1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Daizen Maeda

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Dec 31, 2021.

Discuss Daizen Maeda in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Think is with him, he puts in a shift and is the player you need to get up and down to help with defending.

Which will be handy to have when playing in Europe if we get a manager in who can switch it up.

His end product at times is shocking but for the money we spent and what he has contributed he’s done well to be fair.

2. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    He is a horrible footballer. Been holding back on commenting for a while ....but his touch , execution , decision making is abysmal. He's fast and a grafter. We need far better. Much prefer Abada.

Belgian_lad likes this.
  3. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    Kyogo is class. Maeda deserves the criticism for what he does/doesn't do on the pitch.

4. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Maeda has completely out performed Abada this season.

5. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Daizen Maeda’s latest interview was released this morning in Japan
    , so I will share it. He looked back on his experience in Qatar World Cup and his own development in SPFL this season, and talked about his future goals…

The Celtic attacker talked about his experience at Qatar World Cup with Japan at the end of 2022.

To be honest, I don’t remember much about Qatar World Cup anymore, and I only remember it when someone asks me about it in interviews like this. I feel like the World Cup is really a long time ago,” Maeda said.

Since our team lost the game against Croatia in Qatar World Cup, I think all players of our team has been doing what we should for next World Cup. We can’t move forward if we can’t get over that experience.

“Throughout the World Cup, I felt that while the strength of our team is that can play faithfully to our tactics, we can’t win games in the World Cup without developing more skills. I’m taking that reality seriously now and thinking about what we can do as a team from now on.

“So, it may cause a misunderstanding to say that I have already forgotten my frustrating experience at the World Cup, but I’m sure I’ve been moving forward with getting my head out of the clouds.”

And, it seems that Daizen started a new challenging at Celtic after the Qatar World Cup. He talked about it while looking back on this season.

“In this season, I initially have a goal of 10 assists and 10 goals, but I couldn’t achieve it. I feel that I still have to develop,” the Celtic star admitted. “In fact, after the Qatar World Cup, I have challenged to do thing that are different from what I have done so far at Celtic. To be honest, I remember it more than any results of games and any goals in the league.”

“I’ve been focusing on improving my crossball and skills of one-on-one from the side. That part is the biggest change that happened to me after the World Cup.”

Daizen also talked about the specific coaching he has received in one-on-one guidance from Celtic coach Harry Kewell throughout this season and revealed that the two would analyse Maeda’s play together while watching videos after each game. Daizen talked about great impact on him from Kewell’s assessment of his play.

“Kewell told me to battle against opponent ‘s players without hesitation if it was one-on-one situation against opponents.

“Until he told me that, I tended to choose to pass the ball under such circumstances. However, with his guidance, I was able to challenge one-on-one battle against opponent’s players first without fear of being deprived of the ball by opponents. Now I keep that in mind during games,” Daizen said.

I also learned from his coaching guidance how to effectively use my sprint technique, which is my own greatest strength. If I keep running at 100% speed all the time during games, it will be easier for opponent’s players to deal with my movements. Instead of just continuing to run at the same speed, I started training with the awareness of increasing my speed suddenly after stopping. By doing so, I have been able to make use of my sprint technic more effectively than before,” Daizen Maeda explained.

It seems that it was a big event in his career that Daizen has was able to develop as a player under the guidance by Harry Kewell. He has always insisted that wants to play as FW since the days at Yokohama F. Marinos, but he said that his way of thinking has gradually changed at Celtic.

“As FW, I often try to play aggressively against the backline opponent and move behind the opposition’s defender, but as winger, I have many opportunities to face situation that I battle one-on-one. As winger, I feel the pleasure of playing when I can dribble over opponent or give good crossball to my teammates from side. I used to want to play as FW, but now playing as winger has also become a lot of fun. I want to continue to do my best in the position given to me by the manager.”

Based on these, he talked about his future goals in Japanese national team, which has many opportunities to play as centre forward, as follows.

“I have many FW rivals in the national team, but I don’t hate the competition with them. I only focus on myself and do my best. And I want to develop more, and want other players who compete with me to develop too. By doing so, I think Japanese national team can become even stronger.”

Last edited: Jun 12, 2023
  6. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo

Scored less goals
    Assisted less goals
    Played more games

Interested to know in what way he outperformed Abada.... Ran about like a headless chicken more??

