1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Sgt Neppers*

That might be to limit the pay off due should they punt him, which is likely on their previous form.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  2. DonnyCelt

Instructed his agent since Conte was sacked that he wants the Spurs job. Disappointing if that's the case.

Rapidly losing respect for him now.

3. blackfish Screaming from beneath the waves...

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I genuinely thought he would stay.

I can’t believe he has willingly chosen Spurs after so many have said no. I can’t prove this, but my sincere opinion is that he has been offered a mega bucks contract (for us) and he didn’t commit and wanted to leave his options open. He is entitled to do that as initial 12 month rolling contracts are a two way street.

In mitigation of him not committing, he has worked his entire coaching career to build up to the highest level he can get to. He is in his late 50’s now and the chance might not come again to have a go in the top half of the EPL. I get that.

I also understand that visiting the same stadiums and the plastic pitches etc must eventually get difficult to motivate oneself for. Notwithstanding our staff and players are on wages that the supporters could only dream of so motivation should not be a problem, but it still must be.

The negative media always looking to talk down instead of praising and appreciating quality when they see it probably grind everyone’s gears too.

What can I say? I’m gutted. I haven’t felt like this since Henrik left. Ange was a magnificent public face of the club and had us entertained with some scintillating football. A stubborn bandit though that should have adapted tactics in Europe!

We’ve just won another treble and it seems a million miles away. We should be celebrating, but have been consumed by this circus.

I thought we’d get another year or two as I thought he loved it here, despite the negatives, and, if anything, his agents would have been sounding out Liverpool to see what the future lay for Klopp in a season or two? Maybe sees Spurs as a potential stepping stone?

Gutted, that’s the overriding feeling just now.

I just can’t fathom it. Far Eastern tour in the summer, future signings lined up. All of that hard work gone in an instant.

From the supporters and club perspective, there is no way on earth that this hasn’t been sorted by Ange and his advisors before Saturday. He looked like a guilty child on Saturday accused of eating all the chocolate. All the while denying it with it smeared on his fingers, shirt and side of his mouth.

Dermot Desmond, a sour face at the best of times, knew fine well he had been grafted on Saturday. His face said it all.

Alas, there can be no way back now and goodbye to Ange it must be. It could have been handled so much better. I know he wanted the focus to be on winning the cup and we did it, but you just don’t get a move done in 48 hours at this level of the game.

I am an old cynic and don’t care too much for hero worship anymore for too many of the players, but I thought Ange was a different calibre of person.

Just gutted.

4. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    So if the wages on offer and deals are true

3 year deal celtic on £50k a week = £7.8m

2 year deal spurs on £80k a week = £8.3m

He actually * off for a measly £500k

5. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    People say that but are they really? They've spent about £250million in the last 2 seasons, they are rich as * and they have players to sell like Kane, Son, Romero and whoever.

I'd think I could do a job there.

People talk about Mourinho and Conte like they are two footballing gods who can't fail they are too defensive shitebag style managers who were never going to be a success in that kind of job. You need to play attacking football with Spurs, gamble on younger players and have a go at teams, trying to be stuffy and defensive with like the 6th best squad is just setting the tone that your a team of shitebags who just don't want to get beat.

Ange will probably do really well there with the money they have and his style of play.

Mourinho and Conte for example would have shat it at the thought of Kane leaving as they play average football and need a goalscorer like that. Ange probably won't give a * if Kane stays or goes he'll just replace him with a guy who will suit pressing the opposition and playing quicker football with more pace.

People are acting like the Spurs job is hard work, they're richer than 75% of thier own League and 99.9% of World Football any good manager would think Spurs is a club you can build a top 10 European team easy. It shouldn't be a problem for a good manager to build a Spurs team that are better than Inter, AC Milan, Napoli, Dortmund, Sevilla, Atletico they've got much more money than those clubs and they can attract players. You've got to completely * the job up to be as bad as Spurs have been for 10 years.

The_Bhoy and Roadrunner like this.
  6. BigDoggyWoofWoof

The ideal outcome is they * him off. We've a squad based around how he sets up, half a dozen Japanese lad no other * can understand. I don't really care if he's been negotiating for a better job, that's just what you do. He's doing a good job here and I'd like to see him continue it.

7. Roadrunner Gold Member Gold Member

That’s not really the full story though is it? Who has the higher ceiling us or them? The potential for him is vastly higher at spurs than here

The_Bhoy and Skelleto like this.
  8. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Does it matter? His agents have obviously been telling him things.

9. JamesM09

Mate you're calling me a bawbag for slagging the forum for saying they know how to handle the players, while saying you know better than Ange how to handle HIS players before a cup final.

Gies peace.

To me most people seem disappointed with the news but generally understanding of how he handled it.

Seems when pushed for an improvement the only things people can say is, "He should've said before the final he was going to Spurs"..

10. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Maybe you're right, but Ange demands the players to constantly press. Tottenham have about 3 players that can press. Absolutely not Kane for a example. I can't see anything other than complete and utter failure, but i could not care less in all honesty if he leave us.

seanm and NakamuraTastic like this.
  11. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Mate their history suggests he will be punted

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  12. Captain Brown Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Do we think Ange would want a player playing for him that didn't want to be here?

Same should apply to him.

13. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Kane top target for Madrid to replace benzema… I’m pretty sure they’ll have an overhaul the same as he did here.

Kiro Kompiro likes this.
  14. murphy88

Better managers than Postecoglou have tried and failed in that time. So there is probably a reason for it.

15. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    He'll just sell them and sign guys who can. Romero, Hojbjerg and Kane are probably 3 fan favourites at Spurs and have done well for them but I wouldn't be surprised if Ange would sell all 3 as soon as he's in the job.

None of them suit his team and i'd bet he could get a better team on the park without them. It will probably surprised Spurs fans that they were blinded into thinking Harry Kane was keeping them afloat when really it probably doesn't matter if he's there or not they can be much better than they are without him.

Kiro Kompiro and Skelleto like this.
  16. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    You are being a cheeky condescending *.

Cheerio.

17. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    Fair point

18. murphy88

It won’t be easy to attract top players to Spurs. No Champions League football and managed by someone who isn’t exactly regarded as a top manager in world football. It will be a much tougher job than it was here, as he will find out in my opinion, when he is back looking for a job within a year.

The_Bhoy, Skelleto and McChiellini.. like this.
  19. Sgt Neppers*

Ange has his work cut out then...

Morcombe, The_Bhoy and NakamuraTastic like this.
  20. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Fair enough points.