1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Rocco Vata

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Liam Scales, Jul 8, 2021.

Discuss Rocco Vata in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. calmac23

I'd be disappointed if we lost Vata, looks extremely promising and could see him being a good player for us in a few years.

I just don't see where the minutes come from though, unless he plays on the left for us.

BhoyFitz likes this.
  2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    No new deal and just changed agency..

Usually a bad sign..

The_Bhoy, BhoyFitz, Peej and 3 others like this.
  3. Sentinel

Every single one of our youth players leaves. Sick of the sight of Ben Doaks name popping up on the Ex players that because he's "tearing it up".

They're either not good enough or too good these days.

4. Sgt Neppers*

All too common now for youngsters at Celtic. They don't see a path in to the first team so leave.

That needs to change. Vata absolutely needs to be playing for us more. Mcpherson and summers included. Easily our biggest prospects.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  5. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    That's him gone then ffs

6. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    This is exactly where we need to be proactive and have a “scholarship” type contract where we offer a kid with big potential to become a first team regular a big contract, matching the type of contracts handed out down south for our youngsters. It’s the only way we can keep the likes of Doak and Vata.

7. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Again who could blame him. He got nothing last season. Him and Summers weren't in the squad for the cup final, got only 39 minutes the whole season and none after we won the league. Summers only got 13 minutes and 11 of them were against Aberdeen.

I think staying with Celtic past 18 just holds your career back.

8. Taxman Lights of Lisbon Gold Member

He'll be gone, I'm sure of that.

The problem is we go after guys like Tilio (who I think looks decent enough) for £1.5m when we have guys like Vata who have shown clear talent, not getting a chance.

If we want to sign a first team signing that will slot in immediately and pay a big price for them, that's totally understandable. But when we sign guys like Tilio for example -- our own young talent like Vata won't get the chance they need and inevitably leave.

A bit silly paying a couple million for young prospects as projects when we have one in our own youth setup who'd be desperate for a chance.

If he goes Italy where there's rumoured interest, I bet he becomes a very good player in a few years.

The_Bhoy and Westlondonscot like this.
  9. Waiting For An Alibi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Johnston
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    We're damned if we do, and damned if we don't in this situation. If we don't give him enough minutes, he will look for football elsewhere. If we have faith in the lad, then people will call the club out for not buying a more experienced guy, with the money we have made.

Finding the balance is the hard part.

10. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    The club are in a near impossible position at the moment with the B Team not playing at anywhere near a high enough level to work as a proper pathway into the first team. It’s massively detrimental to Scottish football as a whole that we’re limiting the development of our best young players and it’s only forcing them down south or abroad earlier.

The Admira Wacker partnership could prove extremely valuable, but I’d love to see us also do something similar with a League of Ireland team and even form those strong links with another Scottish club (if we keep hitting a wall with letting our B team progress up the leagues). If we could get three young players out to each of those links every season, we’d be in a far better position to properly develop youngsters and give them a clear pathway.

The_Bhoy, Crilly, Hammy89 and 2 others like this.
  11. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    McPherson has at least gone on loan to Austria. He's athletic, like the look of him..

The rumours of Vata on loan to the sheep were promising as *. Signing a new deal and immediately going up there for a season would've been ideal for his development. I hope that happens..

Same with Summers who's a classy baller..

No lower league moves. The latter two are more than good enough to be playing regularly in our top flight on loan..

Hammy89 and Sgt Neppers* like this.
  12. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    18 and is he good enough for us?

Plenty of 18-20 year olds we end up signing as projects and get a fair amount of game time.

So, is he good enough? I ask of the club.

If he is, give him the game time and stop signing 6 wingers in his place that means he doesn't get game time and a path way to first team action.

Alternatively, if we think he's borderline and not quite ready, * loan him lit already and to a decent level

Sick of seeing our youth going to Greenock Morton, LoI, Arbroath or some nonsense and not getting remotely the correct level of experience.

These plays need to be at an English championship side for s year, or the sheep or the likes.

