1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

2. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Someone that can have us attacking domestically like we have had with Ange but who would be a little more pragmatic in Europe.

3. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    You also have to look at the flip side of things, had Ange been a failure he may have been sacked early doors, it's always a gamble, a roaring success and he draws attention from other clubs, either way there is no real stability over a long period of time.

Westlondonscot likes this.
  4. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    That’s what we need someone who has a plan B in Europe and be more conservative at times when needed and be able to defend a lead.

I Hope we can get this in a new manager if Ange or when he leaves

5. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    The only way I can see him coming back from this is if he signs a long term deal and even then, I’d probably struggle with it to be honest.

Just think we need to go out separate ways now. You can change your mind, of course you can but it’s just been a huge mess. If there is a refusal to come out and say anything tomorrow, I’d hope that the club take it upon themselves to say something.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  6. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone/ Fields of Athenry
    I've gone through all the emotions theses past days. Friday I was angry, Saturday was sadness and today its finally acceptance.

Although I don't think anything is finalised yet, on either side. And I do believe there have been talks with Luis Enrique aswell so spurs and whatever manager they decide to go for will have decisions to make.

I agree though that it won't be the same if ange ends up staying but I would still back him.

7. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    It's his perogative to talk to other clubs, that in itself would suggest his mindset is not fully focused on Celtic, so in that respect it's better that he goes anyway, if talks were to fall through it would leave us with a manager who dosen't want to be here.

Canny have a situation where he would be biding his time until another offer comes in.

8. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Very surprised there still appears to be doubt on here.

He's gone "on holiday", where his agent will finalise the details and set up the move. He won't even have to return to Glasgow, or say goodbye to the players, remember his own advice? Don't get emotionally attached.

For me, he said one teeny thing after the cup final whist speaking to a reporter which nailed it on for me. ",whatever happens next...".

He's 100 percent gone imo. His loop about the stadium applauding is didn't hit like "thank you". It was goodbye.

So again. Cheerio Ange. Thanks for the trophies.

We move on.

Morcombe and Creativecelt like this.
  9. murphy88

It absolutely would have shifted the focus. You only need to look at what is getting said on here to know it would have shifted the attention. I want him to say he is staying as well, but the fact is, he was never going to say one way or the other yesterday. Anyone thinking he was is naive at best.

10. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    This morning the feelgood factor should be off the scale, we've created history yesterday, but the elephant in the room has cast a shadow over our achievements, which no doubt we will fully appreciate over time.

11. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Yep we’ve seen it with players who can’t commit, Ange is eager to move them on.

12. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    Yeah it's been a massive eff up all right. It's more disappointment on my behalf really rather than anger. We gave him his best shot and now he's offski at the sniff of another gig. Absolutely no loyalty to the club that took him from the backwaters. I would have been..ok..this will be my last season, I'll take one more crack at the Champion's League and then I'm going to test myself at a higher level..purely on the fact that we pulled him out of the footballing backwater.

He's left us with a half done job. We now have players he's selected for a longer term project going errr *...and a new manager coming in and going err...ok...so the next bloke is going to have to be a good fit. I think 'meh' sums it up for me. I just don't care now. I've personally turned down higher paying jobs because I've looked at them, looked at the shifts and the whole work environment and gone = eff that, the money's not worth it for that, my life is better in this current role etc. The grass isn't always greener.

Anyway, whatever..we move on. Personally, if he goes to spurs, he'll be sacked within 4-6 months is my guess..and he can't really stay here now as if he tries to sign other players, they'll be like..yeah nice speech mate on your project.. but you'll be offski as soon as you can. Meh!

13. Sgt Neppers*

Like I said, James Forrest is dramatic at times and definitely over egging the cake wi that comment in particular. He even goes to far in saying we plucked Ange from obscurity.

However, some other things mentioned are correct and have been raised here on this thread already. Questions about our plans for the squad and preseason in doubt. Relationship wi the board cannae be good. Ange wants everyone committed, well so do we.

I hope we get a swift conclusion regardless.

14. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    This.

Whilst he's been absolutely spot on in focusing on the game, if he has, and I think most of us have accepted that he's HAS, spoken to Spurs through intermediaries, then his position is untenable.

Can't have a manager with foot out the door leading us next season. No matter how good he is. The players are far less likely to buy the "we never stop" mantra from a manager who is looking to get off the bus.

Morcombe and The Prof like this.
  15. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Good read that and spot on

Lol - The Legacy - 'he came off sounding like a third rate politician or a guy who’s been caught climbing out of someone else’s bedroom window.'

Yeah this is * too
    'Our plans for next season are already in place … that guy made those plans.
    And now he’s not going to stick around and put them into motion?'

If you asked your significant other if he or she was committed to the relationship and they hesitated, obfuscated and skirted around giving you a direct answer you would be wise to conclude that one of you would shortly be packing their bags.

It doesn’t matter what happens next, that relationship is not going back to the way things were.

When someone doesn’t answer a question like that then things have irrevocably changed. He is not committed to the cause; this is what led to Juranovic and Giakoumakis being sold when they were both one year into long term deals.

He emphasised that point himself; when someone’s not 100% on board then it’s time to move them on.

So the relationship Ange had with us is over, whether he stays or not.

16. Bonobhoy

33 years since they last won * anything...Big Club My *.

bhoy81, NakamuraTastic and gazb1888 like this.
  17. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

The focus was already shifted, has been for at least a week. If anything, Ange announcing he was staying in front of his adoring public on The Celtic Way would have been the perfect end to a perfect day.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt before the cup final as he always been about the next game.

Yesterday though showed me his head has been turned though and he is clearly keeping his options open, which he is clearly entitled to do.

18. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    * that, I want it written into the terms he has an obligation to buy at least Barkas, Ajeti, McCarthy and Bernabei at the very minimum.

19. Sgt Neppers*

He loves a wee bit of creative/dramatic flair for sure.

20. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    A 2 man strike force? What is this parallel universe you be in?