quite right to make them pay him off.

I agree the football has been awful for a lot of the season, but the teams he has been forced to put out for a lot of the season has been equally as *. Guys who were miles out the picture having to start in Champions League games because our summer transfer window was a complete shambles, as is this one.

5. Darksel

The fact he talked so much about bringing in quality to not strengthen at all this window just tells me he is a yes man for the board.

6. Jeffrey

A think the money is there and he can’t identify players within our budget and who want to come here.

What’s changed since Ange? The manager

NomDePlum and Lewis Kerr like this.
  7. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Our last two transfer windows under Ange were also *. Mooy and Johnston were the only good players, and Johnston has severly regressed since the summer.

Rodgers isn't faultless, but the majority of the issues are with the board.

8. Mr. Slippyfist

Watch and listen to him praising Idah to the hilt...

Darksel likes this.
  9. Dalbeth3

Fav Celtic Player:
    to many greats to be able to pick one
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Who has had problems with the players ???

You can train to much which can give you a niggle and will put you out for a game or 2.

We should have enough players to cover the team.

10. CountyDownFaithful

Even
    Even if that was true, football clubs shouldn’t be reliant on managers to scout and identify players.

We got lucky with Ange. He came in with expert knowledge of an untapped market where we could get quality players for low fees.

It was great at the time but now he’s gone, it just proves we’ve done nothing to modernise the club behind the scenes and improve football operations.

Managers come and go and when that happens, we can’t start from square one every time.

We need a world class scouting team who create a production line of talent regardless of who the manager is.

Guchi Gucci likes this.
  11. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Probably he was trying something you or I can't see and on this occasion it didn't work.

12. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Did you watch the game I'm talking about?

13. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    No, I was working. The Reverend Bayes watched it for me.

14. murphy88

The scouts should be the people identifying players, with the manager then getting the final say on the options available. Going by the summer and this window, and a couple of windows before that under Ange, or scouts are bunch of useless *.

The other thing that’s changed since Ange…..Lawwell.

15. Big C

Ange bought lots, I mean lots of * players!!! I’d also say quite a few if the dross we got during the summer were well underway before that * got up and left. Fat Aussie *.

16. James Gold Member Gold Member

His next press conference could go either way he's tried to play all sides already this season so it will be interesting to see where is at now

17. cfc_kenny

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Neither has Turnbull. You get a light jog at best.

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  18. JamesM09

You know what I increasingly hate about this *. The way he waffles absolute * during his interviews.

I honestly wish he would just shut the * up.

Sitting there talking irrelevant * about squads being refreshed every three years and how he doesn't just rely on statistics.

What the actual * are you talking about? We want to know why we're not bringing in quality players despite making record profits and selling our best players.

He arrogantly sit there as if he's not serving up dogshit, boring football every week. You're part of the problem you *, not the * white knight generously defending the board.

19. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
  20. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Rodgers defends loan signings as Celtic reality hits home

For many Celtic fans, putting forward any sort of justification of their club’s transfer business this January amounts to defending the indefensible.

The late loan signing of Adam Idah from Norwich City – without an option to buy should he buck expectations and do well in Glasgow – has simply fuelled the notion that the window has not gone to plan, supposing there was a plan at all.

Manager Brendan Rodgers, given his own openness about his desire for at least four quality additions in the winter window, would perhaps be the last man you would expect to amount a public defence of such short-term thinking.

But he appears to have developed a degree of realism in recent days, something it could be argued has been browbeaten into him by the disappointments of his two transfer windows since returning to Celtic

Or maybe it was simply dawning on Rodgers that loan signings were the best that could be hoped for with the days steadily ticking by, and so he was preparing the ground for that both in his own mind, and in those of the supporters.

“Ideally you want to have players who you know are going to be here for a few seasons to grow and develop,” Rodgers said.

“But there always has to be a balance between both between loan players and permanent signings. Permanent signings aren’t always possible.

“Having had the experience here before there’s always going to be that revolving door.

“You’ll always have that core of players who you want to keep here but if you look at the movement of squads here over two-to-three-year periods, that’s always going to happen. In the modern game you have to be able to adapt to that.

“It’s not like the old days when you went ‘right, that’s the squad and we’ll keep them together for five or six years’.

“One, that doesn’t work anyway. You have to recycle your squad every three years. You have to. Even if it was a team that had won three Trebles – on that fourth year you would want to change it because of the hunger. That’s what experience tells us.

“There will always be that and that’s okay. It’s just about getting good players in.”

Whether Celtic have managed to get good players in this January in the shape of Idah and Nick Kuhn, remains to be seen. How they arrived at those targets, is a widespread point of conjecture.

Rodgers attempted to shed some light on the recruitment process as it currently stands at Celtic, outlining that while he leans on the data provided to him by his recruitment and scouting teams, he likes to have had his own eyes on a player to ensure they are cut out to handle playing for his club.

“Listen, there will be certain clubs who will only look at that side of it [analysis],” he said.

“But there are things that you can never find out through analysis other than by being at a stadium, watching the player and seeing what their movement is like, seeing how he deals the with atmosphere.

“I always say, the analytical side doesn’t tell you if someone has a heart and personality. When you play for a club like this one, you need to have a heart and the mental strength. You have to find out those things and see them live.

“Obviously statistics will give you a lot, but I’m not driven by it. It’s something which is a really good support for us.”

Just as important to Rodgers is the opportunity to speak to potential recruits face-to-face before bringing them to Celtic, something he always tries to do before making that final commitment to add them to his squad.

For one, he wouldn’t want to risk upsetting the harmony in his squad by introducing a personality who was not a good fit, but he is also a firm believer in looking into a player’s eyes to see for himself if he has the hunger and the desire to succeed at such a big club.

“Yes, just to feel their own ambition,” he said.

“I think it’s very important. If players are coming to a club and the agent or the player don’t want to speak to the manager or don’t deem it as important, then that’s a red flag for me.

“But that’s very rarely been the case. For me, I’d always want to speak with a player and find a way to do that so you understand their ambitions and what it is they want to achieve as well as what we can give them.

“Because it is about mentality. You have to try and get as much understanding of that mentality as you can.

“Have I backed away from some? Yes. There’s probably some I wish I had done so with as well!

“There are plenty who talk a good game.”