1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JamesM09

The closeness of the Lazio game and the Atletico game are evidence that if he had been backed in the summer we would've likely performed much better.

People are using some of these games as evidence we're going in the right direction in Europe.

The reality is they are evidence we blew a massive opportunity so our bottom line could look better.

2. murphy88

I never said it was a pass. I said there was mitigating circumstances. A manger cannot help if a player dives in like Holm did. Maeda shouldn’t have been sent off either.

This year was our easiest CL group. I’ve said this countless times. The teams he was able to put out were rank rotten for the most park however. We had a better team last year in a pretty favourable draw and only picked up 2 points.

I’m not saying we were close to competing to qualify either. Quite the * opposite in fact. That’s more on the board and recruitment team than Rodgers though. I don’t think there’s a manager on the planet who would’ve got us through the group this year with the players available.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2024
    Random Review and Guchi Gucci like this.
  3. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    If only football games were won on ifs and buts we would be in the last 16.

4. Slaw

You literally said we were nowhere near qualifying. We were pretty near qualifying for Europe after Christmas, objectively.

Hammy89 and Random Review like this.
  5. James Gold Member Gold Member

We were out of everything with a game to go which turned out to be the only game we won.

Last year was our 'learning' year this was the year we kicked on and had a go at Europe and we done neither

6. murphy88

Our board surrendered any chance we had of European progression last summer.

Random Review likes this.
  7. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    First questions he should be asked in his Aberdeen presser are...

Who the * sanctioned the Lagerbielke transfer..?

Does he still stand by his words that he has the last say on transfers?

Sick of his bullshit

johnfife1959, Peej and Mr. Slippyfist like this.
  8. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I just don’t get how through everything, we are sitting accusing him of talking *.

Every single manager on planet earth talks *. Ange used to do it all the * time. Nowhere near a transfer and we sign someone else. Our business is done, sign O’Riley.

I get that people have a negative view of him because of last time around but it’s now getting to the stage where they’re turning on him because we aren’t signing players.

We all want him to come out swinging. He’s not going to do that. Even Ange didn’t come out swinging. He said one thing, one time about not doing his job to stress the need for bodies. That was literally it.

I honestly don’t know what people are expecting him to say. I control some aspects of the transfers. I’m really * off with this. I’ve been left in the lurch. It’s simply not going to happen.

No manager is doing it unless you’re some sort of sociopath like Conte or Mourinho.

ddub11 likes this.
  9. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    I'm not turning on him, saying that I wouldn't be that bothered if he left in the summer.

My point is why is he telling us he has final say on transfers if he clearly doesn't. If he doesn't have final say then shut the * up about it, it makes him look stupid

10. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    You said we almost won. The home game? We were ahead for all of 20 minutes before they equalised.
    Even if we got through, we would have got spanked in the last 16. We are so leaky against decent sides.

This is what our standards are now in europe and it frustrates the * out of me that people dont think we are capable of better. Worse teams have performed better against better.

Lewis Kerr, seanm and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  11. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    He’s being asked about the transfer policy and how it works.

I think he does have final say on transfers. Which I think has been highlighted this window. Rodgers basically taking more of an active approach, which is why we’ve probably not seen the transfers we all expected. Which, to me, shows there are clear issues in our recruitment. Lawwall Jr bringing him utter *, Rodgers knocking them back. Rodgers telling Lawwall Jr what he wants, Lawwall Jr telling him we can’t afford it or aren’t willing to make the deal happen.

The lack of transfers this window makes me think he’s taken over the recruitment process and is refusing to sign players he’s being presented with. He admitted in the summer that he took a back seat approach so he could assess what he had.

12. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Think this is exactly it. He's right to refuse players that aren't up to the standard he wants, they need to just give him what he wants and stop all the * about.

If it all goes to * he really has to come out and tell it like it is, if indeed that is what's happening.

thailandceltic likes this.
  13. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I think he does too but I don’t think he will.

I think he has enough faith and confidence in his ability to coach what we have, with potentially a couple of late loans added in to see us over the line with the title.

I think he will be off in the summer, league title or not.

14. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Starting to believe this now aswell, obviously am always wary of jumping in with assumptions based on hearsay, but he cannot be happy how things have went up till now.

seanm likes this.
  15. singer61

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ynwa
    Ffs is he still here

James Mc, seamus1967 and johnfife1959 like this.
  16. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    It's actually like when he left the last time, mind we held onto guys we should have sold and then in January were only loaning players. Was it Weah, Burke, Toljan, Benkovic.

In hindsight we probably knew he was leaving by January and didn't want to let him sign anybody as a new manager would have to come in soon and rebuild a team.

Same could be happening now too, board probably thinking this * going to resign at the end of the season and Hatate, O'Riley, Abada maybe Hart, CCV could go and the new guy will need to bring the replacements in.

17. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Aye I can see the thinking behind that definitely, on the face of it it looks a very real possibility. I just don't know how on earth it could or would get to that stage so quickly. If this signing policy was the plan it would have had to be laid out clear as day and Rodgers would have had to be accepting of it on taking the job.

If that's not the case, I can't begin to imagine what has changed from then till now. I'd like to think the recruitment team have tried to bring in quality and have fell short through no fault of their own but it's starting to feel like something more.

Something has to give though and soon, you know it's getting ridiculous when even I'm starting to question the club's motives fs.

18. Sween

I think part of fans reaction is that they are simply filling the void that exists in how our club operates. We have people with titles running the club with no proper corporate governance in place, no evident recruitment plan, and no sense of who is on the hook for doing what when it comes to sourcing players.

Your are correct that all managers play the media and make up things every now and then. But in just over 6 months Rodgers have gone from talking up our recruitment team, to bemoaning our squad and demanding 'quality', to now almost being resigned to not getting quality and sort of insinuating we no longer need it. He is very inconsistent in message and tone. And it's simply inexcusable for a club like Celtic to basically say it's impossible to find quality in a transfer window that they've had months to prepare for.

He doesn't need to come out swinging. But he does need to be more consistent on what he believes is required, who is responsible for signing players, and where he is looking to strengthen. And at least stop complaining about a lack of quality when it suits but then talking the issue down when hes asked.

19. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Personally, I think he's done a reasonable patch job domestically given the players available and actually done really well in Europe; but his BS and his lies really aren't helping at the moment. Plus his history means he's attracting anger away from the people who deserve it and they make it pretty much impossible for him to get the fans to rally behind the team.

This has the potential to turn really toxic.

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  20. Sween

I'd say domestically has been pass marks but only just. Likely 2 points ahead of rangers but out the league cup early. Some rubbish results but beat them twice. Fine but borderline pass.

In Europe I think until we recruit properly there's no manager that can get us to any level in the champions league. I'm just resigned to defeat and I don't blame Rodgers for that.

So I think the jury's still out but I still believe he's a good manager with a pedigree as good as we will get. But I agree regarding the stuff he comes out with and his inconsistencies. People tolerate it as long as we are winning but quickly pick up on this stuff when results and performances turn.

Random Review and TheHappyLoss like this.