1 of the major positives if Rodgers gets the job is there is absolutely no chance he'll have such a limited footballer anywhere near the starting 11

Big C likes this.
  7. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    A difference of 2 goals and 2 assists, 2 appearances. Very little in it in terms of raw numbers.

I'll do you the courtesy of assuming you know football is more than just numbers. Maeda's work rate and pressing was far more valuable to us this season than what Abada contributed outside of goals. When Abada wasn't scoring or assisting, he was a ghost on the pitch. I think I can recall him beating a man once all season. Maeda has his flaws too but he was one of the key components of our success with his off the ball work.

8. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    I like Maeda..there I said it!

9. celtic warrior

It's frustrating one for me personally, because Maeda is everything to me, I just * love him so much and his work off the ball is or at least was, incredibly crucial to Ange's style.

But I do feel for Abada a little as for potency when it comes to sheer amount of goals I do feel Jota down the left, Kyogo up top and Abada down the right is just lethal

And I know I'm falling into the argument and going down the road of thinking of football as a numbers game but Maeda had 18 goal involvements from 2805 minutes of football.

Abada had 22 goal involvements from 2082 minutes of football.

I don't think it is unreasonable to have hope in that given previous form we can read on with Abada... that if he had a real extended run in the team as has been given to my boy Maeda... Abada could have been clearing closer to 25+ goal involvements and still has room to grow given his young age.

I'm conflicted between the two personally... Maeda is one of my favourite players ever, but in Abada I see a player with an incredible ceiling that we are somewhat diminishing as he doesn't get quite enough of continuous game time

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  10. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    It’ll be okay because both will be getting transfers away this summer anyway. so we won’t have that dilemma next season!

11. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    They've both made a big contribution, without a doubt. I'd be happy with a similar return from both next season, assuming they're both still here.

celtic warrior likes this.
  12. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I would gladly see the back of Meada personally, one of the most frustrating players in a long long time.

13. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Overtakes starfelt for me for the unjustified criticism.. was flying for us from post world cup to early spring when the league was in the melting pot

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

14. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    800 minutes. Nearly 9 games more.

His pressing was far more important?? We have 80% of the ball most games, iv never known an attacker who's talked up so much for his defensive ability but that's probably due to his lack of attacking ability.

As iv said managers like Rodgers will want far more ability from their attackers than what Maeda has so should see a lot less of him going forward.

15. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    Got a feeling he's one that could move on if BR comes in. He's very loose in possession, would expect to see more Abada.

Rydo1888* and Ryanm1984 like this.
  16. Lewis Kerr

Abada is just as loose in possession as Maeda. He's a better goalscorer but equally poor on the ball.

neilly1987 likes this.
  17. Buster Gold Member Gold Member

We've just won the treble and the manager has used us as a stepping stone to bigger things and l can't understand the dislike towards the wee "Bond villain" in here. He is what he is, if he was that brilliant he'd have been away last year.

18. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I’d always expect a winger 4 years older to be have a better sense of when to recycle the ball, Abada’s loose possession isn’t down to his ability to do it, it’s down to picking and choosing his moments to take a man on. Maeda’s is down to being erratic.

Ryanm1984 likes this.
  19. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

https://www.daily.co.jp/soccer/2023/06/13/0016470049.shtml?pg=2

Japan representative FW Maeda vows to get revenge in March after leaving midway through injury "Next time, if I can show my frustration on this stage

On the 13th, the Japan national soccer team held their second training camp in Chiba City for the ``Kirin Challenge Cup 2023'' (the match against El Salvador on the 15th at Aichi's Toyota Stadium, and the match against Peru on the 20th at Osaka's Panasonic Stadium Suita). , Celtic FW Daizen Maeda (25) pledged to take revenge in March.

Due to the injury sustained in the league match in March, he was called up and withdrew from the middle of the match. "Next time, I think it would be good if I could show my disappointment on this stage."

As a team, he contributed to three domestic titles, and said, "It's not easy to win a title. It's the result of working hard as a team for a year." It seems that I realized.

Also, regarding the fact that Postecoglou, who was his teacher from the Yokohama M era, was appointed as the manager of the English Premier League Tottenham from next season, he said, "I think he is a wonderful person, and I have something I have accumulated as a manager, so I can do it on a higher stage. I think.I want to do my best not to lose."

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  20. BigDoggyWoofWoof

I think Maeda is absolutely dreaming if he thinks he's capable of making it to a higher stage. Maybe relegation fodder for the EPL, maybe. Be shocked to see Ange go in for him for Spurs.