1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you agree with the ban on new petrol and diesel cars from 2035?

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by BigManSmalls, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Do you agree with the ban on new petrol and diesel cars from 2035? in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. BigManSmalls

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    My bad soz, I thought it was obvious that the ban was for new petrol and diesel cars...

2. horseshoe

Why would it be obvious, nothing in your post alludes to it, you literally said "If we aren't fully renewable now, there is no chance we will be in 2035" which isn't the target.

3. BigManSmalls

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    upload_2023-10-31_11-36-17.png

4. Conjuring_Obey Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley song
    The bit that annoys me is the constant harassment of drivers who rely on a petrol or diesel car to live all while they don’t introduce the infrastructure for people to live otherwise. Like 20mph speed limits that are designed to annoy drivers into giving up their car due to frustration.

In the area I live public transportation is unusable because very few services run and if you work passed 8 o’clock good luck getting home.

Forestbhoy66 likes this.
  5. BigManSmalls

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I thought it was obvious that they are not banning people from using their ICE cars in 2035. It's a ban on new ICE cars. Sorry for the confusion. Hopefully an admin can add the word "new" to the title.

My point on renewable energy sources remains valid. Look at our energy usage over the past week in the UK
    upload_2023-10-31_11-41-52.png

If we are going to add hundreds of thousands of EVs that will rely on the grid, what energy source do you think will be used to provide the additional power? We will be using more power than we ever have before and it seems inevitable that we will be turning to coal and gas to plug the gap.

Batteries from China and coal and gas to charge them. Not very eco-friendly if you ask me.

6. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Seen as motorsport is a hobby of mine it’s a big fat no from me.

Eventually these fossil fuels will start running out which is obviously a concern but i’m not sure if making alcohol based fuel is a good alternative

7. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Anyone drove an EV on here, specifically a fast one? The Plaid is utterly ridiculous, it’s a spaceship. But even a dual motor Tesla, they are efficient, quiet and ferociously quick.

There’s a general consensus feel from the majority that they’re a bad thing but at least in part I think that’s because for some they’re unachievable and for others they’ve simply never drove one.

8. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I can tell you I bought my first EV last December so I have had it almost a year and I absolutely love it. Wouldn't touch an ICE car after having driven an EV. I have a Mustang Mach E. Different driving modes depending on the weather and of course AWD which you have to have living here in the north as I do. When its nice out I drive it in unbridled mode which is the faster mode. The car blows most ICE cars out of the water in how fast it can go. Comparing my electric Mustang to even the fastest ICE Mustang the zero to 60 times are roughly the same. I love driving without needing to use the break pedal as well.

PaulM1888 likes this.
  9. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Drove a fairly basic model, think it was an MG and it was surprisingly quick for a normal car. Probably Fiesta st quick upto 60mph. Think a high performance version would be pish if thats what it was bought for though

10. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

If you want straight line speed almost nothing touches a Plaid S or X right up to supercars.

11. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Aye thats true, if you were using it on track ect would be a different story

12. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Plaid S will do the Nurburgring in less than 7 and a half mins.

Top 2 laps of all time on same track have been a Porsche hybrid and a VW all electric!

eire4 likes this.
  13. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    From what i could see on the official laptimes, the fastest all electric car which has over 1,800hp did it in 7:05s which is a fraction quicker than a gt3 rs with about 1300hp less :giggle1:

The Plaid which costs around ~100k doing a lap in 7:35 isn’t really all that impressive tbh. Your talking 4-5 seconds faster than a type r or megane rs but at triple the cost.

I wouldn’t be against the idea of a hybrid though, best of both worlds really.

14. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

VW ID-R all electric, second fastest of all time 6 mins 5 secs. Only beaten by a 919 hybrid.

Also, without even checking, there is absolutely no chance a 30 grand Type R or Megane RS are doing a lap in 7 mins 40 seconds!

15. paulie walnuts Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    The 20mph zones tend to be in housing areas and near schools to protect children and pedestrians.
    Why would you give up your car because of a 20mph speed limit?

Twisty and Conjuring_Obey like this.
  16. Conjuring_Obey Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley song
    There was a few zones around an area I had to drive in for a while during lockdown that were not residential but the limits were down to 20 just because it was implemented everywhere else. Multiple petitions later and the 40mph was restored.

In some areas it really makes no sense to have a 20mph like when it’s not a danger to people or surrounding areas. It’s obvious in some regions they do it to try and tempt people out of cars just because of the frustration and tedium driving slow brings. Myself I can’t give up my car for any reason as the public transport options are just not feasible so I just deal with it.

JamesM09 likes this.
  17. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go and check the road legal laptimes

New Civic type r 7:39.69 Megane Rs 7:40.10 and thats them stock, easy to add another 80-100hp in most modern turbo cars.

18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

How much are they both out the wrapper?

19. BigManSmalls

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Just watched the lap for the Type R. Insane lap, the thing is on the limit at almost every corner.

AdamRS likes this.
  20. carraigbhoy Gold Member Gold Member

I downsized to a G/F apartment last year, Ive just had a charger installed on a fence beside where my EV is parked, (Ive tried to upload a pic, but can't) Its controlled by an app, so people can't nick power from it. I had to pay extra to have an armoured cable run out to the location from my consumer unit. This all cost £1500.00 for installation. I did ponder how much charging I could have got from public chargers for that amount of money, but the counter benefit is that I have been able (via the cars, and app timers) to get a comparatively lower overnight EV rate from my current provider. Overall, Im very happy with the outcome.

eire4 likes this.