1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    Yeah, when you're talking about £5 million, that's practically Jota/CCV money and I agree that Bernardo hasn't convinced anywhere close to that extent.

I'm just thinking that if O'Riley and/or Hatate were to leave, a Bernardo with a year's experience playing in Scotland and Europe under his belt might make sense. Better the devil you know?

2. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Xavi is leaving Barca at the end of the season... can we have him instead? :p

3. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I think he's exasperated. It seems like exasperation rather than arrogance to me.

I know I don't have any solid evidence, but I'm more and more of the opinion that he's been made promises that haven't been kept. If he's been brought back on the understanding that he could build a team to try to improve in Europe and has actually been left with a team that will struggle to retain the league, the how he has acted this year makes a lot more sense.

Peej likes this.
  4. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I think this not really fair on him. It's not just that he hasn't had the players to play hs own way; he hasn't even had the players to play Ange's way. You can't take Jota, Starfelt and Moy out of the team and play most of the season without Hatate and Abada and a chunk without CCV and say this is Ange's team. It's Ange's team without half of its most important players that made it work.

Moreover, where it has been possible, he has shown flexibility, e.g. with Taylor's role after he tried to change it and Taylor couldn't do it.

5. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Whatever you think of him, it's mental how many people are directing their frustrations at Rodgers. Rodgers is not the problem here.

Peej likes this.
  6. Dalbeth3

Fav Celtic Player:
    to many greats to be able to pick one
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    He fields the players

7. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

Do you think he might be part of the problem ?

8. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    That's a ridiculous statement. He's the manager. No single person is more responsible for the team, how they play and the ongoing management of the squad than him.

Exactly what do you think his job is?

Lewis Kerr and Mickmac like this.
  9. James Gold Member Gold Member

That's a mental take. His 'style' has removed absolutely everything that was good about us last season. He's also been throwing out mixed messages all season and today is taking pot shots at the support in order to defend the board ... The same board that screwed him in his first spell.

He is very much part of the problem

10. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Of course he's the problem. One of many, but still a problem.

Our football has spectacularly regressed since his arrival. His tactics are questionable at best, and he changes his tune on incoming transfers * nilly.

He's went from "I needed to have a proper look at the squad" to "we now need quality" to "we need 4 quality players" to "we could have a 20 million pound player down the back of the couch" to "* knows, hopefully".

That's not a manager who knows what the * he's doing in the market.
    That's a manager sitting by the phone waiting to see if Lawell can hand him a player or two last minute before the window shuts".

We'll sign * all, and he'll defend this board, just like Lennon did, and claim it was a "difficult window".

The guys an absolute * talking prat. And now he's just insulted the fans.

"I wasn't too happy with the performance to be honest. There was far too much anxiety in the second half, and players weren't really stepping up to lead by example. We'll go away and have a look at it, regroup, and come back stronger. I understand the fans frustrations. We're frustrated too. The lads aren't too happy with that showing today. But we"ll take a look at how to be better, and we will be better". Done. Easy. Everybody's happy.

This * comes out and starts polishing his cross with banknotes from his salary, and takes a shot at totally JUSTIFIED fan frustrations with the board while he's at it.

Mr "I don't need anymore wingers" has turned into a * yes man. Lennon MK2.

That's the problem. A big * problem.

11. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    The players aren't good enough.

12. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I think his petulance may become part of the problem at this rate, but he's still a good coach in general and he's not the cause of this. We all know what the cause is. With a lesser coach, this would have been much, much worse.

13. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I think the players aren't good enough. I don't think that's his fault.

14. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I don't think we've even seen his style yet, because we don't have the players to play it; nor have we had the players to play Ange's style either.

15. James Gold Member Gold Member

He's taken the guts of a treble winning team and regressed it massively. Yeah we lost Jota who is a massive loss and hasn't been replaced properly but he's getting nowhere near the best out of this squad of players. He's beat Rangers twice yet we're only 2 points clear and they had a glorified PE teacher in charge at the start of the season.

You said above he doesn't have the players ... He has previously defended the recruitment

Lewis Kerr and Mickmac like this.
  16. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    We've obviously got the best squad in the league. CCV, McGregor, O'Riley, Kyogo, Hatate are so much better than any comparative player in the league. Our squad is miles ahead, should be a lot better if we actually spent some money, but Rodgers is doing * all with them and about that situation. In fact he's made most of them noticeably worse.

What do you actually think Rodgers job is?

Mickmac likes this.
  17. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    That's pretty circular, mate. The very point of disagreement is that I don't think it was him who regressed the team. We haven't only lost Jota.

18. James Gold Member Gold Member

I agree the squad is worse than it was 12 months ago but he's still getting nowhere near the best out of it. We lost Starfelt but Rodgers has described Scales as the biggest surprise of his career with how good he has been and Mooy who wasn't really a nailed on starter. Rodgers isn't the only problem at the club the board are a massive problem and their sheer nepotism but Rodgers should still be doing much better

Mickmac and NomDePlum like this.
  19. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    It's hard to answer your question as we don't know for sure how much of a role he has in transfers. It really does seem to be the case that he doesn't have much, in which case, his job is to make the best he can with the players he's given.

I don't think it's at all clear that we have a better squad than Rangers overall (yes, CCV, McGregor, O'Riley and Kyogo; but we've hardly seen Hatate!). The other teams? Of course we have better players; and we're also far ahead of them in the league to reflect that.

20. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    It's obvious, Ange with half the squad made it work and found ways to win and also entertained us. Rodgers is supposed to have pedigree, he's not showing it. Celtic managers manage. They are responsible for the team and the squad.

The Huns are dross, it's not like they are on fire. Rodgers at this point hasn't shown anything.

Still haven't answered what his job is. I'll give you a clue, it's the same as all previous Celtic managers.

Lewis Kerr likes this.