1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Makes ye feel better to convince ourselves of it though:56:

I don’t agree though.

Zander likes this.
  2. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Aye, I can’t see GK till the summer outwith being offered someone unexpected. Hart will suffice to summer but GK’s top priority after that.

NakamuraTastic, martin_d and Crilly like this.
  3. Crilly Hakuhna matata

I’m feeling the same, being out of Europe I think hart will be fine domestically but we must sign a new number 1 then for next season. Hopefully even if we’re not signing one this window doesn’t mean we aren’t still actively scouting one. This way in the summer we can get a good keeper in early doors.

4. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    His deals up as well isn’t it? He’s a big leader in the squad, we need a settled back line, he’s improved form wise in recent weeks. Still needs replaced definitely but January for a keeper that can come in at the level we need is a hard ask I think

5. Crilly Hakuhna matata

Yeah his deals up then and rumours of him going MLS I think. Great leader and has done a great job but still a lot of goals he’s conceded this season you look and know a better keeper is saving them. A couple free kicks etc he was poor for. Has made a lot of good saves too but a lot he’s conceded have been soft. Always the problem with january but my wishful thinking was we could sign one this month to get settled in around the team maybe play the odd cup game/home game in the league and then would be ready to take over next year. Doesn’t always work like that though

6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    MLS would be a good end to a long career for him, I’ll remember him fondly when he goes, and for somebody I hated before he got here that’s fair play.
    He played his part in success, and his presence at times has been more than his ability for us but I appreciate his career with us.

But we absolutely need better, if he plays out the rest of the season and goes to MLS I’ll be happy with that. But if we can get a better option for the long term viable this window, we also need to be all over that. Difficult to do mid season though

NakamuraTastic and Crilly like this.
  7. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I hope we are tying our best to bring in a quality keeper this window and if we were a seriously run club we would be trying to.

martin_d and Crilly like this.
  8. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I wonder why an injury to Rice ended a deal, yet we still signed some injured players like Jozo, Tilio, GG? Did they not all have injuries when they arrived?

9. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    We should looking for a serious quality keeper, but if it’s not viable this window I’d rather wait to the summer to get in a keeper that can make a proper difference than going for lower quality available in January.

No team wants to lose quality players mid-season regardless of positions, but the first team keeper that can turn draws to wins, losses to draws? They’re almost impossible mid season. And so is the backup keeper, that is trusted to be just as good an option as the main one, at big clubs anyway. And the type we need will be at a big club if he’s a second choice keeper.

10. Crilly Hakuhna matata

I think it’s bad form from the club not offloading siegrist in the summer and bringing one in to challenge hart but hey ho. Tbh I didn’t have any thoughts on him before he joined other than his ability as a gk which I would’ve only seen if him really at city so I knew he had potential to be a big signing for us and I think he has been.
    Really like the way he’s bought into the history of the club etc and can see he really appreciated the opportunity to compete at a high level again (europe etc).
    To me priorities are still Left back and Gk then maybe Rw and striker but I can see us going for a left back and Rw/striker as priority and leaving gk on the back burner

11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Did Jozo and GG not get injured after signing? Tilio we picked up an issue but thought its ok to go ahead regardless.

Might be the money involved in the deal? The type of injury with the money involved, makes it too much a gamble he’d return from it as the same player. It’s happened countless times with guys at the age he’d have been BR’s first spell at us.

Or it could have been an excuse from them to delay a deal to see what else they could get, and we walk away

12. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Possible if theres a keeper who’s contract is running down.

Liam Scales likes this.
  13. Crilly Hakuhna matata

I think he meant an injury to players in Rice’s position meant Rice was kept to fill in the gaps etc then took his chance, similar to say scales situation with Aberdeen and us. We had injuries at CB which meant we were forced to not sell to aberdeen and use scales and he impressed

14. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Siegrest * baffles me, he seems to be in Australia more than the training pitch. Guy looked a real good option, Bain’s proven himself the better option again. Fair play to Bain doing that time and time again as well, I like him as a number 2, as long as he doesn’t need to play 10/15 games in a row.

LB main priority, and I want a right winger that can act as a physical target, to make up for the lack of physicality Kyogo brings. A right winger that is similar to Samaras when he was on the left.

edit: I hated Hart because I was certain and still am that Forster was a better keeper, and deserved to start for England infront of him, and only reason he didn’t was because arrogance towards us. And he was very English, Sky Sports golden boy sorta player. Turns out, I really like him:56:

15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Aye definitely mate, and we should be searching and making sure if its the right option that we can get at the required quality we pounce on it. But I don’t want us to lower the level of ability, because we can get him now. Hart’s ok till end of the year if thats when we can get a game changing keeper - we need a Forster or Boruc level keeper.

That’s the biggest thing for us to improve in Europe, they 3 got us to the last 16. Because they made saves that were match winning.

Crilly likes this.
  16. Crilly Hakuhna matata

I genuinely liked the look of siegrist but the guy is just a waster happy to steal a wage by the looks of it. Tbh I don’t rate bain, he’s doing his job as cover but I think he just looks way to nervous in goal I don’t really trust him. He covers the hg quota though and seems happy to be back up.
    For right wing I think we need someone pacey and with a bit of flair say to beat a man… a different option say to what we have. I like the look of that guy Kuhn in fairness. Even if he’s not the quickest he looks like he’s tricky and with some end product

17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I rate him as a 2nd keeper but we’ve seen more of him than any other second keeper because he’s been ok enough to force himself into being first choice at times - but he’s nowhere near good enough for that. If he was seen like Zulaska was, 3/4 games a season, think we’d all be happier with him here.

And there’s been a lot of players talking him up as a big character in the dressing room, happy with that, thought he’d be 3rd choice when Siegrest joined. But he’s a guy that looks like he’s decided he’s made it and jacked it in, similar to Ciftci when he got to us. Got his big wage, made it to a big club and that’s him made it doesn’t need to continue trying like they had to, to make it to that level.

We barely treat him like a squad member now. Guy has talent as well.

Crilly likes this.
  18. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

6 months he’s been back,doesn’t feel like it at all.

19. horseshoe

He was talking about injuries to other players, so they kept hold of him instead of moving to us, then he got in the team and took his chance. Like Scales for us this season, had one foot out the door in summer but injuries cleared a path for him and he's stepped up massively.

G_portillo likes this.
  20. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    We need a GK bedded in now. Our midfield options will suffice, though. A freebie or a loanee can cover ST, while big money must be spent on fixing the positions we have no reliable alternatives in.