1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I’ve got more respect for Bangura. There’s a man who told us he wanted to go the premier league in England at his unveiling press conference.

I never knew he meant buying a ticket to sit in the stands and watch at the time but still, a man with principle :giggle1:

2. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Ah thats fine then aye! As I said I hadn’t seen it, just figured he’d asked him if he was staying.

Random Review likes this.
  3. Bellbhoy Gold Member Gold Member

He will be moving to a city with a cost of living that is orders of magnitude greater than Glasgow.
    I never gave my heart to him like I did with Rodgers at the time, fool me once.
    But I hate the way they sweet talk us.
    He's done a great job and when he goes I'll wish him the best.
    But it's time, even if it's not Tottenham.

4. Waiting For An Alibi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Just like Sutton, Hartson and Thompson came, fell in love with the club and still support us to this day. 3 players who played in that league, and seen they were more appreciated here.

Badge kissers like Di Canio couldn't wait to go.

5. Patrick Bateman

Unfortunately this isn’t true.

Too many of our fans jumped on the hype train, like Ange was some genius manager and he could become one of us if we showed him enough love. It was always a bit cringy tbh. But what can you do? People feel how they feel about things… this sport and this club is about passion. (Some people’s passion overtakes their common sense I think)

I never bought into the hype. Apart from anything else, you’re setting yourself up for a pointless let down in most cases.

He’s a professional manager. And he’s a solid manager, with some good attributes. But with some of our fans, you’d swear he was the 2nd coming of big jock or something… stupid brain dead stuff.

Once I seen the lack of an intelligent game plan in Europe, I knew we weren’t looking at that sort of calibre manager. Although I was interested to see if he might have taken some lessons from last season, and have another crack at it.

He’s done a very fine job domestically for us however. If he leaves, I’ll wish him well and thank him for the success and happy moments he created. You can never take any sort of success for granted.

There’s plenty of talented managers out there. I just hope we pick one of the better ones available and back them in the transfer market. Hopefully we can get someone with a bit more experience than Ange at the top level in the CL. I know that’s asking a lot on our budget, but you can always hope as a fan.

6. James Gold Member Gold Member

I know that's obviously a joke but that is the other side of it though Imagine Ange or Rodgers sat at their unveiling and said I'd like to be successful for a spell then hope to move on to the English Premier league as I think it's the highest level I can aspire to. You would want them out the door before even taking a training session

Kiro Kompiro likes this.
  7. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

8. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Playing devils advocate here.

Spurs interview him but go for another candidate.

He is here for next season would you get behind him again and believe anything he says?

I will be honest if he does stay I will get behind him but hope the club tie him into a 3/4 year deal with a * large buy out clause.

9. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Tbf, all we really know is Spurs have him as one of their preferred targets..

And true to form Ange hasn't commented on the speculation..

That's it..:56:

10. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Aye this is probably on me mate. I bought in heavily. An immigrant moving to a country where they’ve weren't immediately welcome, a man who has had to bite and scratch for any bit of success.

Honestly thought we might have found someone ready to build a dynasty.

As I said yesterday. Rodgers burned me, Ange will break my heart.

11. Lewis Kerr

I agree with most of your posts on the matter, Ange should have avoided the claims of building a legacy and making us a European force etc. "You'll be surprised how long I'm here for" is one that sticks out the most, it just makes him look disingenuous. It isn't quite Brendan levels but it still doesn't sit right.

With that said it isn't just about money, that's nothing more than comfort blanket imo. He clearly sees the EPL as the pinnacle of club football. The CL actually is that but the bright lights of England seems to be swaying him. It's a glamorous league where he'll be testing himself most weeks against top sides with world class players and some of the best managers in the world. That will be his motivation more than anything.

If he was true to his word though he wouldn't leave until he's made a sizable impact in Europe for us. That's the sickening thing, don't speak about it unless you're willing to follow through. Unfortunately he probably sees Spurs as the more attractive option because of the league they play in. Most managers would. Spurs are a pretty big club too, that helps.

We thought Ange was different, and to an extent he is, but where we fall on the footballing pyramid these days will always be our downfall. I doubt we'll ever get a manager who will stay long enough to build a true legacy while we play in Scotland. It's sad, but it is what it is.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  12. Waiting For An Alibi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I would definitely back him. If he wants his reputation to increase, he needs to keep his standards up and improve in Europe. Whose to say the next guy we bring in, won't have this situation too?

NakamuraTastic and Random Review like this.
  13. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

If this is you calmed down, I'd hate to see the nick of your padded cell on a bad day mate :yeah:

14. James Gold Member Gold Member

I 100% would be behind him if he does go literally anyone else who is appointed will feel like a downgrade. If he doesn't go to Spurs then I would assume the board will get him tied down to a long term deal.

bhoy81 likes this.
  15. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I loved at the end he said. Glad I’m not emotional these days. Brilliant.

Not a dig Bellbhoy mate.

16. seanm

* these year rolling contracts for managers.make them commit to a 3 year or more one.but no one is bigger than the club no one except jock stein imo.We move on. If Ange is away tell us now then we can get on with business don't use us to get a better deal.just be straight with us. This can't fester.we have CL to plan for.if any man can walk away from the love our fans showed Ange yesterday he's a better man than me.HH

17. Bellbhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Pulled down all the posters and buried my cut-out last night. The dogs were distraught.

Sean Daleer and Seán Mac D like this.
  18. EddieBhoy1986

Not necessarily, there are other factors like work life ballance, uprooting family thay have absolutely played into my decision making when it comes to jobs in the past.

Either way the man is a millionaire, once you are earning a certain amount (an amount well below £1m btw) anything ontop of that is greed and nothing else.

NakamuraTastic and Bellbhoy like this.
  19. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone/ Fields of Athenry
    I've got no reason to not believe anything he says, he never said he would be here for a certain amount of time and I do think he would probably would be here for atleast another season if the spurs job never came up, I just don't think he or anyone would've anticipated a top six side would come calling this early on.

20. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Things,

Can only get better

:party048:

LectersLuncheon and Bellbhoy like this.