1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Marco Tilio

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Mr Shelby, Jun 30, 2023.

Discuss Marco Tilio in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

I get your point overall, but you talk about Forrest like he doesnt set a high standard. He's a top professional.

FrankMcCallum likes this.
  2. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    He's come from the A league which is probably the same standard as league of Ireland, bit better maybe. I don't think there was any doubt he'd struggle to make an impact straight away. Celtic train at a champions league level.

Look at Christie and Scales for example, struggled at first with the step up but stuck with it and turned out well.. he still has time on his side just about.

Doubt we will see much of him this season though.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  3. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Maybe if he comes back fit before jan get him loaned out to a well/aberdeen/or any of the other teams who like to press high at the moment

Crilly likes this.
  4. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    It's guys like yourself that keep frothing mate, every 3rd post moaning about the transfer window while we're sitting chilled out knowing we're on the right track :BR1:

5. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Is this an Aussie thing?

I know we train at a different level, but it's starting to look like a pattern

Tam was a border line sick note, Arzani; ACL, Viduka; fat lazy *, mooy; took a few months to get up to speed and then retired with a bad back...

Now Tilio...

Just sayin. Is the training too intense? The game too physical?

6. Rogicisgod

Gives me no pleasure to see him struggle, injury has held him back. Not his fault at all.

But the jury is still out on whether he is good enough to don the hoops. Looks like Brendan doesn't rate him talking about the big transition.

I am not sure about this one lads.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

7. Foley1888

Still a bit to go to January but for me we need to be clever with our loan strategy. By the time we get to the January break we will likely have a far lighter schedule the second half of the season, it seems unlikely we have any Euro football and you only really play a few midweek fixtures after they catch up the fixture after the break.

So the opportunities for guys like Tilio, Kwon, Kobayashi, Bernabei (I would try sell really), possibly Holm, and Welsh are all going to be very limited. If we got another striker then add Oh to the above.

We should be looking to get them out and playing regular minutes preferably SPFL teams but for the likes of Kwon I would even consider Admira Wacker for him as I think he’s miles off it.

8. FrankMcCallum

Aye that’s harsh on Forrest on reflection.

He is a top pro.

Just more that Rodgers was talking like he was going to be phased out when he arrived. Now he’s our first choice off the bench. Played well right enough.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2023
    Zander likes this.
  9. Mr Cleansheets

Tilio came into the side injured so is behind from that perspective.

But overall, SPL is played at a faster pace than the AL mainly due to the conditions - AL mainly played during the Oz summer, sometimes with a drinks break in the middle of the half. The grounds are harder and faster which means muscles have been acclimatised to those conditions over a lifetime of playing.

If a player then moves to the SPL (or most other Euro leagues) they will be playing in colder conditions on softer pitches. This is where the soft tissue injuries abound as the muscles adjust to those very different conditions. The ball behaves differently to what a player is used to, and worst of all - they have less time to make decisions as they're closed down much more quickly than they were in the AL.

This takes getting used to - typically a season or more. Viduka, McDonald, Rogic, Mooy were all excellent Celtic players. Arzani would have been, I'm certain, if not for his catastrophic injury.

Tilio has the quality. It's all about whether and how quickly he can adjust.

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  10. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

I wouldn't disregard this point as it seems a valid point but I do have an alternative prospective.

Perhaps he is quite a decent player that just doesn't fit Brendan's football. Tillio for me, feels like it may have been an Ange target (as with a few of them) and the scouts advised Brendan to continue with the business. Highly speculative I know but I cannot see many valid reasons for how this is planning out so far.

Like other stated though, we been here with a few of past Aussie players where they do take their time coming into the starting line-up, which certainly add credibility to your comments regarding playing conditions

11. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    He might be talented but sadly this is what happens when you sign projects and don't go for a bit more proven quality.

I'm not surprised. The chances of him being a dud are far higher than the other scenario.

Kwon in the same bracket. Jury out on Oh and Yang too. Iwata looks OK but I don't think he's a game changer.

We really need to try something different in January.

12. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Ffs man this is one of your worst posts. The only one you can attach any blame to there is Viduka.

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  13. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    You mean spend some actual money? Not a chance imo.

Why thank you good sir lol

14. Mr Cleansheets

What the * is happening with Tilio?

He is a winger who definitely knows how to get to the goal line and hit hard low crosses away from the keeper. Kyogo needs someone like him.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  15. Foley1888

Surely he is capable of doing more than what Forest showed last night? We play against low blocks on a big pitch and Tilio strength is meant to be creativity.

If he can’t produce enough in training to get a go the now I am not sure he ever will.

16. Mr Cleansheets

Two footed, fast, excellent vision and passing, can finish also. Was it a hamstring injury? If it was a bad one it might take a while to get his running confidence back, although he looked alright in that one B game he played.

It was Ange who wanted him, and he's very much an Ange style player - particularly good at getting in behind and playing hard low crosses. Maybe he doesn't suit Brendan? Maybe Brendan's given him instructions at training which are alien to the way he likes to play and he's struggling with it?

* knows, I'm guessing, but I've seen enough of him to know he can do a job for Celtic.

17. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Rodgers has said he’s struggling to adapt.

Alarm bells ringing already.

18. PaddyJamieson

If he can't even get in the match day squad at this stage there's very, very little chance he'll make it. That's just the reality. Ship him out on loan in Jan and see what happens.

martin_d likes this.
  19. PaddyJamieson

@LectersLuncheon got pelters for suggesting it, but I do think it's likely that a part of it is the pace and physicality of Scottish football. It's high tempo here, if not high quality at times, and our training will be so intense compared to what he's used to in Australia. I'm not patronising the league here, I just think it's probably the truth. Different if you come into a lower SPFL team from the A-League, but the tempo and physical conditioning required at Celtic is another level.

20. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Tbf mate, I was merely asking the question.

There seems to be an issue, imo at least with players from Oz. With the exception of McDonald , who'd been operating in Scotland for 3 years before we got him, it's hard to find an Oz player that hasn't had issues with fitness.

Maybe Viduka, but then again he "never gave 100% at Celtic".

*Asshat.

But the question for me remains. Is it Scotland, or Celtic?

Think u hit the nail on the head. We operate and train at an elite level, and if you're coming from a less "intense" environment, ie China, Oz etc, there seems to be an issue, or at least a period of adaption.

Lifestyle, diet and conditioning are absolutely paramount in the modern game. Especially with the scandalous amount of games players are expecting to fulfil.
    Which is why I think players from the likes of Japan and Korea are less likely to break down as much.

It's maybe something a proper sports science department could look at. I'm not sure we even have one at this point.