1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Rocco Vata

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Liam Scales, Jul 8, 2021.

Discuss Rocco Vata in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Totally agree to all that matey but imagine the uproar if we sold o’riley for 30 mil and then said….right’o we have Ben summers to replace him.

our fans would go ballistic. it’s a very fine line between getting players in or not and so so many factors can change it.

Go back a few weeks when some were calling for Rodgers head. No way would he have risked putting a youth player in from the start.

not really sure what the answer is to changing all that

2. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I’m still waiting to see that Irish lad who went to inter Milan. Wonder if we could steal him if he never gets anywhere near their teams

3. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Aye, it would be * if we did that just now, bit if we played our youths throughout the year, maybe 20 min here, the odd start against lower opposition on the cups etc, or when we have absolutely nothing else due to injuries like we've had, it wouldn't be so scary to have them involved.

Even a few weeks back at the worst, Frame got on and spur'd us to victory against Feyanoord, never seen since, that was a real positive performance from him, why not see him again especially after?

It's not about going goodbye star player let's have a pint at youth, it's about giving the opportunity, Vata looked bright at the end of last season, then we went out spent 1.5 mil on Tillio who's been injured and hasn't looked any better why'd we not use that spot as a give youth a chance spot.

celtic/cville, NomDePlum and The_Bhoy like this.
  4. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Frame one especially was very strange. Don’t think he was amazing when he came on but definitely didn’t do anything wrong…. But then like you say not seen since?

I think there’s something deeper going on at the club right now but just can’t put my finger on it.

until that’s fixed I can’t see us bleeding any youths into the squad for a good while

5. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Serie A sides looking to take him (bologna).

Sorry, but if teams of that ilk are scouting and wanting to take a punt on our youth players, why the * aren't we playing them a little bit more?

If for no other * reason than to give them more exposure and get a bigger fee for them?

It's baffling me that we let so many youth talent just stagnate to * and be sold on to elsewhere.
    Maybe they aren't good at all, maybe every single one of them is utter * horse * at football - then what the * are we doing at the academy level? Sack the * coaches because they aren't doing their job by the looks of it.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

greengrocer and NomDePlum like this.
  6. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    In fairness, has any of the youngsters we had who left actually done anything? I think Ben Doak is about the only one who looks as if he’s going to do anything and I think it was clear he was going to be playing games the second half of the season under Ange.

7. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    That's half the point though. If they are all just actually * and not worth our effort to develop, then what the * is the point to the academy and the work being done there?
    It's been what, 17 years since we set this thing up? What have we really seen in that time that can be attributed to the academy? Tierney?
    Forrest perhaps, though he would likely of been coming through early/tail end of whatever the previous setup was.

The success rate is atrocious and if they are all just *, big questions need asked.

8. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    Tierney has done alright. Almost a fluke he made the breakthrough, basically came down to an injury crisis did it not. Ajer is arguably another example.

9. James Gold Member Gold Member

Our youth development is pretty much non existent we hear time and time again about the next big thing coming through but at the very most they play a couple of games then are never seen again.

The B team in the lowland league is an absolute waste of time even if they are ripping up the lowland league they can only make 5? apps for the first team and then can't go back to the B team.

We heard for years how good guys like Dembele and Vata are but we barely got to see them.

I would exclude Doak from the above tbf as he went to Liverpool when he was not long out of nappies

10. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Tierney played for the first team though and was sold for a record profit.

Ajer was also playing for the first team and sold for huge profit.

Doak and Hjelde are about the only 2 I can think of that have looked very * good and I was disappointed to lose both. I don’t even think Hjelde has properly made it though and neither has Doak.

From the little I seen of Vata, he was never going to make it here. Isn’t he like 20 as well? It’s not like he’s * 17.

11. James Gold Member Gold Member

In that lies the point though we offer zero development to these players how long have we been hearing hype with Vata same with Karamoko Dembele and we seen a handful of appearances from them.

Mitchell Frame comes from nowhere to get on in the Champions League does well and hasn't been seen since we have no plan for youth development whatsoever it tends to be throw them on in meaningless games or if we have an injury crisis in a position we get to see them like we did with Joey Dawson

12. oh bhoy

aye forrest, mcgregor,tierney, ralston and welsh .for the length of time its been running you would expect it to have found its feet and been delivering one or two ready for first team action yearly but its the same story on every level they wont spend money on top coaches

Peej likes this.
  13. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    McGregor and Forrest I think could be argued as too early in the setup?
    Tierney certainly fits.
    Ralston and Welsh, decent but not high quality.

For the length of time it's been up and running, like you say, expected to see one or two yearly by now.

Other top academies are hiring tens of coaches. We hire Darren idea and Stephen McManus...that's it.

oh bhoy likes this.
  14. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    Is your point that prospects that the club don't rate enough to keep don't do much after? Seems almost like staying the obvious.

Maybe a bit ago but Andy Robertson would fit that bill. Also fair number of SPL level players came from our youth academy.

15. john2061

We really need a reserve league back even if it was a 5 team league with sevco and Aberdeen and Hibs and hearts .
    Our young players learning nothing playing in fifth tier of Scottish football and the structure within the game needs to change and you can't expect a youngster to go playing in the B side to the first team .

16. Paradise_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Matthew Anderson could be next LB highly rated had a decent loan in Austria

Dublin Celt likes this.
  17. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Because if we play a youngster and it goes * up then Celtic fans lose their * minds.

I'm not for one second defending our transfer policy or our pathway to the first team for youth players but you only need see the reaction to a rare defeat to see why managers might want to stick with tried and trusted.

Personally I would use the league cup to blood youth players but then you see the reaction to the Killie defeat.

18. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Wonder if we'll let him go now for a nominal fee, or nothing, but insert a sell on clause that potentially might get us some decent money in the future, rather than getting a development fee worth * all in the summer.

19. James Gold Member Gold Member

I would disagree with that tbh we've seen the likes of Ralston, O'Connell, Welsh, Frame, Dawson all come in to the side for relatively 'big' games and nobody was overly critical the only one I can think of in recent times who played and got a bit of criticism was Dane Murray.

I purposefully excluded Mikey Johnston from the above list as he's not a footballer

The_Bhoy and oh bhoy like this.
  20. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I don't mean the players themselves, more the reaction if we were to play untested youngsters and lose.

We lose a league cup match with the first team and we're in full blown crisis. Why make that possibility more of a reality?

We need a proper reserve league or at least allow our youngsters the chance to climb the leagues to at least the Championship.

If it's good enough for countries like Spain then it should be a no brainer for us.

Dannybhoy81, Wllm and James like this.