1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I agree with the sentiment, but still find myself in the ‘can’t blame him’ camp.

Too many people are downplaying how enticing an opportunity this would be for a manager who backs himself, at Ange’s stage of his career. I said before that the next step up from Tottenham is basically the super clubs, and I stand by it. He’s not going directly from us to any of them.

The legacy stuff leaves a bit of a bad taste, but I genuinely just think he’s assumed an opportunity like this wasn’t going to come up anytime soon. It could happen to anyone, in any line of work, and they could leave regardless of how much they like their current place of work.

Kiro Kompiro, Westlondonscot and Wllm like this.
  2. DEADEYECFC

Fav Celtic Player:
    teemu pukki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Naglesmann looks fab for psg now

Sent from my CPH2375 using Tapatalk

3. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    His ability and success brought him here, and we showed him love because he brought success here. Absolutely nothing more to it than that.

People here are acting like he owes us far more than he really does, and you can see how quickly sentiment can turn in this game.

4. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Regardless of how this pans out for Ange, WE need to be making moves on Knutsen NOW.

Same as Spurs. Just have his agent put the word in his ear.

We can't afford to * about all summer looking for a manager. The squad needs strengthened in areas, and no doubt offers will pour in for our players.

Get Knutsen in yesterday, attacking 433 possession based football. Best transition we can hope for.

"Here mate, here's a 100 percent pay rise, a ready made squad which can play your system, and a shot at the CL, oh , and here's a tidy 20m to play with"
    Offer * writes itself.

No offence, love big Ange, but as far as I'm concerned he left after he lifted the cup. Onto Celtic business now.
    Get the finger oot Nicholson.

5. Mr Cleansheets

At least he can speak English at Spurs.

How many nationalities do they have at Marseille? He'd have to learn * Esperanto...

We never stop! Ni nenium cesas!

NakamuraTastic, Dannybhoy81 and James like this.
  6. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

If it wasn’t for everything he said over the last 2 years I honestly wouldn’t feel like this.

He was quoting Tommy the other day, a man so devoted to this club he went from manager to youth team coach.

I mean ffs, we had a Lisbon Lion cleaning the kits. That’s what Celtic means to me.

Seems it’s well known now that a couple of soundbites and you’re golden.

7. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

Bingo. He brought us success and that’s what he was brought in to do. More success than was expected at the start of last season, that’s for sure.

I understand the gripe about the “you’ll be surprised at how long I’ll be here” comment. That was ill thought out if he does leave this summer.

Until that’s confirmed though, and especially since we’re not privy to the talks that have taken place, if any, there’s just a lot of meaningless conjecture and spur of the moment reactions in here.

8. Bellbhoy Gold Member Gold Member

100% he had the talent. But did you see clubs lining up for him?
    He said himself he didn't see anyone giving him a role in Europe.
    We did, he then waffled on about his love of football, the passion, the fans.
    The sop stories about him and his dad.
    Soundbites like "you'll be surprised how long I'm here" and others.

And then moves to a soulless, passionless club like Tottenham?
    Just reeks.

9. Paradise_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    If this does happen and then Ange has no spurs option I would say West Ham. Karen Brady etc was talking him up.

I definitely think his agent is speaking to one of spurs or West Ham or both tbh. Either way he can’t be fully backed here now with the way it’s all panning out

DEADEYECFC likes this.
  10. James Gold Member Gold Member

That's 100% what will stick in the throat but Rodgers made me learn that lesson and he had far more a 'connection' to Celtic than Ange ever had. He doesn't owe us anything and he's not came from a Celtic background if he has an offer there to triple his salary it'll be hard to say no

11. Bellbhoy Gold Member Gold Member

How much money does one family need?
    It's no like * ever have to struggle.
    We're not paying him peanuts.

12. saltire78

Ange is leaving - I hate him, he's a traitor!
    Ange is staying - I hate him, he's a traitor!

FFS! He's a successful manager, with clear talent and ability playing at the right kind of level to be getting noticed by most of the big clubs as a credible cheap purchase to improve them. He's gonna get interest, and that's that.

On Ange's side, it's a * job. He's been with us for 2 seasons and gave us massive improvement, 5 of 6 domestic trophies and reaffirmed the lagging confidence we had after the disastrous 10iar season. He owes us * all else! Yes he gets well paid, but he * earns it.

As for quoting back things like 'surprised how long' and 'owe the fans' that's just silly to get upset about. It just means he was, and probably still is, very happy here and is loving his time and experience. It's not a binding contract of marriage. I like my job, the people are great and it's the kinda company I could stay with all the way to retirement... Doesn't mean I'm actually going to do that! Especially if a bigger, better, more challenging position comes along, where I'll get paid as much as 5 times more money...

Mr Cleansheets likes this.
  13. Waiting For An Alibi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Guys like Larsson, who didn't grow up a Celtic fan, staying with us for most of their careers are a rarity. The decision to stay was more straight forward for fans like McStay, who could have played in Serie A, yet chose to lead us through some dark times.

It's easy for us to say as fans that he should straight up knock them back, for a job in maybe 2 years. Ange is 57. A chance like this may never come again.

I am biased though. What I would never get, is how you could stand in front of those fans singing your name, and that spine tingling version of YNWA yesterday, and not have the thought go through your mind, "Why the * would I leave this? I wouldn't get this backing anywhere else."

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  14. JamesM09

This is why I don’t think it will be the worst thing if he goes now to be honest. It’s been an amazing two years and he’s put us in a fantastic position, but if we can get the right person in then it would be a good time for Ange to go.

15. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Again though, if reports are to be believed, we’ve offered him 70k a week.

Not exactly minimum wage.

Look I understand the lure of that shitehole down south. Just don’t be make claims you are willing to abandon for a wage rise.

It’s not difficult.

16. murphy88

And how would he get offered a top job elsewhere? It would be because he would be successful here with us. So in order to do that, he would need to then be fully committed.

The board would be mental not to fully back him, because thus far, he has shown unbelievable recruitment, and has brought in players we stand to make a lot of money on. Something I can assure you the board will be over the moon about.

17. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Henrik further reinforces the point. Wasn’t a badge kisser, didn’t go overboard with the soundbites.

He let his actions speak for themselves.

18. James Gold Member Gold Member

I don't disagree at all mate but for a guy with no real history with the club and the chance to go to the supposed best league in the world with one of the supposed big teams and on a * ton more than he is currently.
    Again I don't disagree but even at the time when he gave those sound bites I never put much weight in them purely because we've been stung in the past. Loyalty is dead in football largely. I would say I think Ange has a lot more about him than Rodgers though even if he goes he's gone the right way about it wait til the season is done end on a high as opposed to * off in the middle of the night. Time will tell I suppose but I think he's gone he's had to many chances to close the rumours down and not taken them

19. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    A mate of mine knows a lad who owns a restaurant in Bodo who said he seen knutsen has just taken up sushi rolling lessons. Read into it what you will.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

20. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    It is though, he is not getting 3.6 million though is he? After tax is nearly half.

If you have two companies, one you work for and then someone else comes in and offers you more money, you are going.