1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh Hyeon-gyu

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Notorious, Jan 25, 2023.

Discuss Oh Hyeon-gyu in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    He warranted it at the time… then hasn’t taken his chance when deservedly given one. Kyogo hasn’t been great recently

2. murphy88

He scored a double last midweek and put in a decent performance yesterday. Should have scored first half but he was taking it in well and getting us up the park. It was much more than Kyogo has been doing recently to be fair. Kyogo just doesn’t suit playing as a lone striker in the system we are playing. He is hardly getting a kick in games. Last week at St. Johnstone he only really got involved when Oh come on. Kyogo was then dropping deeper and getting involved but it was still leaving us with a focal point in Oh.

3. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I dont think Oh was decent. He missed two sitters. The one he slid, he got his footing all wrong and tried to finish with the wrong foot. He could have played another 90 minutes and still not scored.

The key to our resurgence is getting Kyogo playing again. Its so glaringly obvious.

This reminds me of Spurs trying to get Harry Kane to come deep and play the 10. You have the leagues top scorer and you are not playing to his strength.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  4. murphy88

What was the other sitter? Kyogo has done very little in the recent games, and he would have likely been ineffective yesterday as well. The system just doesn’t suit him. We either need to change to get him more service or we need to find a way to get both him and Oh in the team. Oh’s overall game was decent yesterday though. It was what you want from a lone striker, miss first half aside. He was taking it in really well and bringing others into play. The setup is killing Kyogo.

After the first half, we could have played for a fortnight and no scored. Oh was probably our best player second half.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2023
    Wllm likes this.
  5. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    The chance when he cut in on his right foot and ballooned it over the bar from just inside the box. Lack of composure, he has to be hitting the target there.

Kyogo needs players who will find his runs and get the ball into the box. The service hasnt been good enough and its not Kyogos fault.

Its not really a lone striker, he is effectively the head of a three man attack. I feel like he spent half of the game on the deck, he needs to stay upright and try and be more composed.

6. murphy88

He was miles offside so it wouldn’t have mattered. It was a poor finish but not a sitter, and as I say, wouldn’t have counted anyway.

The system in killing Kyogo, I’ve said that plenty times. We have players capable of finding his runs. McGregor, O’Riley and Palma to name three. All with good passing and vision. For whatever reason it’s just no happening though.

It wasn’t a lone striker under Ange, but I think it very much seems like that now the way we have been playing. Kyogo has been totally isolated and is then having to drop deep to get involved, which isn’t really his game in all honesty. He wants to play on the shoulder of the last defender, and rightly so. Because that’s what he does best.

Oh was the only one getting us up the park in the end on Sunday. We need a bit more from him, but in all honesty, we needed a helluva lot more from the players behind him second half on Sunday.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2023
    Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  7. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    They weren't sitters, he cut in and hit a shot over the bar not as if it was a tap in.

The other one also he should have dived/slid at the ball quicker but also it's not like the ball was rolled on a plate for a tap in to him either, it was a chance that if he ran and slid in he might have scored but he could have missed also the ball was played about 3 yards in front of him.

8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Could've/should've scored but I thought his all round play was excellent, first half anyway..

Second half the full team went missing and he had no service..

murphy88 and Wllm like this.
  9. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Oh certainly has positives to his play, although the erratic finishing is something people will remember whenever we fail to win.

Can we get better? Yes, but there's a catch. Even I, a firm believer in the need to spend bigger money on transfers, do not think we can realistically attract a really good striker to be a clear second choice. Not to mention that optimization of the front end of the team right now requires not an expensive striker signing, but a change in tactical instructions. Kyogo is not a deep lying forward. Oh could be it, and in the case of us going 2 up top, he should be behind Kyogo.

In January, a loan will do, whereas money should be thrown at a LB and GK.

murphy88 likes this.
  10. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Im sure he put two well over the bar, one of which was the offside, and missed the slide as well. The slide, i dont know how he missed. MJ had the time to pick the cross and Oh was unmarked.

He did have some decent hold up play but as a striker at Celtic, you have to take big chances, especially as the only out and out striker on the pitch.

11. murphy88

Canny think of another one to be honest. I could be wrong. The one when Mikey squared it he has to score I agree. I think he got caught wanting to initially go with his right foot, then he changed his mind but it was too late to sort his feet to go with his left.

A striker at Celtic should be getting multiple chances in a game. We aren’t creating enough for our strikers. Kyogo has been starved of chances. It then makes it harder when a big chance does come along.

G_portillo likes this.
  12. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

It’s almost like going back to the Kyogo/GG debate, Oh gives us a much better outball and option but Kyogo just has a knack of scoring when needed.

I’d love to see both up top together.

13. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Thought he gave us a good option at the weekend tbh. I don't think Kyogo would have done much more. His finishing isn't great though. Very inconsistent.

We definitely need another striker.

I was more concerned with our midfield and defence...and the wide players!

Hammy89, murphy88 and Ryanm1984 like this.
  14. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I think im wrong mate, i went and checked and it seems to be just the one on his stats so i stand corrected.

murphy88 likes this.
  15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    And the goalie....

Mr Shelby likes this.
  16. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

17. Waiting For An Alibi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Johnston
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Harsh on the big man. Looked a legit goal.

18. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Was probably just and only just a freekick but he was unlucky..

19. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    He's a big asset off the bench, I don't think he's good enough to start for us over a period yet, but he's definitely got the attributes.

martin_d likes this.
  20. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Think it was a foul cause he didn't quite knick the ball as he planted his foot. Similar to Glasgow Derby disallowed goal.