1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Michael Nicholson

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Creativecelt, Dec 23, 2021.

Discuss Michael Nicholson in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

Tags:
  1. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    The way we've been run the last two years, both on and off the field, has been nothing short of phenomenal. Contimued donestic success, record profits and a squad full of excellent players who will make us a fortune in the future. Also a really impressive scouting setup thats getting us gems from asia and further abroad. The only thing missing is the Euro performances.

We lost a top manager and we go out and arguably get someone better.

He's done a fantastic job.

2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Still got a way to show he's better....despite what the stats show..

I remember him regularly struggling at some grounds. Ange either figured it out from the off or never made the same mistake twice..

Wllm likes this.
  3. oh bhoy

he is doing a * of a lot of catching up in terms of where a club of our stature should be , mentioned it elsewhere there seems to be a lot of good * happening .hes certainly getting pass marks

4. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Pass marks lol. Have a good weekend..

5. horseshoe

Where should a club of our stature be? History means * all against the money in europe these days. We're a big fish in a samll pond.

6. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Aye to be fair, Ange struggled once at Livingston and that was it, made them our easiest opponents during his second season.

At the same time, I don't think Rodgers will do the mental squad rotations on tough away games. To this day I still don't know what Ange was thinking in the 2-0 loss at St Mirren. Then you've got Ange throwing Kyogo on in a dead rubber, and practically giving up against Bodo in the second leg.

Either way, to even get a manager that's at least in contention of being better than Ange is some going by the board. Even Knutsen, who I really like, would have been a slight downgrade on Ange (despite those euro results)

McChiellini.. likes this.
  7. oh bhoy

we should not be making up numbers in europe ,if we are serious about making an impact in europe we are gonna need a few top players in . being competitive in the the champions league is where a club of our stature should be ,based on this season we aint a million miles away but we aint there yet. we are gonna see in this transfer window with who is bought and more importanty who is sold how serious we are about it

8. oh bhoy

its certainly not above and beyond

9. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I was pretty underwhelmed at his appointment, as it looked like another lazy "give it to someone that's already in place so we don't have to interview anyone" scenario from PL and the board. But he has certainly shown that is not the case.

It must have been frustrating as * for him in his previous role seeing how things were being run and knowing it all could, and should, have been so much better but not having the ability to change anything. He is making a positive difference now though and long may it continue.

Rydo1888* likes this.
  10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    He must be delighted Lawwell’s back as chairman, never seen a CEO for us get a by because how much the Chairmans there to blame

11. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Just seen my last post praising him, better times :54:

He has a lot to answer for this window, people will dogpile on Lawell and blame him for the mess, but a lot of this will be down to this guy.

Clearly had no plan past "bring Rodgers in and sign Ange's targets before he left". I don't think he's interfering with transfers like Lawell did, I just think he's been clueless the entire window.

All he had to do was help deliver a decent transfer window and he'd still be regarded well, instead he's helped deliver what is, at best, a 3/10 so far.

Hope he gets properly questioned during the fan media and we don't just fling all our blames onto Lawell.

12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Targets aren’t shouldn’t be down to him, he has provided a good few players. Ones that ‘were already in motion’ the two CB’s for decent fees for us in the £4m range are Rodgers signings for me 100%.

However, I don’t think any main targets we’ve wanted and I don’t know names it’s more a feeling, haven’t been successful. And now we are scrambling

13. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    All the praise he has had over the last 2 seasons now feels attributable to Ange.

Which likely means Rodgers is the most influential person when it comes to transfer policy :31:.

Say it's not so.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  14. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Ange was undoubtedly the biggest part of it, his men he wanted he identified and made sure he got them in early. And see the first window when we were similar to this season? He came out and done one of the best pressure on the board interviews I’ve ever seen and that was when I knew how good he’d be.

said along the lines ‘obviously I’m not doing my job good enough because it’s my job to make sure I have players there for me to use and make sure are brought in’

Blamed himself completely, slaughtering the board. Compare that to BR’s * about McGinn. He was right but he was stroppy, Ange was angry and sure it’s not * happening to him. And I can imagine him making sure they knew that everytime he met with the men in charge.

Thing is though, we couldn’t get a managers main targets in early this year. So I gave the benefit of the doubt, it’s not early anymore, it’s old lazy habits without somebody booting yer * out of it.

We’ve all been there at work I suppose, some gaffers get the most out of you and keep on you to make sure, some you can think ack * it do it tomorrow.

we’re at * it do it tomorrow i think

15. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    He's had the kind of transfer window that seen dom mckay sacked by October

16. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

From people more privy to where the balance of power lies within Parkhead than us, Lawwell has unyielding strength when he walks in the door no matter his job title.

It would be a mental level of coincidence then that him being back in the door has magically coincided with Nicholson not operating as quickly in the transfer market from Ange to Rodgers.

Without knowing the ins and outs, that’s the read I take from the outside whether it’s the case or not.

17. Guchi Gucci Gold Member Gold Member

My only hope is that this is the strategy - we felt we'd have much better options come the last 2 weeks and we felt we had enough, given it was a treble winning squad, to manage the first 5 games.

Either way, it's not played out well.

18. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    He's tied up in Peters basement untill Saturday. Anyone blaming him really hasn't been paying attention since 2003.

As for Rodgers, he has zero to lttle input from the noises he's made. He's there to coach what he's given.

As for strategy. There is no * strategy other than buy low sell high and load the squad with projects, then scramble about deadline week for loans and panic buys. Anges short stint was a break from the norm.

One step forward two steps back.. the Celtic way.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2023
    The Phoenix likes this.
  19. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    No * him, he doesn’t just get off lightly because PL is back in the door. * him, he’s the CEO, he’s either got to * or get off the pot. If he’s trembling because PL is the Chairman, then he’s no place being CEO, * him.

Pull your finger out!

Crilly, Ryanm1984 and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  20. paulie walnuts Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    It’s one of the reasons why a former CEO coming back as chairman is seen as bad corporate practice.
    Nicholson was doing fine and Lawwell shouldn’t have been allowed back. There would have been a whole stack of credible candidates for chairman.