1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JamesM09

I think after a first year like Ange's we should be banging down a decent contract, for sure.

People are quick to criticise him for leaving and to say we had an offer for him lined up.. well we could've banged down a huge offer and a 3 year contract any time before this speculation started.

NakamuraTastic and Artorias like this.
  2. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Aye now he's gone, there's no reason beating around the bush anymore, our performance in Europe this season was unacceptable tbh.

A mediocre Shaktar side and a Leipzig side we should have at least challenged for second. To come out of that group with 0 wins was really disappointing tbh.

Lennon beat Lazio twice and topped a group most of us thought we'd finish third in. Rodgers wasn't great during the group stages but he was excellent in the qualifying stages.

Ange definitely made up for it with his domestic results, but I expected much better in Europe from him, one thing to look forward to with the next manager.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2023
  3. Bonobhoy

Deal looked like it happened a number of weeks ago now. Maybe the reason why we were playing * for around 4 games at the time as well.

Heart not in it.

Waiting For An Alibi likes this.
  4. LTPS

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sign
    Talks have stalled apparently
    Ange says he has unfinished business at celtic

seamus1967 likes this.
  5. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Thing is, and unpopular as it may be to say this, Lenny clearly achieved the most in Europe out of all our managers since WGS. Yes, I know there were a few hidings along the way (as there were with all the others!) especially in that final season; but he did also give us some really memorable achievements and some truly great nights. None of the others did that (unless you count a draw against City as a great night).

It shows something IMO. Rodgers and Postecoglou are clearly much better coaches than Lennon and arguably (I certainly think so) Ronny was a better coach too; but you have to be willing to put your ego aside and play a certain way when you are up against teams that have better players than you have. Christ, the Huns reached the EL final last year and we were a much better team than them. I want to see a bit of pragmatism in the CL TBH.

Edit: also the importance of a GK who is a great shot stopper if you want to punch above your weight in Europe.

6. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    Ange is the ruthless unsentimental sort. He would gut our dressing room from top to bottom if it meant a modicum of success at his next job

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  7. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    He fed us a load of bull and we bought it, at least i did.

Onwards and upwards.

8. Captain Brown Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Do we think he knew he was off before the last hun game when he decided to throw too many untested/inexperienced players in against them?

Kind of a show to the board that we need to strengthen and not take a * manager for next season?

Can't accept that he doesn't care about the club. That's just not true imo. And may just be a wee way to help us.

Could also just me being daft, mind you :84:

The_Bhoy, Bangarangura and Jeannie960 like this.
  9. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    me too :54:

The Prof likes this.
  10. Waiting For An Alibi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I actually hope it was, therefore we could have approached candidates before others.

11. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    This is the greatest truth of all: appearance and function don't match well every time. Postecoglou, just like Rodgers and Deila, is a footballing idealist. That just won't work for an underdog in Europe.

12. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Apparently heading to PSG I'm hearing now from the guy in the chippy who sells recycled oil to Peter Lawwell to provide the energy source for his heated driveway.

Personally recommended by Mbappe

The_Bhoy and Artorias like this.
  13. Bonobhoy

This is another reason why id rather go for a manager that has already managed in England.....SO he knows what its already like and doesnt need to jump ship.

In saying that if Rodgers got it,imagine in January Arsenal sack Arteta....And look at Rodgers.....he be off like * on a shiny shovel again with no *

The_Bhoy likes this.
  14. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I'm having visions of David Brent failing his medical.

Leone Naka Fan, Cena and Garrymac1888 like this.
  15. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Sadly, I think that's right. I remember a decade ago wanting us to be less pragmatic and go toe to toe in Europe. My favourite Celtic game was the Juve one at CP. What I didn't understand was that you can only do that when you have players like Larsson, Lubo, Sutton, Bobo, Lambert, Petrov, Lenny...etc!

Well, as the saying goes, be careful what you wish for. I got my wish under Ronny, Rodgers and Postecoglou and I have learned my lesson.

The_Bhoy and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  16. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I missed that bit, what was it?

17. wulliebad

shut to * up.

18. wulliebad

Hate to do this but he could have signed a new deal like the rat did and then left so we got a few pounds for him leaving......im in danger of becoming very bitter since...KT,THE RAT AND NOW ANGE.

19. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    Yep, and you can guarantee that had he come out before the cup final and confirmed that there have been discussions with Spurs or that he was considering his options for next season, he would have been filleted for not being committed or focused on the match by many of the same people who are now saying that he should have been upfront and honest.

JamesM09 likes this.
  20. wulliebad

Did he not get offered a deal and he said something about liking rolling contracts becuase it keeps him on his toes.....im starting to think half of what he said was bullshit.

NakamuraTastic likes this.