1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Newcastle have more money than any club in World Football. There's no reason for them to approach Rodgers. We must have a big game coming up.

Crilly, honda and NakamuraTastic like this.
  2. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    Howe guided Newcastle to a top-four finish in the Premier League and qualification for the UEFA Champions League, their first entry into the competition since 2002-03

Having said that..his contract runs out the summer of 24 so maybe it's a case of not renewing it

Howe was appointed to replace Steve Bruce as the manager of Premier League club Newcastle United on 8 November 2021, signing a contract until the summer of 2024

3. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    eh thanks for the history lesson. As I said he’s *, we dodged a bullet with Eddie ‘nice guy’ Howe.

4. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lol..he's not *..he did well with Bournemouth and got Newcastle 4th, which is a great achievement... but I wouldn't want him anyway..at the same time I don't want rodgers anymore

5. DonnyCelt

Wouldn't be surprised to see him walk at the end of the season if he's not backed properly in this window.

mayo, Artorias and NakamuraTastic like this.
  6. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Hopefully Newcastle buy him this January :fear:

7. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    £9m..for the bank woo!

8. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    That summer was a ridiculous waste of money and opportunity. We should have spent the circa 20M on 3 or 4 players. ECL would have had a much better chance of being a joy and we'd have likely guaranteed next years ECL participation.

The Phoenix and DonnyCelt like this.
  9. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

10. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    And at £2.4m a win, we could have at least won 3 games = £7.2m

Artorias likes this.
  11. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Brendan Rodgers reckons the critics have Celtic in constant crisis mode.

But the Parkhead boss is having none of it and insists he’s charging in today’s Old Firm crunch with a good feeling. Rodgers’ team took heavy recent criticism after defeats and have now suffered the body blow of losing Cameron Carter-Vickers for the Rangers showdown. But the manager is firmly upbeat as he backed Stephen Welsh to shine in the American’s absence whilst stating Liel Abada and Reo Hatate could also return.

Rodgers’ team could also go eight points clear with a triumph and he said: “I think if you read or listen to everything you would feel we were in constant crisis mode here. That’s what I feel. But I don’t think that way at all. It’s another great game for us. I think going into that last game we were off the back of not a really good result. We had performed well against St Johnstone but didn’t get the result. This time we are going in with a good feeling.”

Asked if chatter such as crisis talk felt any different to his first spell, Rodgers continued: “It’s just levels, isn’t it? But for me there is no difference.

“I just think it’s maybe how it is out there. For me we are still in a good place as a team. We are going to get better, we will hopefully improve the squad. Like I say, we’ll see where we get to at the end of the season.”

Losing Carter-Vickers is a major blow, but Welsh was an impressive stand-in for the Champions League win over Feyenoord. Liam Scales grabbed a similar chance at Ibrox in September and Rodgers said: “It really liked Stephen as a kid when I was here first of all. I was really impressed with his mentality and focus.

“He’s got mature. He’s played in these types of games before from a youth player, so he understands the magnitude of it Against Aberdeen he played really well in the second-half and sadly got injured, came in against Feyenoord and the other night [against Dundee]. So he knows what’s expected and I’m pretty sure he’ll relish the chance.”

On Abada and Hatate, Rodgers continued: “We don’t want to rush them, but if they come through [training Friday] then they will be involved in the squad. Liel just wants to get back on the field again, it’s been a challenging few months for him with injury and everything else. And Reo is a big talent.”

Rodgers intimated Carter-Vickers is not long-term and explained: “Talking to the guys before, he hadn’t picked up a lot of injuries, he was quite robust.

“But since he’s had his knee operation, it’s been a challenge for him. Speaking to John Kennedy about that sort of experience around the knee, you end up compensating a lot.

“So it’s maybe going to take him a wee bit of time to get that rhythm back again. He never had a proper pre-season. He was on his own, so he’s always been catching up. Hopefully, he can get free of that for the second part of the season because he’s a fantastic player.”

Rodgers is adamant today’s outcome isn’t season-defining and said: “Not really, no.

“We have already won at Ibrox, so whatever the result and we want to win the game, there are still many more games to play.”

Rodgers, meanwhile, revealed it’s unlikely new signings will arrive for the start of January as he said: “Not that I’m aware of. I don’t think there are any who’ll be right in at the beginning.

“Every coach would want them in on the first day, but they’ll be in when they are ready to be in and if that are at the level to be in.”

12. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

13. henriks tongue

Very interesting, slightly worrying listening to BR just now ahead of the game.

He talks about 3 year cycles and the current team being at the end of that and having to recalibrate.
    We all know how he himself is on 3 year cycles.

More worrying is he talks about 'the club' a lot in 3rd person and how 'they' want to spend, how 'he' wants to improve. Did not hear 'we' very much
    Is it just me, or is BR still not feeling full ownership for the team and still not fully motivated, almost similar to when he left?
    Hopefully today helps prove that wrong.

14. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    That final 15 minutes was more nerve wracking than it should have been, but there's no doubt he has those Orange * number.

LloydsGamble, Mr Shelby, mayo and 3 others like this.
  15. Rydo1888* Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He owns them!!

Only one defeat in about 14 times facing them & two draws

Crilly likes this.
  16. Crilly Hakuhna matata

The criticism for him lately for performances and dropping points is completely justified. But give him his due his record against them manky * is top notch! Nervy at the end but we were better and a * HUGE RESULT. Back the man in January and back him to finish this season on top

NomDePlum, mayo and littlekennie like this.
  17. Crilly Hakuhna matata

Think it’s 1 defeat, 1 draw and 12 wins

Rydo1888* and Jeannie960 like this.
  18. cammy07

Thought at the time subbing all the front 3 was risky and proved that way but if hart does his job then it’s a cakewalk last 15 and we probably score 3 or 4.

He’s got that * number no doubt, as a club they’re terrified of him and his record against them is outstanding.

19. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    History tells us whoever wins the ny derby goes on to win the league go on the break knowing we don’t have a fixture pile up come back fresh with some signings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rydo1888* likes this.
  20. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Huge result for Rodgers and a huge second half performance. He needs to kick this team on now. A big window ahead for him.