1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. murphy88

:56::56:

Worst attempt yet Patrick.

HoopyT likes this.
  2. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    You don't know what Rodgers has or hasn't tried to do, that's pure conjecture.
    You don't know what Rodgers intentions are regarding transfers, that's more conjecture.
    This means that saying, "The reason he never tried to sign those type of players, is..." is literally conjecture on a conjecture, so I don't think there's a serious argument there for me to address.

Baaa I don't blame "the board" as some monolithic entity baaa, nor baaa have I said BR is blameless baaa. What I have said is that I think our recruitment structure has not been good enough since the end of 2016 and that BR has done better than I expected this year given the players he had available.

You say he didn't even realise what sort of players we needed to sign: didn't he? How do you know? Do you have contacts inside the club? You can't really state that as if it were a fact. We can consider that your interpretation of the fact that the club didn't sign those players (my interpretation is that the recruitment team failed to get those players). Fair enough, we interpret that differently; but you can't use that to argue that Rodgers is to blame not the board, as that would be circular.

Finally, he has the best CL record over the last decade of our managers who have tried in that period* and is the only manager to win a game (in fact 2) during that time. That's why I am genuinely surprised at your opinion that he is hopeless at the end there.

3. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

How was that game?

I am very proud of the team over the last number of weeks. The performances and results they have produced, especially on the back end of the Rangers game this can be a really tough place to come. The players stood up to the game well and scored two really good goals and we obviously got the chance to play against 10-men and we were much better this time than we were at the weekend so we managed the game well in the second half. The only downside was we got in each other's way to stop the ball going in the net. It has been a huge effort and I am proud of the team.

You made such a fast start, how important was it to get an early foothold in the game?

Yeah, very much so. I say patience but patience at the right time. Our idea is always to start to quickly so when you get two goals in the opening two minutes that sets things up really well.

Matt O'Riley made his 100th appearance tonight. How important is he?

Very, he is an outstanding player and it was a nice little * with his right foot so yeah he is approaching double figures in terms of goals and that is what we need from our central midfield players. That ability to create goals and score goals. I thought team worked well, we had a couple of little moments where our pressing could have been better but overall it was a very good performance.

What are your plans for the break?

There will be a little bit of recovery, obviously December has been a hectic month, but we will be back in and getting ready for our first game in the [Scottish] Cup.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2024
  4. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Mid-season and its been mediocre, hasn't it..

2 great wins v The Huns but still only 2pts ahead really..

5. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Starting to turn the screw now. It's took a massive scare and boot up the * for things to fall into place, took way too long to find consistency but we're there now definitely.

Things go his way with transfers this month and we'll be looking at another few years of blowing every * away, but this time with improvements in Europe, which has already started.

Keep at it Brendan bhoy!

6. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    Style of play has been pretty meh on the main but did what was needed in the last 4 games though to keep us ahead at the break.

Probably right with the "only 2pts ahead" but them having to play those remaining games is still an advantage.

honda and JC Anton like this.
  7. oh bhoy

he simply had to win thoes 4 games after losing 2 on the bounce ,its up to the recruitment now to make up the ground they lost in the summer

8. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Thats still the perspective, still blew a massive advantage and allowed malaise to set in.

Things have looked brighter the last few weeks and hopefully we can continue improving.

Im surprised at the decision not to take the squad to Dubai in the winter break as we seem to have benefitted a lot from this in the past. Maybe he wants to have a more involved role in recruitment..

He still has a lot to do and both Rodgers and the board have a pivotal January ahead.

JC Anton likes this.
  9. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Since Livi at home we have been magic. Got Abada and Hatate back too and will sign a couple of players soon. After Killie and Hearts it felt like there was no way we could go into the winter break with any positivity but we are now.

He’s definitely changed things up since then tactically and personal wise. Iwata and Bernardo over Turnbull needed to be done, getting it forward again quick and AJ and GT coming inside has made all the difference.

DonnyCelt likes this.
  10. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Things are improving.

Give him time and a fuller squad and we will see the benefits. Could be argued the break is coming at a bad time.

Hopefully come out of January stronger.

JC Anton, Crilly and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Credit when it’s due but, absolutely arrested that malaise and turned it round.

And now at a stage we can reflect on the first half of the season and I think while been some baffling stuff that’s annoyed me going on - Ange would have struggled last year without CCV, Hatate and Abada. Who have been missing for large periods.

Started the season with 6 injured CB’s. Had Maeda out along with Abada for a period of time.

Last year the general opinion was we despised playing without CCV and Hatate, and there was a massive drop off without them.

I have plenty of nitpicks with his decision making so far, Bernardo’s form right now and being missing except when we needed a player he trusted to play in thr CL - the hardest games we’ll face is * confusing in retrospect

PaddyJamieson likes this.
  12. GazF1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonathan Gould
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Bella Ciao
    I can see us whitewashing Sevco this season. As long as he has them on a leash he can stay as long as he wants.

13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    They shouldn’t be a measuring stick for us. Need to be aiming for the absolute best we can get the club to be, not just better than them.

Peej and greengrocer like this.
  14. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Agreed. I actually think he improved us in Europe this season tbh though and given time could do more.

Liam Scales, Random Review and Crilly like this.
  15. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

This window is on him for me..

Either he gets a lot of he wants and we need in the door.. and then he'll live or die on those signings..

Or

If we have window similar to the summer, where he's not properly backed then he doesn't have the influence required and should walk..

packybhoy likes this.
  16. murphy88

Even if he isn’t backed, I still think he will see out the season, as I don’t see an offer coming in for him. The thing is, even if he was to then walk at the end of the season, you’d still have fans claiming it was Rodgers fault and not down to the board.

JC Anton likes this.
  17. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Aye, think it's a massive window in lots of ways..

18. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Yeah think the players have been given a week to themselves for a holiday...going by MOR interview he's off to Spain. Then back to training.

Hope it works out well and we come back champing at the bit

G_portillo likes this.
  19. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Yep zero debate this time over whose players come in this window. He knows the parameters in which he can work so uo to him to utilise his resources to the max.

I just know though that if he chooses the wrong option at any point the board will get it in the neck, rather than his own judgement.

Need a big hit success regardless of who is or isn't responsible.

Tim-Time 1888 and JC Anton like this.
  20. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Yeah just hope its the best decision for the squad and that the squad comes back reinvigorated and ready to go.

greengrocer likes this.