1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

These were his comments post League Cup Final, after being touted in the media for the Leeds job. Bear in mind this was just 13 weeks ago.

“When people say ‘he’s going to go down the road or somewhere else with the first offer he gets’, it’s not how I’m wired, it’s not how I think,”

“But it doesn’t mean I am going to jump at anything that comes my way. I am really passionate about what I do and the people close to me know what is most important to me, what drives me and what keeps me sort of happy in my role. I couldn’t be happier.”

Postecoglou added: “I am still here even though people have been getting me out the door. I am hoping that over the course of time as long as I’m here, and I think you will be surprised how long I am here, I am just be consumed by what I do. That is to try to make this football club the best it can be and enjoy every minute of it."

2. King Kwon Gold Member Gold Member

Personally I wouldn't be too upset with him if he takes the Spurs job. He's 58 not 38. That kind of money and opportunity at this stage of his career may never come up again. But while he didn't ever say he'd be here for a certain amount of time, he did say "people will be surprised by how long I'm here" so it's not a great look if he leaves the same year he says that :fear:

Yoshi likes this.
  3. StevieBhoooy!

He means bringing Spurs back for a pre-season friendly.
    Not for me .. under that scenario I’d just give notice day 1 and let his contract expire… at least we have a years notice to replace.

That said… if he is interviewed and fails… I’d rather he went anyway.

seanm and bhoy81 like this.
  4. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Totally would.
    Just coz the job is in the public eye doesn't mean you should just have blind loyalty. If he was 5 years and was * stirring of course I'd be * off.

Say the company you work for and you'd been there a couple of years but you got told of an opportunity elsewhere...would you just say no? Bollocks. Would the company and your colleagues * talk you? Nope (u less you were a *).

If ange has been told a team in the top 6 in England might be interested you would owe it to yourself as a professional to at least listen.
    Hes been a manager for 20+ years and has always said he relishes a challenge.

Doesn't owe celtic anything. And for all this talk about soundbites. You can't come out publicly until a deal is done or being talked.
    We seen at the league Cup final with his post match...he was holding back tears. For his own achievements and for what he has managed to do at celtic in a short space of time.

If he's still here for next season he will 100% be focused on celtic and I will be 100% behind him

seamus1967, seanm, bhoy81 and 2 others like this.
  5. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hes also said several times in football anything can change in a day.

People are assuming he has known for months

6. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

The soundbites I’m talking about are not what came after the Spurs interest, it’s the sort of thing @Seán Mac D posted above.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  7. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bang on the money.

JC Anton and seamus1967 like this.
  8. murphy88

Exactly. Folk are conjuring up all sorts of stories.

JC Anton likes this.
  9. Paradise_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    For me if he did speak to them and didn’t get the job I still think the board won’t fully back him after this.

Going by the facial expressions yesterday the know something and are * off if they offered him everything and he’s still willing to talk to other clubs.

Either way it’s not going to end well for both parties I’d probably still back him not as much as before and I’m sure the board will have 2nd thoughts in some ways.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  10. EddieBhoy1986

The side came calling because his agent and his pal have been working on it bts.

11. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wasn't aimed at yourself mate.

Just putting the point across that anything can change in a day and its unprofessional to talk about rumours or anything like that.

Sean Daleer likes this.
  12. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

That’s what I mean though. I completely understand that things can change. Ange is a very astute guy so don’t say these things if you don’t intend to see it through if a better offer comes along.

It’s not that he might want the challenge or a wage rise, it’s that everything he has said up to now suggests he wasn’t that person.

neilly1987 and EddieBhoy1986 like this.
  13. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

According to Desmond he discussed exactly this before appointing Ange:

"I said to him Celtic is more than a club and it can't be a mercenary role to take the money and use it as a stepping stone, passing on, being something that you're going to use Celtic as your career development rather than Celtic is the club you want to intimately pursue and manage.

"He gave this great reply, 'In the words of the Proclaimers, I will walk 500 miles and I will walk 500 more to manage Celtic'. So I said, that's our man."

I'm not going to sit here and pretend that Spurs isn't a good opportunity for a guy but if the plan was always longer term and creating a legacy, which has been strongly intimated by Ange's own words then leaving part-way through the project is pretty poor.

14. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    20230604_123234.jpg

Clubs just won a world record 8th treble tells you everything

15. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    He will set up his kids for life even more so, let’s not kid ourselves if you got offered it you would take it.

He moved his family halfway around the world, moving them down to London will be * all.

seanm likes this.
  16. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    I think with Spurs now not being a top 6 side they are looking to get someone in who can take them back there.

Finishing 8th and no European football will cost them as they run the club as a tight ship.

The possibility of losing Kane this summer will set them back even further.

It’s a big job no doubt but it’s also a poison chalice.

NakamuraTastic, neilly1987 and seanm like this.
  17. Bellbhoy Gold Member Gold Member

If this quote is true I'll drive him down myself

18. Cumbernauld Bhoy67

I don’t think it will be the same after this if he does stay, as others have said if he’s willing to talk to other clubs the board won’t back him like they would have and i’m not sure he’ll be respected in the same way he was by the fans. It might be for the best if he goes.

seanm likes this.
  19. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

Any manager will say what they need to say to to get the job, things change when they become successful and in demand.

Creating a legacy is a good line to feed to fans and the Board.

neilly1987, seanm and Seán Mac D like this.
  20. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Mixed emotions on this, love the guy and want him to stay. That being said, boiled down in its simplest form, Ange is a Greek born man that has been brought up in Australia - not Glasgow. 3 years ago he would have been dreaming about managing a club our size and we took a punt on him and he made an absolute success of it. When you are that successful you will draw attention from other clubs. As an ambitious manager with no previous ties to our club he will feel that he has to talk to clubs like Spurs when they come sniffing. It will be a huge personal wage boost, his transfer kitty will be even bigger again. He entered football management for two reasons, his love of the game and a method to give his family all they ever wanted. Spurs are capable of giving him a bigger wage, bigger kitty and that will wet his ambitions.

We all know we are a bigger club than spurs and we always will be, Ange knows this but the reality is he will be looking at the next step and spurs have a lot to offer right now. The world of football right now is crazy, Spurs should never be more attractive to a football manager than us but unfortunately it seems the reality is that every manager in the land will sacrifice do whatever it takes to manage a top half English team.

Really really hope the whole cash injection into English football comes crashing down one day. It sickens me

Yoshi and seanm like this.