1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

What’s positive about it? Genuinely?

We’re keeping MOR - as well we should. Other than that, it’s the same old nonsense we hear every season.

Nothing positive about it whatsoever.

2. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Nothing positive whatsoever? We're keeping Matt as we should, which is positive no? He could have been pushing for the move which would leave us having to consider it, but he's agreed to stay on and help us see the season through.

There's also the fact that we're working on bringing in quality and Rodgers is hopeful we can get it done. Another positive, unless of course you're of the opinion he's talking * and is content to just not bother. Which would be a problem of course.

If you've talked yourself into believing 'the board' are against bringing in players fair enough, you're in the same boat as most fans. I just happen to believe otherwise.

3. James Gold Member Gold Member

I find it hard to hold Rodgers responsible for this window given the history but I would also be very reluctant to take Rodgers at his word as well

Random Review and Sweendog75 like this.
  4. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

It would be a disgrace if MOR was sold. Keeping him shouldn’t be seen as a victory.

So when Rodgers said “we’re hopeful”, “the club is working in the background”… you never heard that before? It’s manager talk 101 that we hear every single transfer window without fail and are left short changed.

So no, hearing that cliched pish isn’t a positive. He’s hardly going to come out and say “our business is done” when there’s a week left.

It’s fine if you believe otherwise. But to suggest that it was a positive presser is just ridiculous. The fact he said we’re no closer to bringing anyone in proves that.

Mr Shelby and Westlondonscot like this.
  5. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    In fairness to MOR he didn't push but if he did it wouldn't of made a difference. Hes under contract and AM didn't meet our valuation.

The board are not against bringing in players, they are against bringing in players that will immediately improve our team over a certain amount of money and age. Our board buy players for peanuts in the hope they punt for mega bucks. If the last window isn't an example of that, I don't know what to tell you mate...

I thought you switched over to the good guys(* the board) side?:56:

6. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Whatever you say bud :50:

7. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

How many times have we heard these smart comments about “Recruitment isn’t done just in the summer and January, it’s a thing we are working on all year round”. Is it aye?

Sick of listening to it all now. They all talk absolute *. First game we drop points in all we will hear is “We needed quality in” or “We need quality the coming summer”. Good luck finding quality when you can’t spend over £3m on a player barely.

ddub11 likes this.
  8. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    A thing we are working on all year round yet it was reported the other week we had scouts still doing due dilligence mid January on players.

They are so out of touch with the fans it's unreal, still think none of us are aware or want to keep up to date with this stuff. Mixed signals and the same * constantly spouted.

9. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Of course its not all down to him infact I'd say very little of it is down to him but he should stop talking * if its not going to happen with transfers which I presume he knows. "Quality blah blah * blah". I'm 100% positive he's not happy mate, what manager would?

Hes come out before in his previous stint criticising the way we conduct transfers, that dumpling Shved definitely one. Pretty sure it's why him and the fat controller came to a head last time round.

As for not believing a word he says, any trust was kicked to touch when he up and left for Leicester and to be honest mate I'm not sure why he returned if this is the regime he's working under.

MagicBallBhoy likes this.
  10. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    That was if they punted O'Riley, they've bought themselves some time :giggle1:

Nah I don't think it's as simple as the board not wanting to sign quality, it's more a case of whichever manager is in place has to work within the parameters.

Whether those parameters are ambitious enough are what's up for debate imo, but the board (I.e. Lawwell) ain't stepping in and stopping deals getting done. Scouting and recruitment are where we need to improve in order to ensure we're spending wisely, and I think the club are putting efforts into improving it.

And aye I know, I'm pretty much alone in that belief :56:

thailandceltic likes this.
  11. Sgt Neppers*

What amount is enough?!

That's not dig at you at all. Just never seems enough.

Also, a stupid strategy. Let's plan for the worst instead of building for the future.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2024
    Pearse67* likes this.
  12. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I agree in an ideal world I wish he wouldn't come out and get anyones hopes potentially up but given the amount of press training and focus on media in modern football he's never going to be as blunt as some fans hope. Its just not realistic for someone in his position to come out and say "we aren't signing anyone of the quality I want, I'm as * off as you guys".

As to why he's back here I continually ask myself the same question. As much as some may not like it I genuinely think he is here to mend a few bridge's as he could have still gotten an EPL job if he'd waited despite what people claim, and, he could easily have earned more money elsewhere too.

He says he's more in tune with the recruitment strategy now but he can't be convinced.

Random Review and thailandceltic like this.
  13. Guchi Gucci Gold Member Gold Member

Honestly believe he'll walk at the end of the year. Absolute dinosaurs running the club. Embarrassing.

MagicBallBhoy likes this.
  14. Guchi Gucci Gold Member Gold Member

Ange called them all out weeks into the role and they obviously shat themselves and acted fast, and again in the January.

Maybe being direct is better.

15. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    He showed cojones I didn't think he had in coming back; it's all for nothing, though, if he doesn't show them again now.

16. Pearse67*

With lawwell and desmond at thr helm we will never change. As long as we are slightly ahead of the huns that seems to be the benchmark for success in their eyes.

17. Big C

With this squad, there’s no reason to be overly confident we will be ahead at the end of the season!!!! It’s a * disgrace.

Wee Baldy likes this.
  18. FrankMcCallum

You’ve a cheek to call anyone a bullshitter.

You’ve been on here a month and spoke more pish than the rest of the forum put together.

19. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Mental that this midgets came back for this * show..

It makes no sense..

20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    :56:

HTG, FrankMcCallum and Liam Scales like this.