1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    He will go in the summer I reckon.

As has been said countless times, Desmond pushed for him, clearly made it his own mission to get him back. Handed him a massive contract.

Then doesn't back him sufficiently or at the very least appear to push others to help sort the structure od the club out. I don't get it.

We need more people at the club who are upto speed with modern football and can provide a hands on approach. Lawwell, Desmond and Co are 'dinosaurs' to use a well trodden phrase.

JC Anton, Random Review and Twisty like this.
  2. Slaw

We need wide scale protests. Which is * awful because they’re poisonous and will likely lead to us losing the league.

Honestly hard to fathom how badly they’ve * this whole thing up. 2012 the huns went bust. 12 years on and they’re on the verge of being the top dog. If they win this league title it’s basically neck and neck for the foreseeable. Our financial advantage is pretty much gone. Add to that, they’ve actually got a board who will speculate to accumulate. Does not bode well at all. This league title is * gigantic.

3. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    Let's be honest Lennon would win the league from this position and squad. If we lose it, as much to do with Rodgers as anything.

Mickmac likes this.
  4. Sgt Neppers*

Its bizarre. It's like he's wooed, wined and dined by Desmond. Made to feel special with visions of paradise.

He signs the deal, and as Rodgers turns round, he sees DD walking away saying, speak to Pete. He'll sort you out. The door closes, its grey and dull and we're back to where we were in his final season, first time around.

Don't always like political analogies, but we're run like the tory party. Just pals, hiring pals, despite their ability or knowledge and getting paid well for scraping mediocrity with zero scrutiny or accountability.

Banning protest = banning GB.

Parochial, nepotistic old *!

Leone Naka Fan, AdamRS and martin_d like this.
  5. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    He has the ability to unite the support behind him with one press conference tomorrow.

Do they think we are stupid? Do they think we don't know what's going on behind closed doors? Everyone can see it. Rodgers wants to make amends for the way he left? He could do that tomorrow. Come out swinging. I'm not asking him to go full Conte/Mourinho.

I just want him to come out, say it's not good enough and that things are different than what he thought when he came in the summer. Something as simple as that and the mood around him changes and the very small minority who continue to blame him over the * in the boardroom change their tune.

Guchi Gucci likes this.
  6. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Press conference should be good. Right enough they’ll be no one to ask the questions we want to hear. Media * it from the big managers and fan media will ask about xG or some pish no one cares about.

7. Bad Ambassador

Fav Celtic Player:
    Landry
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Need some transparency and these issues that the fans have need to be addressed as soon as possible. Well below acceptable. Seems that what everyone is saying is true, relationship between board and manager is plain to see, we need transparency there else we are being sold something. We deserve better

8. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I tell you one thing, if this window closes as is and also with the Huns strengthening significantly and Hatate seemingly picking up yet another injury and maybe CCV again too and if Rodgers does somehow pull off a title in spite of everything, he will genuinely have my forgiveness for 2019 and can leave with my blessings. He will deserve it.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2024
    Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  9. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

& if we lose it by two points he will be equally complicit as any board member for chucking * at a wall against hearts in a huff.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  10. James Gold Member Gold Member

He doesn't get a free pass through all this he defended it then started the quality chat which set our expectations. Time for him to earn his wages now

11. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I honestly don't know what that means. Can you explain?

12. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

The home loss against hearts he made some of the most bizarre substitutions I've ever seen that gave the impression he was deliberately trying to expose our own weaknesses in personnel and squad depth. I agree he's not been backed sufficiently but he's not helped himself in the way he's dealt with that issue.

edit: the match was December 16th, sure there'll be a few posts in here discussing the mental management I'm referring to. (page 211 if interested)

Lewis Kerr and KRS-1888 like this.
  13. Lewis Kerr

I don't rate him as a manager so I wouldn't be arsed if he walked in the Summer. In fact, I'd welcome it.

That said, if he does leave, he needs to bring the rest of them down with him. If he's truly being "let down" to the extent that some claim on here, he has no reason not to. My respect for him would increase a tenfold if he revealed all. It may even be the catalyst for change in the boardroom. Something's got to give.

He won't do this though. If and when he does leave, he'll go quietly with maybe a sly dig or two later on to make himself look better. I doubt he'll leave on his own accord either, considering that he'll lose millions by doing so. My guess is that he'll linger around until he's "emptied", and if we lose the league he can point to our poor transfer windows and injuries as an excuse. There will be no accountability and Brendan get's away with it again.

There's no doubt that Lawwell's hidden hand is adversely influencing transfer dealings (his record speaks for itself), but the way Rodgers escapes responsibility time and time again for his signings is laughable. I cringe when I see the way he's been martyred on this forum.

"Brendan isn't being backed!" does not justify losses against Kilmarnock (x2) and Hearts, awful performances on a near weekly basis against dross, losing a gargantuan lead at the top of the table, weird in-game substitutions and his bizarre squad management. That's loser mentality and downright delusion. We're playing in Scotland, not Spain. Even then, when he randomly includes a player we haven't seen for weeks, it's "Brendan's sending a message to the board", you have to laugh.

I've said it countless times: he is utterly useless in the transfer market. Same at Liverpool, same at Leicester. Probably the same at Swansea but I can't be bothered to check. Never Brendan's fault though. "Rodgers says he wants quality". Ok? Which manager on the earth doesn't say this? Is he just saying these things for soundbites at press conferences? They're empty statements unless he or the club actively does something about it. If his hands are tied why has he publicly talked them up when questioned, only to contradict himself a few weeks later (when we lose against dross)?

There's clearly a disconnect between him and the board (quelle surprise), but why does he find it so much harder to operate in the transfer market and bring in said quality compared to our previous managers? Transfers weren't always rosy under Lennon and Ange but they were definitely more coherent than what we get under Rodgers. We've quite literally had ONE good transfer window out of EIGHT under him. People need to wake up and smell the coffee.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2024
    Twisty and AdamRS like this.
  14. johnfife1959

Here is a link to all of his signings during his first stint here, loads of absolute dross, he is a total charlatan.
    https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/...brendan-rodgers-celtic-transfers-27104225.amp

15. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I don't know, mate, if you're expecting a manager to get through an entire season without getting it badly wrong a couple of times, you're asking too much. Ange is the best manager I've seen in my time here and even he didn't manage that. The fact is that Rodgers has had the worst backing I've ever seen for a first season and our points per game is still relatively decent.

16. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Not being able to influence any transfer business is damning on him too.

17. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    I agree with all you have written there but would you place Ange higher than MON? WGS achieved allot with us aswell as much as he can be an irritating wee * :giggle1:

Random Review likes this.
  18. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Get him to * anaw..

thailandceltic likes this.
  19. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

I didn't say he can't make mistakes. I'm saying he actively made ridiculous decisions to make a point to the board which is wholly unprofessional and self-destructive.

20. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Yes, mate, I would. Love MON and his team was better; but Ange is on another level. I know what I'm going to say next will be an unpopular opinion, but I would also have Rodgers as the second best coach I've seen here in my time (been a fan since 92). I don't like the guy, but he's a * of a good manager.

AdamRS likes this.