1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Benjamin Siegrist

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by The Thumb, Jun 21, 2022.

Discuss Benjamin Siegrist in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Because he isn’t. He is a good shot stopper, and tbh with that I’d tend to agree makes him a better keeper, but that’s not the way keepers are judged these days. Bain commands the box better, better with the ball at his feet, organises those infront of him better and is a much better sweeper keeper. Just a pity with Bain that his concentration is baws really, Hibs last year sums him up for me, 70 minutes of a peerless performance honestly a phenomenal 70 minutes. Then shat the bed and lost us the game.

He usually doesn’t show it all in the one game but that’s his issue. I really like him as a back up option, who has occasionally been good enough to force himself into the team as the first choice option. And the negative opinion on him stems from the fact he’s been good enough to do that at times but he actually isn’t good enough to be our first choice. He’s been seen more as the 2nd choice than the likes of Zulaska, who’s fondly remembered as a good second option precisely because he was rarely seen to prove it wrong

Wllm likes this.
  2. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

3. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic keeper Benjamin Siegrist has seen a move to Sturm Graz collapse.

The Austrians had been working on the deal for a month but have now pulled the plug. A loan switch had all but been agreed with Sturm but they have now decided to go down another route, with Liverpool keeper Vitezlav Jaros thought to be a live option. Austrian sources close to Sturm Graz confirmed that a deal for the Swiss star was pending but is now off and he will remain at Celtic.

Sturm Graz are no stranger to the Scottish market having already raided Motherwell to sign Max Johnston last summer. It now remains to be seen if there is further interest in Siegrist before the January window closes. The 31-year-old has found first-team football had to come by at Celtic, despite being one of the top keepers in the Premiership when he made the move from Dundee United in 2022.

In fact, he has made just two League Cup appearances since signing in the summer of 2022. Ange Postecoglou and now Brendan Rodgers have stuck by Joe Hart with Scott Bain as his back-up.

4. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  5. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    The whole thing is just weird, he looked like a decent keeper when we signed him. Maybe he needs to do a Jack Charlton and just go to the manager and say..sorry for being a massive pain in the *. I'll knuckle down now...or get to eff!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2024
  6. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Get him tae *.

He will be wanting a move to Oz with his Mrs.

7. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Aye best he moves.

Mystifying as he looked and excellent acquisition.

James Mc, BhoyFitz and NakamuraTastic like this.
  8. Peter T. Lawwell Esq Chairman of Celtic FC PLC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Who's his mrs, the wicked witch of the west?

9. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Thats a Prof joke if ever I've read one

@The Prof

10. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic are ready to accept an offer for goalkeeper Benjamin Siegrist before the close of the transfer window with multiple European clubs weighing up moves, sources have told Football Insider.

The 31-year-old, who was widely linked with Austrian side Sturm Graz earlier in the window, finds himself third-choice keeper at Celtic behind Joe Hart and Scott Bain.

Siegrist has made just two competitive appearances for Celtic since joining the club in the summer of 2022 from Dundee United.

News of his loan availability has alerted several clubs across Europe, who are looking to bolster their goalkeeping options in this month’s transfer window.

The Swiss shot-stopper has made the bench just once in the 2023-24 campaign.

His last regular season of game time came back in the 2021-22 season when he notched 13 clean sheets in 42 games across all competitions for Dundee United.

Since signing for Celtic he has been limited to a back-up role and has now fallen out of favour entirely under Brendan Rodgers.

Siegrist is under contract at Parkhead until May 2026.

He has also had spells with Aston Villa, Burton, Cambridge, Solihull Moors, FC Vaduz and Wycombe Wanderers.

11. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Given the amount of appearances I'm going to take this as positive news (when it happens)

12. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Nothing against the guy, but please * off !

Random Review and Rydo1888* like this.
  13. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Be a massive bonus to get him off the books.

14. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Another ridiculous signing.

We already had a backup, SPFL level goalkeeper who wasn’t good enough in Bain. So what do we do? Waste wages on another one.

15. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

Terminate his contract,but leave the engine of his car intact,usually I’d advocate it’s removal by the club but he’s done nothing wrong really.

RabS and Callum McGregor like this.
  16. gary88

Would like to see us sign 2 goalies in summer then as not convinced with bain as back up

17. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    :56:

18. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I can't diagree with any of that, yet I still think there has to be a certain level of shot-stopping ability even so. I genuinely can't recall Bain ever making a save that a Celtic goalkeeper isn't expected to make. Forster made some truly mind-boggling ones and Boruc had the knack of making them in the big moments, TBF Gordon and Hart made a few good ones too on occasion; but I can't remember a single one from Bain. In that respect, he's very much like Zaluska or De Vries.

We'd all like a keeper who can make saves like Forster or Boruc could, although I know that's tough to find; but how tough is it to find a keeper that can save shots like, say, Craig Gordon but has Bain's attributes for all the rest? That really shouldn't be beyond us IMHO.

19. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

20. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    That's disappointing