1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    He's had some luck with injuries this season.

Hatate and CCV not had a consistent run all year.

TheHappyLoss and Random Review like this.
  2. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    What evidence are you using to insist on ridiculous, unprofessional and self-destructive decisions rather than mistakes?

3. TheHappyLoss

High profile manager takes a job at a club where he left under a cloud. Club is as cash rich as it’s ever been. Think we all thought he was back coz we were going to push the boat out big style. It’s been the opposite, we are weaker after two transfer windows. His decision to come back makes no sense.

eire4 likes this.
  4. honda Gold Member Gold Member

It's such a shambles it could actually be his fault. He wants such a high qaulity player that they are already unreachable for us. They have offers elsewhere. Then he's refusing second options. Can be the only way to explain how we're not getting flooded with cheap January punts to appease the fan base.

5. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    It really doesn't make sense at all and quite frankly the board/Desmond and the ultra conservative approach with constant project signings strict salary ceilings which has stopped us from making any impact in Europe has taken us from a position where at the end of last season we were poised it seems to make a step forward and change our structure/approach to the mess we are in now and really to the brink of this season imploding. Instead we have doubled down on the approach which has after establishing a good foundation for the club overall has long long since out lasted its usefulness and has been holding us back for years and now could well cause a major implosion.
    Would not shock me at all if Brandan Rodgers resigned in the next day or so.

TheHappyLoss likes this.
  6. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Don't have an issue with him wanting a higher quality of player, I also don't think he's asking for something that is so astronomically out of our reach either. Its what we are all wanting.

Would be extremely unfair to lay this entirely at his door. When we all know the shambles above him and they've got previous.

The issue for years has been that we have been too quick to accept 3rd or 4th options, in some cases it's better not to accept those kinda deals and sign noone as it leads again to a bloated squad and we will take years to shift the *.

Alao the fact we are signing Idah kinda shows that he is eventually just accepting run of the mill pish because he probably has to now.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2024
    Random Review and eire4 like this.
  7. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    We're the communist football club.

rkid likes this.
  8. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    Rodgers is too soft....big fukin Jessie.

9. celtic warrior

There is no way Rodgers didn't see this coming, his ego would not allow him to take such risks with his dwindling reputation as a manager... because if he's still here next season after it has been made clear that he isn't getting back. It will be his name attached to a Celtic side losing a league title next season.

TheHappyLoss likes this.
  10. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Peter Lawell would be grinning at this comment standing on his heated driveway.

11. themouth1888

This could be true actually but surely he was well aware of his limitations with fees and wages? Otherwise why take the job

12. murphy88

What about when your club captain asks for quality as well?

If he isn’t getting what he was promised before signing, and I suspect he isn’t, he is quite right to hang around for a pay off if that’s indeed what he does.

13. Sgt Neppers*

He'll be walking away again. He was correct the first time, He'll be correct this time as well.

14. murphy88

When you are spending a million here and there on players, what are you expecting really? He also wanted a number of players we didn’t get who have went on to do well. Castagne and McGinn to name a couple. Instead we got Toljan and Mulumbu.

15. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    It's worth looking at what Rodgers has actually achieved here this season, because I genuinely believe that with a lesser manager, we'd be in even bigger trouble. I want to highlight 2 things: backing in a first season and points per league game.

First PPG compared to the previous 18 seasons since MON* left: currently, it's 2.5. That is better than 14 of the previous 18 seasons. Only Ange's second season (2.6), Lenny's treble season (2.67), Rodgers' invincible season (2.8) and Lenny's 13/14 season (2.6) score higher. Objectively, he's doing OK. He's finding ways to win games he has no right to win, such as at Ibrox.

Second, the lack of backing. Every manager almost always gets backed in their first season to some extent to build a team their way... until now. Interestingly, I did manage to find one single season where a new manager was backed so badly and it was Mowbray and we all know what happened there.

Strachan got Naka, Boruc, Zurawski and others in his first season.
    Mowbray got the same treatment as Rodgers is getting this year.
    Lenny 1.0 got Hooper, Forster, Izaguirre, Commons, Kayal, Ledley, Mulgrew.
    Ronny got Armstrong, Gordon, Berget and loans for Denayer and Guidetti (yes, I know Berget was crap; but Ronny wanted him and the board went and got him)
    Rodgers 1.0 got 2 cracking players in Dembele and Sinclair, also De Vries, Toure (yes, I know De Vries was crap. See Berget above)
    Lenny 2.0 got Julien, Frimpong, Forster on loan, Elhamed, Elyounoussi.
    Ange got Kyogo, Starfelt, Abada, Jota on loan, CCV on loan, Hatate, O'Riley, Giakoumakis.

Even Ronny (who wasn't properly backed) was backed more than Rodgers has been this time. The only other time we've seen this level of hanging the manager out to dry was Mowbray. The parallels with Mowbray's season are uncanny in that our best outfield player left and we gave him FA.

It's absolutely scandalous. Add to that the fact that Hatate has hardly kicked a ball for us this season, Abada has missed a huge chunk of the season and CCV a fair number of games too and I think folk should lay off Rodgers. By all means hate on Rodgers for his lying and his BS; but put the blame for the current team where it belongs, because Rodgers' knowledge and ability is the only thing holding this **** show together.

* I'm not comparing MON's teams as we had a different model and much better players than subsequently.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2024
    Jeannie960 and Sween like this.
  16. oh bhoy

rodgers will probably let on he got exactly what he wanted like he did when we signed jack hendry and marvin compper

17. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Rodgers dosen't need the job he's a wealthy man, despite what happened at Leicester he would easily get a lower end EPL gig.

I think he came back to make it up to supporters, but as always in life there is a spanner in the works, namely big Peter who is still stinking the joint oot.

18. Lewis Kerr

McGregor isn't the manager or involved in any of our transfer business though. He's obviously just echoing what his manager is saying and by all accounts they have a decent relationship.

Narratives of false promises are pure conjecture, which to be honest I'm not sure I believe. Is Rodgers really that stupid and gullible to walk away from that meeting in Spain thinking he was going to spend millions? I don't think so. For arguments sake, lets presume they did lie and this is a conspiracy against Rodgers, why on earth would they do this? Why bring Rodgers back to * him over and potentially lose the league and divide the fanbase even more? Revenge for him leaving? Seriously?

And more importantly, if this were true, why isn't Rodgers calling it out or packing his bags? At least be honest to the fans, no? If your employers are royally * you over, have lied to you and are inhibiting your ability to perform well at your job, why are you backing them in press conferences to the detriment of the fanbase? The whole theory makes no sense and Rodgers' actions make even less sense if this was true.

We do need more quality, I'm not denying that. Although I do believe he should be getting us playing better football than he has done. But I'm also not having that none of this is Rodgers' fault, when problems in the transfer market seem to follow him everywhere he goes, every time. That isn't a coincidence.

19. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    His next presser should be a right hoot.

Slaw and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  20. seanm

Didnt want him back one bit.damage done already .HH