1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Callum McGregor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by greengrocer, Jul 5, 2014.

Discuss Callum McGregor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    My main point is we need someone different to play that role next year in Europe. And have for a number of years, tonight doesn't change that.

In all honesty your response sounds more like you agree with me than anything, so "slander" - :56:, *, that is strange behaviour.

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  2. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

He was there because of an injury.

It’s strange.

3. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    Who said he wasn't? But it's the first time in a long time he's not been there from the start that's true.

Probably could be clearer, my main point is just because McGregor can play that position, doesn't mean he should. And up until Iwata in recent memory he has had to do it consistently. We really need to get another quality, more physical player to be our CDM. It can't be McGregor next year, and he shouldn't even be backup in that position this year, never mind next.

I also thought he was OK tonight, not good, but not my main point.

It's not strange.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2023
    Ryanm1984 likes this.
  4. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Aye but the point you made is an obvious one, one that can’t be avoided just now and one that isn’t McGregor’s fault. If anything it shows just how good and just how professional he is. You used it as a dig.

Not one person has said he’s the CDM of oir future. He wasn’t even the CDM last night until an injury, so your point was strangely timed and something that everyone already knows… including McGregor and the manager. So why say it.

5. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    At who?

I was making a point, which according to you is accurate and well known. Really weird take on a comment you apparently agree with.

6. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Callum McGregor admits Celtic talked about doing themselves justice ahead of their 2-1 win over Feyenoord following a Champions League campaign decided on wafer-thin margins.

The East End side were highly competitive in all but one half of football across the six group matches, with only a tortuous second half in Madrid against Atletico suggesting Scotland's champions might be out of their depth.

There has been a feeling in the dressing room that the points on the board don't quite reflect the reality of the games, something McGregor and his teammates were determined to change under the lights against the Dutchmen.

The victory was well deserved after a thrilling game of football both restored dignity and ensured Brendan Rodgers doubled Ange Postecoglou's points tally from last season.

And Celtic captain McGregor hopes the positivity gained on the night will offer a pathway to success in next year's revised competition where there will be eight group games.

He said: “We spoke before the game about wanting to do ourselves justice and play with pride and get what we feel like we have deserved out of the group because the performances have been good. But we need to marry that with results and there was maybe a little bit about trying to give hope to the supporters about, hopefully, next year’s competition.

“It’s good that we have done that and I thought we thoroughly deserved to win the game. I thought it was a good game of football for both teams with, statistically, nothing to play for. It was actually a really good game. A win is what we have been striving for. The performances have been great, but we’ve obviously come away with one point or no points. If we want to continue and grow and get better, then we have to try and win these types of games.

Obviously, the way the group has played out, the home games, if we get maximum points, we probably find ourselves actually getting through. So it’s a step in the right direction. The players feel good about themselves and, hopefully, the supporters feel good about the performance and result and then we come again on Saturday with a hugely important game as well.”

Under Rodgers, Celtic never lack for preparation but there's another factor that McGregor feels was crucial in the shake-up of the group.

“I think just more experience at this level," he said. "Small details. We spoke about it a lot after probably every game and you feel like maybe you carry a wee bit of luck married with good performance. I think we have been good in all of the home games and just not had those moments that have fallen for us. It’s good we took our chances in important moments.

“In the last five or six minutes, you could see they tired and we used that to go and kick on and get the winner. It’s really positive but we know we don’t come through the group or don’t have European football, but, hopefully, that can be a marker.”

While Celtic have only accumulated four points in the group, the ruthless level of the competition means even the richest clubs can struggle for qualification. McGregor looks to arguably the world's biggest team as an example of how difficult this level of football can be.

He said: “I think we’ve been in every game. That is just the level. You see it earlier in the week as Manchester United struggled to get through and that’s a huge club all around the world. The level is not easy by any stretch. But if we want to be in it and feel competitive in the games which we have been, it’s then just that next bit about adding experience and quality and then you’re home games before so important for you

7. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    He looks a tad liberated when Iwata plays, and tends to get more shots off too.
    Even when Iwata was not playing, he got few shots off, despite being on the ball in dangerous positions.

8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
  9. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    I think he knows the score so I wouldn't be giving Callum a hard time.

He's not at his best but he's still giving 100%..must be frustrating as * for him.

martin_d and Morcombe like this.
  10. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Plays great in a great team. When we're in trouble he doesn't rise enough for me.

Sgt Neppers*, AdamRS, Twisty and 6 others like this.
  11. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    He's dig us out a hole more times than not ...
    There's only so much he can do with the poor quality around him.

12. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

13. James Gold Member Gold Member

He's still never a holding midfielder it's baffling that we have about 400 centre mids who all want to do the exact same thing

martin_d and Mince.Charming like this.
  14. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone/ Fields of Athenry
    He done it on Wednesday night, drove everyone forward after they equalised.

He might not be at his best right now but he's not even close to being our biggest issue atm, if anything he's trying to cover for other players who aren't doing thier job.

15. Al Bootyerbaws

Definitely this. When we’re in the * like today it’s as if McGregor thinks he’s got to do it all himself because he’s the captain which I get. He’ll try and beat an extra man instead of playing a pass. You can see his frustration because the players round about him aren’t up to scratch.

He’s no been great for a wee while and isn’t immune from criticism but let’s look elsewhere before pointing the finger in his direction.

The_Bhoy, Ryanm1984 and Jamesy Bhoy 7 like this.
  16. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Good to see him saying players coming in have to be ‘quality’. That’s a clear dig at the board for their recent recruitment, imo.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  17. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I'd like him to start meddling in Rodgers' job. As in, the tactical side of it. It has to be done since Rodgers doesn't know how to make a balanced midfield.

18. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Sounds more like a copy of whatever the manager says. I hate this "bring qaulity in" lines in public. How demotivating is that. Can see why he's loosing the dressing room.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  19. murphy88

McGregor basically saying that what we have brought in isn’t good enough. All well and good saying Rodgers is meant to be a coach that can develop players, but if the player simply isn’t good enough in the first instance, there’s only so much can be done. McGregor and Rodgers singing off the same hymn sheet which is a good thing. All this shitshow goes back to the appalling recruitment in the summer.

20. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I'm not buying it. Ange had worse than we currently have for long spells and never once played this bad.