1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. jimbobers Gold Member Gold Member

Think he’s definitely away and pretty gutted . Let’s hope the club do as well in respects of a new manager as they did in getting Ange

2. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    For people saying he "won't get another/ better" chance.... C'mon now.

TWELVE managers have been sacked in the EPL this season alone, with two "big clubs" Chelsea and Spurs sacking TWO each. TEN the season before.

That league is a * mince grinder. He's already been linked with SIX jobs down there this season alone. And any league where a rookie manager with a dog * trophy return of 1 out of 9 can get a gig isn't a worry.

The only justifications would be the massive riches, and more likely, Ange's age.

3. CountyDownFaithful

It’s looking increasingly likely taking everything into account.

Ange could have shut the rumours down yesterday and he didn’t.

All the noise coming from the Spurs camp is that they want him and going to make a big push for him after the Cup final.

We will know by Monday/Tuesday if he’s going IMO.

4. Darksel

* up you

5. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    At least half those links were probably fabricated by the Scottish press. Him being considered by Brighton seemed to be legit, while there were also English reports about him being on a Chelsea shortlist, maybe Leeds too. But there's a big difference between 'being considered' or 'on a shortlist' and actually being the preferred candidate and talks being scheduled, if that is in fact the case.

I've now entered the camp of: If he gets offered the job, he's off. Hope I'm way off through.

6. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    There was definitely a bit of that here when Ange arrived but the Howe fiasco overshadowed his appointment.
    It was more the fact that, yet again, we weren’t getting our first choice target that upset a lot of us rather than arrogance towards Ange’s CV.
    He was a panic appointment that, luckily for the board, has turned out to be fantastic.

7. horseshoe

I'm not really sure the previous links were serious though, always smelled like our media desperately hoping he'd leave so linking him with every job going.

It's hard to break into the merry go round of jobs down there if you don't already come from a decent level european league, and Munn being at spurs is probably a big part of why the interest this time actually seems solid, so he could see it as his best opportunity to take it while it's there, instead of assuming there would be genuine interest when other jobs open up and they wouldn't just go for another 'big' name that's already floating around down there.

That's just the arrogance you're up against trying to break into that league, and why I don't really think Slippy is relevant in this conversation tbh, he didn't get a job down there on merit as a manager, it was 100% because he was already a big name in english football.

8. LTPS

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sign
    Spurs can’t offer European football

9. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    Let's face it. Tottenham are in a different stratosphere financially to Celtic. London is a global city. The EPL is the Hollywood of football. There's not a manager in the world who would turn it down from Celtic

10. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Sensible first part of the post, but if Levy wants him, it's because he wants a cheap puppet. Ange values himself too much to go along.

11. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    Silver lining to Ange leaving, and this is grasping a bit, but after the end of the season when you know theres no Celtic for a couple months. That's always depressing. At least a managerial search will keep things interesting? Yeah I know, grasping

12. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Even if it’s true that ange will talk to Spurs, I don’t think Levy can pitch a better offer. That team will need a full rebuild and possibly lose their biggest players with no European football.

He’s knows another season here and a chance to prove himself and the team in CL football will leave him in a better position for jobs down South.

Also that fact he’s effectively said several times he’s not going anywhere.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  13. TheHappyLoss

Getting close to that ah well * off if that’s what you want moment to make myself feel better:fear:

14. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    That's what everybody said when he came here, i.e. the board's new yes-man. He was never going to be anything of the sort. So he'll likely talk to Levy and this Scott Munn fella to see what the lay of the land is.

But I'm not ruling it out through some mistaken notion that no decent manager will ever work under Levy again. Poch was highly successful working with Levy as has been established. While on the other hand, Mourinho and Conte are known to be difficult to work with and have had issues with chairmen at other clubs too.

horseshoe likes this.
  15. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    No doubt the SMSM will see this as some type of victory in their quest to help their favourite team if Ange goes. Feckers the lot of them

Noskeil and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  16. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Ange isn't a softie either. He will clear out rosters and make established players leave if he deems it necessary. Sounds like he might step on Levy's toes, too.

17. Yorkshirecelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    He won't take any of our players down south if he goes. I love kyogo reo and cal mac but I don't think he will deem them top 4 material which he will aim for.

Let's be realistic.

If he wants some Japanese players he will aim for the wee Brighton player etc

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  18. Mr Cleansheets

I've been travelling OS for a few months now and have had little time for the forum - in Italy at the moment - but speed-reading through this thread it seems I'm being accused by some of trying to sell Ange to Spurs.

FFS, I could go full flamewar on such lunacy, but instead I simply refer anyone interested to all of my most recent posts on this thread. I've been here since 2013 and am actually a Celtic fan - not just an Ange fan. So give it a * rest.

I want Ange to stay.

Still think he might, but would have preferred a more definitive statement from him on his future.

Creativecelt likes this.
  19. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    The SMSM is our version of Daniel Levy, toxic as *

Wee Baldy likes this.
  20. deano_bhoy

Not sure about that. Ange isn't going to blow his one chance at the EPL with one hand tied behind his back. By that I mean not having control over transfers etc. There's a reason why 4 or 5 managers have already been offered the job and they haven't ended up taking it - because the chairman is a control freak.

Ange will want to do it all on his terms so it's not as cut and dry as 'if he gets offered it he will take it'.

Ange might get assurances about having control and that might be enough for him to take the job but we all know that won't end up happening.

Ange is a smart man and he'll take that all into account. I just think a lot still needs to happen before it's a done deal.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.