1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Couscous

⬆️ The above post is a long way of saying: "I know Ange better than he does; let me explain what he meant."

VT8 likes this.
  2. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    What else he can say is he was hired to do a job and done it well like he always has everywhere he’s went. Watch him back in his time here when he let the mask slip and the emotions take over, there was 4/5 times it happened and that wasn’t some faked facade, the stories he’s told of the club from him being younger and knowing of us and results and history was never offered up as ‘one and the same as the fans’. He shared stuff and his appreciation he had for us before he was manager, when it wasn’t currying favour or in serious interviews about games.

There’s nothing fake about the man for me. And he wouldn’t try and keep up a fake fondness for us when he’s in a massive job in England if he didn’t actually believe the words he was saying, he’d just shoot down the journalist with a ‘cmon mate’ like we’ve seen hundreds of time before.

He’s not a young manager, it took him a long time to get into the position he has. As he’s also pointed out recently.

I can’t fault his ambition and ability when it was the exact thing we adored about him at us

craigtheceltic, VT8, Wllm and 4 others like this.
  3. PaddyJamieson

I'm trying my best, mate...

Genuinely though I've not found it this hard to move on from a manager before. Still gutted about it 4 months on.

4. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

A lot of words for nothing.

He obviously cherishes his time here. If not for us taking a punt on him, he wouldn’t be where he is now.

You’re reading into it all far too much.

NomDePlum likes this.
  5. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    This is how I see it.
    No concrete evidence or anything.

But he had that meeting with the pair of them, then within two weeks rumours where circulating about spurs.

For me, you don't have those sort of talks, rumours was of £30m kitty, training ground improvements and analysis rooms etc, then go tell your agent to sniff out jobs.

Spurs rumours started for a reason. They materialises to something real, fair play to him for getting that gig.

But it would seem that the feel good rumours that we was going to back him, wasn't true.
    As at least proven by the fact we haven't done any of that even with Rodgers now.

We barely spent the Jota money, let alone the rumoured £30m.
    No improvements I'm aware of have been done at the training ground.

I'm sure Rodgers is likely still waiting for improvements he was told about his first stint.
    Domed pitches comes to mind.

Don't blame Ange and don't hold anything against him for leaving, at least it is to a "big" club.

He will do well, would love to see him win a major trophy in Europe

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

6. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    The evidence is right in front of you. It can’t get much clearer. On this occasion you’re waffling on without anything to actually back up your doubts.

7. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    The doubts go back to before he left us. What I was explaining (I don't agree with "waffling", because I spent a considerable time trying to make that post more concise) was why I had seen nothing to change my opinion. Evidence always has to be interpreted and it will typically be interpreted in terms of our current understanding. The question is whether the evidence is such that we need to update that understanding and in this case it isn't, for reasons I explained in that post.

Remember that what seems overwhelming evidence if you have one set of prior beliefs may or may not constiture relevant evidence if you have a different set of prior beliefs.

Since you see fit to criticise my post style, I'll return the favour and point you to Tony Ralston's post above, where he managed to disagree with me just as much as you do by making substantive points rather insulting the poster.

Liam Scales likes this.
  8. Smithy

They're in the pipeline, I tendered for the design a few weeks ago.

Peej and VT8 like this.
  9. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    There isn’t much more to say other than the evidence to prove you wrong is right there. You couldn’t be further off the mark here.

10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    You sir are a * :fear:

Random Review likes this.
  11. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Must be why I love myself so much. :p

Liam Scales likes this.
  12. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I don't think you have quite understood what I was trying to say. Look, let's take Rodgers as an easy example. Please note that I am not equating Ange and Rodgers in any way, it's just that it's easy to see with Rodgers because he is a clear bullshitter (albeit that I am right behind his reappointment because of his quality as a coach and a manager). Let's imagine a disagreement between old me from pre-February 2019 (who bought into all his patter) and current me (who takes everything he says with a massive grain of salt).

Rodgers on his return in July: I must have watched nearly every Celtic game since I left.

Current me: you see! There's the most blatant example of bullshitting you could ask for! Surely now you can see it.
    Old me: you see! He does love us!

The point here is that what Rodgers said (while probably helpful in resolving other debates) does nothing to solve this particular one. It provides no evidence either way and so each me will interpret it in terms of their current opinion. Why does it provide no evidence eiher way? Well:

Chances of hearing Rodgers say this if he sincerely loves Celtic: pretty good.
    Chances of hearing Rodgers say this if he is a bullshitter: pretty good.

Now Ange is no bullshitter; but the answer he gave to what was clearly a question about his time here is pretty much what I would expect to hear regardless of whether your opinion of the man is right or mine is. It tells us nothing. Or rather, it told us nothing (see the point that Tony Ralston made quoted below which changes that a bit).

To compare that with evidence that actually does help us to choose, let's go back to Rodgers.

"Yoto was a great player for Celtic." (or whatever it was he said)

Current me: you see!
    Old me: oh, this does make your view a bit more likely and mine a bit less likely.

This actually moves the needle.

Chances of Rodgers not knowing Jota's name if he actually watched nearly every Celtic game: low.
    Chances of Rodgers not knowing Jota's name if he is a bullshitter: pretty good.

There was an argument like this in Devlin's post that (while 1 single line of argument is never going to convince me completely) did make me change the relative probabilities I give to our diferent views:

This is actually a fair point, that does sound like something Ange would say.

13. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I understand you. I just think you’re over analysing something very simple.

14. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Fair enough. We can add it being very simple onto the list of things we agree to disagree on. :56:

15. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Rose and Fred West's relationship wasn't analysed as much as ours with Ange.

16. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Smoke a doob mate. Take a load off :giggle1:

neilly1987 and Callum McGregor like this.
  17. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Maybe not by us. Random I'm not so sure :giggle1:

NomDePlum and Garrymac1888 like this.
  18. James Gold Member Gold Member

I couldn't care less if he loves us hates us or is completely indifferent to us he was a massive success here and I for one still have massive respect for him. What is he meant to do whilst the Spurs manager bring us up in every interview and praise us ? Tierney ran about the Emirates with Celtic on his boots and it was beyond cringe

neilly1987 likes this.
  19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    And add it to the list of things you're wrong about. ;)

20. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry

It's a coping mechanism. :giggle1::(

Sean Daleer likes this.