1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you agree with the ban on new petrol and diesel cars from 2035?

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by BigManSmalls, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Do you agree with the ban on new petrol and diesel cars from 2035? in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. BigManSmalls

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Couldn't see a thread on EVs.

I'm personally heavily against the mandating of electric vehicles for a multitude of what I think are obvious reasons.

EVs are heavily reliant on technology and manufacturing from China. A major bottleneck and a single point of failure in the supply chain.

Rapid transformation of the grid will be required. There will need to be substantial upgrades with many additional powerlines, pylons, and charging stations. I don't think this will be done well enough or on time.

The extra power required will not be from renewable sources. If we aren't fully renewable now, there is no chance we will be in 2035 when we are adding the significant increase in electricity demand due to EV batteries. EVs will still be powered by fossil fuels. It will be the only option. Fast charging stations powered by diesel generators, no doubt.

We do not have a workforce skilled enough to undertake the massive changes required.

We also can't guarantee that the infrastructure we build will be able to keep up with the rapid change in technology. New generations of EVs and charging infrastructure are released frequently, and the grid management systems need to keep up to support these technologies.

2. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

You can’t obtain petrol and diesel from a renewable source so the cord is going to need to be cut at one point because it’s a finite resource even disregarding the environmental issues which are many and nuanced.

Hammy89 likes this.
  3. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Where do the people who don't have a driveway going to charge the car?

4. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    We do need to cut down on our reliance for fossil fuels, when you look at the garage that is caused manufacturing all the batteries that have a life of 10 years in electric cars, we need to cut the emissions on petrol and diesel cars, how this is done via better filtration I don’t know. Harmful Co2 must be pumped back into obsolete reservoirs in the North Sea.
    What is obvious is that 1 size does not fit all but all countries must participate.
    No point Europe doing its thing when the US, Russia, China and India are pumping pollutants into the atmosphere.

5. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I am an early adopter in terms of having bought my first EV last December and I do support moving cars away from fossil fuels to electricity. Obviously lots of infrastructural work that needs to happen between now and 2035 and that is the key to make this a successful transition.

Tim-Time 1888 likes this.
  6. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Where do people, who don’t have a petrol station next door to them, fuel up the car/vehicle… I imagine this, or very similar, was said by some folk when combustion engines started to replace steam engines/horse and carts….

7. Onefootwonder

Petrol and diesel cars aren't banned from 2035. There are no brand new petrol or diesel car sales from 2035.

The government have already pushed the date back five years. I wouldn't be surprised in five years time if the date is moved further back.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2023
  8. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Gonna be a right * needing to fill up with a que of 50 cars and 2 charging stations taking ages per charge :56:

9. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

“Gonna be a right * needing to fill up with a queue of 50 cars and only 2 hand pumps to pump the fuel into these cars …” :86:

:giggle1:

honda likes this.
  10. paulie walnuts Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    I think that EVs are a good idea but we’re a long way away from being ready to ban new petrol and diesel cars.
    The government delaying it till 2035 has given the impression that their not taking this very seriously after all and, as posted above, wouldn’t be surprised if it’s pushed further and further back.

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  11. paulie walnuts Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    When the public chargers in Scotland were free to use there were already queues and fights to use them. Funnily enough since councils started charging rip off prices for them and stupid over stay fines, most of them now sit unused.

singer61 likes this.
  12. BigManSmalls

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    A 100 year old pump would still only take a few minutes, no?

Even if it took 10 minutes, still much faster than waiting for a horse to take a nap.

13. BigManSmalls

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    2035 is just back line with the full NetZero agenda in the EU.

The smart thing would be to mandate industry to uptake first. All transport/logistic companies should be the first to take the hit. Not the taxpayer.

14. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Ah right enough… the delivery system will simply never improve or speed up eh….
    (Ps you’ve never used a hand pump have you.)

Indeed! because the consumer(tax payers) won’t take any financial hit because the transport/logistics companies will take any potential hit themselves I guess…

if your going to constantly complain about something it would be a good idea to actually think about the objection and it’s relevance/likelihood.

15. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    At the moment the infrastructure is against those that don't. However 12 years to improve the infrastructure should be achievable. Also the technology of batteries and chargers will greatly improve by then.

Tim-Time 1888 likes this.
  16. celtic warrior

Naively I just don't see what difference it makes financially to the normal everyday person, regardless of any environmental impact.

Manufacturers, "petrol" stations, electricity suppliers would just find a way to make cost the same if not more, than what current petrol prices are to ensure profits are made.

FranceCelt likes this.
  17. leeso-ardoyne

Will I put my tin foiled hat on for this thread :smoke:

18. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Don’t think I could pump a 100 year old to be honest…

Lecs and BigManSmalls like this.
  19. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

Not with that attitude you couldn't

FrankMcCallum and Doogs. like this.
  20. horseshoe

Should probably edit the title/poll a bit, since petrol and diesel cars aren't banned from 2035, it's a bit hard to vote for/against something that isn't actually happening.