1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you agree with the ban on new petrol and diesel cars from 2035?

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by BigManSmalls, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Do you agree with the ban on new petrol and diesel cars from 2035? in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Gonna be a right * when visitors park in your spot :56:

2. paulie walnuts Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    Are these EV overnight tariffs from energy providers much cheaper than just a standard tariff? Also do you need to get a special meter installed?

3. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Glad you were able to do that although ouch on the price. Having the ability to charge the car at home is huge. I am lucky in that our neighbour across the street works as an electrician and so he was able to install a charging station in my garage and he only charged me what his costs were.

4. carraigbhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Yes, when the apartments were handed over, they had PAYG meters fitted, to get the EV overnight tariff, they had to fit a new meter and I had to sign up to a regular account, You can still get the regular EV tariff with a card meter, but the unit price is higher

Unit rate prices
    Effective unit excl. VAT Effective unit incl. VAT
    Night rate 17.55p 18.43p
    Day rate 32.85p 34.49p
    Standing charge 9.32p 9.79p

Last edited: Nov 1, 2023
    paulie walnuts likes this.
  5. carraigbhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Yea, unbelievably ! a guy who had just moved in to one of the apartments a week before I had it fitted announced that he actually worked in an electrical supplier company, and had he known, he could have got me the equipment with his discount and the 50 M of armoured cable for free :31:

6. leeso-ardoyne

What size armoured cable? If it's 10sq that's would have been some saving. I'm near sure I paid 10 or 11e a mtr for 25mtrs if it just a few weeks ago.

7. evilbunny1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    I drive a Mustang Mach E extended range AWD. Had it for over a year now. 0-62mph speed talking less than 5 seconds.

Initial 0-30 is insane speed then drops off 30-60 due to some power limitation by design I think otherwise you’d get * all range. The Mustang has a good range but not because of its efficiency, it has a gigantic battery.

I have a charger at the house. Use EV overnight with Octopus it’s 7.5p per KWh. So for my battery (90 KW) it costs £6.75 to charge.

Never really had a * clenching moment re charge as always plan where I’m going to charge if going long distance.

I think 10/12 years is doable if the investment is there and there is a cohesive plan. However much like smart meters and fibre broadband the government says one thing and some places still live like the dark ages with slow internet speeds or no 4/5g coverage.

eire4, Sgt Neppers* and PaulM1888 like this.
  8. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    In theory, yes I do, in practice can’t see it happening for a much longer period when it becomes more feasible.

I’ve not read into it overly, are hybrids allowed and just purely petrol/diesel not allowed or is it a shift to purely electric?

9. Onefootwonder

Electric or hydrogen new car sales only.

There will be no new hybrids.

10. carraigbhoy Gold Member Gold Member

I think it was 6mm Leeso

11. leeso-ardoyne

Still a few quid fir thst cable.

carraigbhoy likes this.
  12. Zanderama

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ALL OF THEM!!!!
    Is it true the batteries in electric cars can't be replaced?

13. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Sorry my mistake , thought it was about *

14. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Was at a Tesla open day yesterday before the Celtic game. The new Model 3 is lovely, think that may be my next car when my deal is up next summer.

Also had a shot of a Model S Plaid. It is utterly, utterly, bonkers. Felt like being hooked in the back. Only sensation close to the acceleration in it is the Hulk rollercoaster in Universal or something along those lines. No production car even needs to have that amount of power.

Nah, one of a raft of myths perpetuated by those that don’t like their introduction.

Liam Scales likes this.
  15. Onefootwonder

They can be changed, but it is very expensive.

A driver in Edinburgh ruined his Tesla battery after driving through floods recently. His bill was £17,300.

16. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Devils advocate, what would the bill have been for a new engine on a similarly priced ICE car?

17. Zanderama

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ALL OF THEM!!!!
    I know absolutely hee haw about cars, but a Polish mechanic was telling me they can't be replaced, it's wielded in or something, so when the battery *, the car is useless. Think he said they last about 10-15 years, can't mind exactly what he said tho

18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I was in Tesla literally yesterday for a workshop demonstration plus my youngest brother is a Tesla tech, they are bolted to the car. A battery swap would be a case of undoing approx 30 bolts and a few connectors. Not to say they’re not expensive or ‘difficult’ to swap but it’s definitely not impossible.

Batteries degrade over time naturally but then how long do you get out of an ICE that’s used daily?

Zanderama likes this.
  19. Zanderama

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ALL OF THEM!!!!
    What's an ICE?

20. Onefootwonder

It's not really a like for like comparison. The question was related to battery degradation.

The cost to replace a battery that is no longer usable is over £17,000. That's not viable on an older car when the battery costs as much as the car is worth.

An old worn engine can be refurbished, repaired or replaced. BMW B58 engined cars are around the same price as a Model 3 or Y new. You can get a refurbished engine exchange for under £4000.

Looked after properly a good ICE will outlast the rest of the car.

FranceCelt and honda like this.