Get him signed to a 5 year deal, loaned to the sheep, promise that if he smashes it at the sheep, he comes back in as worst case our rotational right winger behind Abada next season.
    He then knows in two years time he should be replacing Abada and the number one right winger at the club.

Doesn't smash it enough for us, he's at least put himself in the shop window and gained valuable experience.

Absolutely a dead end club at times so we are, regarding youth development.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

13. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Yeah, as Tilio is unlikley to get first team minutes and is injured anyway I don't understand why he was signed when we could have offered money to Vata to stay and say you're getting minutes. Postecoglou gave nothing to youth last season, sad really.

Taxman likes this.
  14. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

He’ll leave just like any other promising youngster. What’s the point in staying? You’ll not get a sniff until the leagues done, then back into obscurity for a few months.

We don’t give youth a proper chance anymore, we just buy players for a couple of million and play them.

Peej likes this.
  15. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Probably cause all the good players get took as soon as they turn 16 now, English teams can pay boys like that £5/6/8/10k a week and we can't compete.

Like Doak is supposedly on £10k a week at Liverpool, we'd never have gave him that plus he probably got a good signing bonus and is it a 5 year contract. Liverpool can throw away £3-4million over 5 years on a guy who might never cut it but for us that a good first team squad members wage. Plus then its the having to pay everyone more, other boys might think "aye Doak is the best player in the youth team but £10k a week and im on £500 I want £1.5k at least."

FIFA should bring in a rule that guys who move from one country to another can't be registered until they are 18 like they have for some South American, African and Asian countries they don't let players move until they are 18. I think they did that because sometimes like Chinese players would go to Europe at 14 and then at 16/17 they'd be released as they didn't make it.

If that rule was worldwide then it would stop English teams or anyone signing our youth players as soon as they can where we can't compete with the wages and are essentially just being robbed.

16. Paradise_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    we’re in a no win situation with this as the pressure on us to win all the time is high and that makes it a bit reluctant on management to give youth as much of a chance in my view of it. Is he better than what we had last year to give a chance to. If he plays and we lose games fans go mental boss gets * and abuse for not playing the best team so what do we do

17. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    they didn't even get a sniff when the league was done and dusted.
    If you can pay projects from abroad a few grand a week and pay 1-2m for them then we can afford to give Vata more money and a proper development plan.

Luis1967 likes this.
  18. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    There is absolutely nothing we could offer Doak that Liverpool couldn't. It's just reality. If a team like Liverpool come in for any of our players, chances are they go.

19. James Gold Member Gold Member

Having a B team in the lowland league is utterly pointless. The gap from lowland league to Premier is far to wide to bridge and even at that if they make 5 apps for the first team they are no longer eligible for the B team which just seem utterly backwards. By the time you hit 18 if you're a promising youth like Vata realistically you know game time for the first team will be limited which is understandable. His options if he stays is stay here this season and play pub teams with the odd appearance in the first team or get out on loan and show his level.

For me the B team is the definition of cutting your nose to spite your face

20. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    My understanding is Doak is a Celtic fan, so you can offer something, playing for Celtic which is every bhoys dream. Everyone said he left here because of the money, so if we can offer the money and a pathway to the first team then we do have something. Doak went into the u/19’s to start down there. We showed him he could play for us but everyone said it came down to wages.

So if it’s wages only, we need to set up a “scholarship” that will match wages. It’s not a “scholarship” that gets handed out to every youth player, nor every year, it should be designed to be handed out to the very best, the absolute special gems. It should be something that’s not a given, but it should be established in the culture of the club that the senior players and youth players accept it as part of our way of bringing through youth. If and when it gets handed out, it should be absolutely celebrated, from the top of the club down, make a big deal of it.

If we constantly throw our hands up and give up, we’ll never keep our kids and we’ll never have anymore homegrown players. What’s the worst that could happen, Doak says no to that… well I don’t have news for you because he said no to our lack of effort in trying to keep him.

RabS likes this.